Heelychat Forum Index
<  General  ~  old & getting started
beeporama
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:21 am  Reply with quote

I wish I'd discovered this forum before I bought, but I'm a 32-year-old from Pittsburgh, PA who just bought a pair of Reflex 9113's. Did I choose the wrong shoes to start with?... this is way harder than I expected, I can barely balance on the wheels, much less propel myself without falling over. Should I have gotten something with a different wheel type?

Did everyone else pick these up quick, or did it take a while to be able to move? Maybe my lack of skating experience in general (I haven't even roller skated in years) is to blame?
terrain190
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:56 am  Reply with quote

i bought the reflexes also they are pretty good for me. i'm 17 and it took me about a day or so to pick these things up i'm still not to good on them i'm not horrible i'm just starting to feel confident with them and i have had them about 2 and 1\2 weeks. However my g/f she is 16 and she bought the atomics and she isn't going to fast or anything on them. she has had them a week and she is finally tryin to go backwards on them you should pick them up within the week. the reflexes are an amazing shoe people don't even look twice at me when they see me heeling. because they juss look like some nike shox. but yeah man you will pick it up really quickly about 3 days you should be getting a bit more confident.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:06 am  Reply with quote

terrain190 wrote:
you will pick it up really quickly about 3 days you should be getting a bit more confident.

Thansk for the reply. It's been four days, but I've just been wearing them around the house, not specifically "practicing" hard... how much time did you dedicate to them?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

34 year old guy here just picked them up around late Sept. I didn't really use them except at work around the cube farm for the first few weeks. I'm starting to get confident enough to use them between work and home.

The only problem I've enountered is that I can't heel longer then 5 feet Embarassed

I tried to get the strong foot directly behind the front foot, but that seems awkward. Having the strong foot behind and to the side seems to work. Just keep practicing. Hopefully I'll be zipping along farther then 5 feet.

I bought the Heely Laser.
terrain190
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

i dedicated about 3 hours roughly a day? i wear them practically everywhere school, driving, walmart, the airport, target, the mall, parking lots anywhere you can think of i've been there atleast athe common places. but you will get it.

Slicer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:43 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

Ah, I feel your pain. I'm 24, and it took me days before I was able to actually go down a decent hill without stopping. It's a combination of physical ability and psychology. You have to train your feet to accept that they're not always going to be enjoying friction, and that they WILL be stopping hard and unexpectedly from time to time. There's a certain mindset involved. You have to simply accept that one of these days, you're going to eat an unhealthy meal of solid pavement (if you never do, count yourself very lucky indeed).

Wear them *everywhere*. Grocery stores, the office, etc etc. Shopping carts are excellent to train on (be prepared for some seriously bumped shins, however). It's the only way to get the hang of it. Sooner or later you'll wonder why anyone wears regular shoes...

cereal187
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:45 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
34 year old guy here just picked them up around late Sept. I didn't really use them except at work around the cube farm for the first few weeks. I'm starting to get confident enough to use them between work and home.

I love my Slides at work, I get some REALLY funny looks as I glide down the halls, or into meetings... Laughing
Heelynut
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

I'm even older than you...and it took me some time to learn.
A shopping cart is great to balance youself behind but suggest putting some weight in it so it won't tip backwards.
With a good push off, you should be able to able to Heely 40+ feet in the Reflexes on a level flat surface (80+ feet with Mega wheels).
If you do swizzles, you can go even further.
In a mall I go to, the floor has a slight grade east to west...I can go hundreds of feet. I could probably go further but it's hard for me to hold the heelying position for more than 30-40 seconds at one time.
I've been Heelying over 3 1/2 years...I heely everwhere. I have my heelys on 99% of my waking hours with wheels always in, ready to roll whenever I can.
merlyn_DHC
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:54 am  Reply with quote
Team Heelys - Northeast

Swizzles - Heelynut, you're awesome.

(most have settle on calling it the "propulsion switch" as in "a series of switches that generate propulsion).

But otherwise, the nut is right. A shopping cart, stock it with items, then assume the Heeling "V" position. Remember one foot is always in front of the other (this is called the Heely's "Golden Rule").

Step-Plant-Kick (video is on www.heelys.com) - hold the shopping cart .. and get used to the position. Go as slow as you like.

Then when you're comfortable, let go for a couple of seconds at a time.

I've known many an adult that have learn from this time honored method.

Good luck!
MDHZ

[Wed 7:53] Slicer: *looks at Merlyn's finger frenzy score*
[Wed 7:53] Slicer: *face screws up in a combination of amazement and a sort of horror*

[Fri 12:06] IVI4V3R1CK: hey Merlyn, if you don't mind me asking, whys your name yellow?
[Fri 12:07] merlyn_DHC: Because I'm Chinese
[Fri 12:08] merlyn_DHC: (isn't that obvious) ?
[Fri 12:08] IVI4V3R1CK: o.o... thats kinda wrong
[Fri 12:08] merlyn_DHC: HAHAHA

David: Hey RU there ?
H33LYcRaZeD: yeah
David: How things ?
H33LYcRaZeD: thongs arte good

Big Mac: to go to camp quality to give lessons and give away hoes
jog1118
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:15 am  Reply with quote

heya!

im 30 and just got my stealth 2 days ago. perhaps i have an edge over you since i have experience using rollerskates and inline skates.

just keep on rolling and you'll get it soon enough
merlyn_DHC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:13 am  Reply with quote
Team Heelys - Northeast

Anonymous wrote:

The only problem I've enountered is that I can't heel longer then 5 feet Embarassed

Two suggestions - move to a model with a larger wheel. You'll go farther.

The Laser came with ABEC-1. All the large wheel models (so far) has ABEC-7.

Going far is about balance, not speed. A good Heeler can step once and push off for 100+ feet. This is a common mistake with n00bs. They sprint and then start Heeling. If you fall, you stop right there.

Also, always scan the ground in front of you, if you're outside. This will save you from 50% of all the falls right there.

G'Luck! And put out some vids - even if its just rolling forward. Good to see some 30+ who are brave enough to try!

MDHZ

[Wed 7:53] Slicer: *face screws up in a combination of amazement and a sort of horror*

[Fri 12:06] IVI4V3R1CK: hey Merlyn, if you don't mind me asking, whys your name yellow?

seth1230
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:06 am  Reply with quote
Heelys Encyclopedia

merlyn_DHC wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Two suggestions - move to a model with a larger wheel. You'll go farther.

The Laser came with ABEC-1. All the large wheel models (so far) has ABEC-7.

Going far is about balance, not speed. A good Heeler can step once and push off for 100+ feet. This is a common mistake with n00bs. They sprint and then start Heeling. If you fall, you stop right there.

Also, always scan the ground in front of you, if you're outside. This will save you from 50% of all the falls right there.

G'Luck! And put out some vids - even if its just rolling forward. Good to see some 30+ who are brave enough to try!

MDHZ

except for glitz it came with abec 5

H4L&&&&BiGMaC BE MAH BFFLEZ
Heelynut
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

merlyn_DHC wrote:
Swizzles - Heelynut, you're awesome.

(most have settle on calling it the "propulsion switch" as in "a series of switches that generate propulsion).

Actually, David, I used "swizzles" to refer to weaving the feet slightly to provide propulsion...like scissors that in-line skaters do.
HN
ogel916
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

there's actually no wrong heelys to start out with. u can start out with any heelys and still get it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
merlyn_DHC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:18 pm  Reply with quote
Team Heelys - Northeast

ogel916 wrote:
there's actually no wrong heelys to start out with. u can start out with any heelys and still get it.

Correct. Just some are more condusive to going farther because of the wheel construction. That's all.