Heelychat Forum Index
<  Picture & Video  ~  Spitfire 99D Skateboard Wheel Conversion
AOD
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:35 pm  Reply with quote

Ahoy mates, I made these a couple days ago and thought I'd share. They're Spitfire Lockins 99D turned down to 41mm to fit in my wearers. Spacers had to be fabricated to accommodate 688 microbearings along with a 4 mm offset on the interior side to center the wheel. Overall they're a joy to ride and extremely forgiving when freestyling, s-turning and pumping. I wouldn't recommend them for cruising , you can feel every micron of sand and pebbles are even more of an assassin.

The next step will be machining a "V" groove in the center of the wheel to allow debris to pass through. I have a set of megavert wheels that seem to have accomplished the same task by placing two smaller wheels side by side, but it would be nice to have this feature on a standard wheel size.

Last edited by AOD on Sun May 17, 2020 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

.......||------w |
.......||.........||
...................O
AOD
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:55 pm  Reply with quote

Here's the update on the spitfire wheels. I did quite a bit of testing over the past two days with both versions and was very happy with the results of the grooved wheels. The grove drastically helped reduce debris getting caught in the wheel well and maintained an equal amount of traction. Will update on the wear characteristics.

Also noted I changed the bearings out for Bones ceramics, they're extremely smooth but have comparable resistence to 688 microbearings.... and cost 120$ more Shocked

.......||------w |
.......||.........||
...................O