Heelychat Forum Index
<  Cesspit  ~  Something better than Heelys...>
Slicer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:27 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

Oh, I almost forgot the safety aspect.

Heelys are designed, inside and out, for performance. The shoe is made-to-order. When you buy Heelys, you buy the knowledge that someone sat down and said "Okay, this will go here, this here, and let's make the rubber out of this and this stuff, and put a heel cushion here.." Togos? They don't even bother putting down what shoes you should and should not attach. Sooner or later someone is going to attach a shoe that really shouldn't be used with them, and it's going to be ugly.

But let's forget the dry, technical discussion. Let's talk about little Jenny, whose mom just bought her a new pair of Togos after reading a certain fool's posts on heelychat.com and ignoring the replies.

For little Jenny, it's great. She gets to wear the shoes she wants and still roll around on them. She's never worn Heelys, so she doesn't know what she's missing. She straps the Togos onto her shoes and goes out to play with her friends. They roll around for a bit, laughing and playing.

And then suddenly her right foot's right wheel kisses a rock, the apparatus is driven sharply at an angle, her shoe slips clean out of the Togo with little loss of momentum, and she finds herself in gravity's unmerciful embrace.

Maybe the Togos were just too big for her little feet (one size never fits all), or maybe she didn't pull the strap tight enough, or maybe her older brother was using them and re-adjusted them for himself. It doesn't matter. What does matter is that little Jenny's skull lost its battle of inertia with the concrete beneath, and after all the screaming and the tears, she's not going to be in the advanced math courses anymore, and she'll have a rather bad stutter for the rest of her life. Ooh, shoulda worn your helmet, Jenny.. but a real pair of Heelys might have helped, too.

Make no mistake, it's easy to get creamed on Heelys. There's lots of stuff on this forum discussing just that. But if you do get yourself killed, it's not going to be the Heelys' fault.

jcardin is gay!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:51 pm  Reply with quote

Go to youtube.com and type in pliws, then pliws2, then pliws3 (really cool) to see the versatility/manueverability of the strappable style.

Slicer wrote:
I'm going to mention it again: Heelys tried this. If this style was actually long-term workable, we'd see a lot more Heelys Mack out there. Is there anyone on this forum with a pair of those?

There is no trick you listed- none- that cannot be done with Heelys. You ought to know this. In fact the inline style of Heelys makes said tricks much, much easier to do. I've seen videos of kids spinning like an Olympic ice skater on Heelys. I'd love to see anyone try that on those. How would you even get started?

Number of videos on YouTube featuring Heelys: 220
Number of videos on YouTube featuring Togo Skates: 0

(Side note: Number of videos on YouTube featuring skateboards: 60807. Ouch.)

Also, grinding is straight out the window with those things. If you had a pair of Soap shoes (note: Soap got bought out by Heelys) and you made the dismal mistake of attaching Togos, your wheels would get in your way.

How do you even steer properly? In Heelys I can weave in and out quite easily simply by pointing my toes. How can you weave in those, or even get a decent turn radius? Looks like the simple act of turning your foot would take some doing.

Stealth? Watching you talk about stealth like it's a bad thing reminds me of the guy who went back to dialup because broadband was too fast for him. If I wanted, I could wear my Fleets to a job interview, and just might some day. Both color patterns resemble men's dress shoes. Have you even read the rest of this forum? Do you have any idea how awesome the stealth aspect truly is, particularly for the younger among us who still have to worry about such things? It's akin to a skateboard that no one else can see. I don't think your Fisher-Price wheel attachments can beat that.

"But if people see you gliding around with no visible support, they'll think you're a freak!" A freak with superhuman powers, apparently, which nobody around here really minds. And when people see you walking around in public places wearing Togo skates, they won't think you're a freak..

..they'll know it. "Honey, stay away with the strange man with the ugly things on his shoes, and don't look him in the eye."
Legolover64
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

Whilst those pliws videos are neat, all of those moves can be pulled off on Heelys, and the Heelys are considerably more stealthy.

As Slicer has stated quite nicely.
deonet2198
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

i dont have big deuce wheels but i have mega wheels and a grind plate like soaps.
terrain190
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

i wore my heelys to my job interview 2days ago and the manager is about to hire me and doesn't even know i have heelys which is a good thing. you know well i have the heelys reflexes no one even knows i have heelys until i tell them.. well peace ..

wheel heel
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:57 pm  Reply with quote

jcardin if ur going to have a go at heelys go and 'togo' out of ur mommas basement and down to your closest store that sells heelys! this is a heely site jacardin! if you dont like htem go away stop trying to sell ur junk here! Mad Evil or Very Mad Exclamation

merlyn_DHC
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:06 pm  Reply with quote
Team Heelys - Northeast

LOL - This thread killed me!! HAHAHAHA!

You (Heelys) guys are awesome. I love the loyalty. Makes me be proud to be a Heeler.

Okay - let me set the record straight. This concept was tried by Heelys (not just the Mack) .. the Mack came at the same time, but they were separate R&D efforts by Heelys. Though the Macks were produced, real Heelers squelched it immediately.

First of all, we (the TEC Team) almost single handedly killed the Mack:
http://www0.epinions.com/content_155634273924

So for all you Mack lovers, you can blame us. After giving it a fair shake, we just didn't feel that it was the right direction for Heelys. And I'm glad the people at corporate agreed.

Second .. some time ago, Roger Adams (yes, the Roger Adams) sent me a proto-type and asked me to send him comments. I took it out of the box and stared at it.

As asked, I put it through its paces. First of all, the design was way out of whack. It retained none of the virtues of the wheel-in-the-heel design. Clunky and awkward you could neither skate, nor walk naturally. We immediately dubbed the proto-type "FrankenHeelys".

Grind? Are you kidding? There's simply no space for a grindplate .. and if there were, those massive honking wheels would kill you dead.

Sadly, I had to go back to the man and beg him never .. ever .. to produce these. There's something that few people understand. To invent something really, really special - you have to be prepared to fail. Mr. Adams wasn't afraid of that. And hence we have the Heelys we know and love today. Its a kind of courage that few people have.

Hats off the Roger Adams!!

And without that courage to pursue excellence, you end up with half-assed wannabe products like "superollers".

This is proof that it was tried by Heelys and rejected as an inferior concept:

Now, the story has another little twist. You see, the Heelys patent is for a process - not just a "product". The Heelys patent gives them exclusive right to develop products that let the rider transition between walking and skating. That's why you don't see any other product have this claim. They all have to stop and do somthing before you can skate. Otherwise they would violate the patent. This is little known. And that's why there will never be a product as good as Heelys.

Finally, I have it on good authority that the wheel is going to be re-invented. This time, it will be able to withstand the rull rigors of the massive Gs when riding ramps and landing hard on the wheels. See? RA never stops.

Stay loyal. Good things are yet to come!
MDHZ

[Wed 7:53] Slicer: *looks at Merlyn's finger frenzy score*
[Wed 7:53] Slicer: *face screws up in a combination of amazement and a sort of horror*

[Fri 12:06] IVI4V3R1CK: hey Merlyn, if you don't mind me asking, whys your name yellow?
[Fri 12:07] merlyn_DHC: Because I'm Chinese
[Fri 12:08] merlyn_DHC: (isn't that obvious) ?
[Fri 12:08] IVI4V3R1CK: o.o... thats kinda wrong
[Fri 12:08] merlyn_DHC: HAHAHA

David: Hey RU there ?
H33LYcRaZeD: yeah
David: How things ?
H33LYcRaZeD: thongs arte good

Big Mac: to go to camp quality to give lessons and give away hoes
merlyn_DHC
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:13 pm  Reply with quote
Team Heelys - Northeast

Fishertech wrote:
... If i ever showed up at my skate park wearing these "Togo" toys, I would be pounded into a bloody pulp by the other skaters. ...

LOL that was priceless.

[Wed 7:53] Slicer: *face screws up in a combination of amazement and a sort of horror*

[Fri 12:06] IVI4V3R1CK: hey Merlyn, if you don't mind me asking, whys your name yellow?

Slicer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:54 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

merlyn_DHC wrote:
So for all you Mack lovers, you can blame us. After giving it a fair shake, we just didn't feel that it was the right direction for Heelys. And I'm glad the people at corporate agreed.

I imagine the sales figures also had a big hand in that. I can't imagine many people actually chose a style like that over something more stealthy and streamlined.

Grindplates too... damn. Now I want a pair just to see how weird they really are. Very Happy

If HSI never makes them again, that actually makes the Mack a collector's item, depending on how rare it really is. "The Heelys That Weren't!"

Quote:
I took it out of the box and stared at it.

Laughing FrankenHeelys... IT IS ABOMINATION BURN IT WITH FIRE Laughing

Quote:
Sadly, I had to go back to the man and beg him never .. ever .. to produce these.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Every genius has horrible ideas every so often.

Quote:
The Heelys patent gives them exclusive right to develop products that let the rider transition between walking and skating. That's why you don't see any other product have this claim.

Products sold in the United States and countries that respect US patent law, anyway. Confused

Quote:
Finally, I have it on good authority that the wheel is going to be re-invented. This time, it will be able to withstand the rull rigors of the massive Gs when riding ramps and landing hard on the wheels.

New type of urethane, I take it? I can't see them re-using what they had in the BD's after the friction complaints. Or are they going to give everyone your custom extra-hard wheels and just put Reflex shocks on everything? Very Happy

jcardin is gay!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

Because I can skate all over my neighborhood in them: on the sidewalk, the street..it dosen't matter. I would not get near as much use out of Heelys...

Also, they are REAL skates, which is why you can do more with them. Also, they are safer: I have only fell like once in the past year I have used them and that is like every week...and that was because some skate boarder had a broken board just laying there at the skate park and I was skating backwards and didn't see it.

If in a race to any destination in which one must skate, I could beat any Heelys claid Heeler.

etc. etc. yadda yadda
seth1230
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:54 pm  Reply with quote
Heelys Encyclopedia

why do you keep trying to insist YOUR ON A HEELYS FORUM get it across your head your clearly outnumbered.

H4L&&&&BiGMaC BE MAH BFFLEZ
Slicer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:16 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

Jcardin, this is you.

This is me.

Shall we play?

Quote:
Because I can skate all over my neighborhood in them: on the sidewalk, the street..it dosen't matter.

Done that and done that. But you can't skate at the grocery store, the mall, the department store, the skate park (without getting laughed at), the school gym on election day (Yes, I have heeled in a school gym, and I'm 25 years old! That whole 'voting' business, you understand.), the post office, exercise breaks at work, the movie theater where it isn't carpeted... you get the hint.

Quote:
I have only fell like once in the past year I have used them and that is like every week...

That's because you can't do jack for tricks, maybe? I mean if all I did was flatland stuff at low speeds, I wouldn't worry about falling, either.

Quote:
If in a race to any destination in which one must skate, I could beat any Heelys claid Heeler.

You cannot be serious. Tell me you're some sort of troll, some HSI employee in disguise who gets his kicks and maybe some cash by watching the locals pick you apart. The only conceivable way you could win on those things is if you defined "skating" as "falling out of an airplane" and you jumped out first. (Eh. I'll let you have that victory. By the way, you forgot your backpack...)

I can all-out sprint on my toes and jump to heels. How can you match that on those bulky things? The size defeats you. And what's your bearings, hmm? Your wheel hardness? Your friction? Didn't you read Merlyn's post at all? Not only is it harder to run on those things but you'll slow down faster.

So it'll end up going something like this:

Me: SPRINTSPRINT rolllll... *long time* "Hmm, I'm slowly getting slower." SPRINTSPRINT rolll...

You: *awkward attempts to run* "Dammit I'm slowing down too quick and what's he doing that far ahead?!" RUNRUN TRIP THUMP

seth1230
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:10 pm  Reply with quote
Heelys Encyclopedia

Slicer wrote:
Jcardin, this is you.

This is me.

Shall we play?

Quote:
Because I can skate all over my neighborhood in them: on the sidewalk, the street..it dosen't matter.

Done that and done that. But you can't skate at the grocery store, the mall, the department store, the skate park (without getting laughed at), the school gym on election day (Yes, I have heeled in a school gym, and I'm 25 years old! That whole 'voting' business, you understand.), the post office, exercise breaks at work, the movie theater where it isn't carpeted... you get the hint.

Quote:
I have only fell like once in the past year I have used them and that is like every week...

That's because you can't do jack for tricks, maybe? I mean if all I did was flatland stuff at low speeds, I wouldn't worry about falling, either.

Quote:

You cannot be serious. Tell me you're some sort of troll, some HSI employee in disguise who gets his kicks and maybe some cash by watching the locals pick you apart. The only conceivable way you could win on those things is if you defined "skating" as "falling out of an airplane" and you jumped out first. (Eh. I'll let you have that victory. By the way, you forgot your backpack...)

I can all-out sprint on my toes and jump to heels. How can you match that on those bulky things? The size defeats you. And what's your bearings, hmm? Your wheel hardness? Your friction? Didn't you read Merlyn's post at all? Not only is it harder to run on those things but you'll slow down faster.

So it'll end up going something like this:

Me: SPRINTSPRINT rolllll... *long time* "Hmm, I'm slowly getting slower." SPRINTSPRINT rolll...

You: *awkward attempts to run* "Dammit I'm slowing down too quick and what's he doing that far ahead?!" RUNRUN TRIP THUMP

LMFAO nice i think you have gotten the point across the best on this thread with this one post.

H4L&&&&BiGMaC BE MAH BFFLEZ
merlyn_DHC
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:20 pm  Reply with quote
Team Heelys - Northeast

Slice, man, you're friggin hilarious!!

Remember, in an "all out race", the only fair way you can start is to have one Heeler, and the other dude start in their natural stance. When the race begins, the Heeler will be off and rolling. The other dude would have to first strap on his honking super-rollers or whatever.

Dude, the image of this is killing me dead. I can just imagine. Ready-Set .. Go!! And the guy just madly trys to strap on his frankenwheels.

And this would be so true, because we walk around with our wheels in all the time. You'd never walk around with these weights strapped to your feet.

I mean .. come on .. any reasonable person can see that. cjardin's just sellin' stuff. Can't come down too hard on him though .. everyone's gotta work. Probably got kids to feed or somethin'.

MDHZ

PS - I don't think any of these have grindplates - there's just no room for it.

Inuyasha_HeelyGirl11
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:31 pm  Reply with quote

This,my friends,are what we call a "Heely Hater"... JUMP EM!! LOL!!!