Heelychat Forum Index
<  General  ~  The Nano
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.heelys.com/SitePages/MoreInfoNano.aspx

So what do you reckon to it? I've always thought it would be good to have a more stable platform to allow bigger air... but I was thinking 2 mega's in the shoe... which would be difficult. Heelys has gone and put them on an "adapter" for want of a better word. Looking forward to seeing what they retail for.

Most of the tricks are similar to standard heeling, but it does make some "new" tricks possible... like a Toe Manual (although Seth's Toeys might have been able to do these Very Happy )

Nano Tricks

Admittedly it will make some tricks easier... like what they call the "Footy" . . . since it now gives you two well-spaced mega's to balance on... Granted most of us can already footy on one wheel... but I'm thinking this might be a useful training tool for kids who can't do a true "one wheel" original style footy yet? Help them get used to footying on the Nano first then move onto what it calls "Heel manual" until eventually they can manage a true standard manual just with Heelys (no board).

Then again on what they call a "Heel manual" they suggest putting the toe of the rear foot on the back of the board... which would mean you couldn't use it as a counterweight to help balance like you usually would. Unusual. I bet that's because the back wheel on the Nano is quite far back - so you might need an extra shove to help get the front up?

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"
Slicer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:39 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

Ouch... ouch. I wouldn't use this. It's like having an inline on one foot and a Heely on the other. Incredibly uneven. No tnanks.

seth1230
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:07 am  Reply with quote
Heelys Encyclopedia

@Merrie, it provides a good workout and a new challenge, don't knock it till you try it.

@Slic... Nvm, not even bothering.

H4L&&&&BiGMaC BE MAH BFFLEZ
ConnorHeelz
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:46 am  Reply with quote
Heelys Brand Rep

yeah, although i must say it does look incredibly inconvenient... (at least compared to regular heelys)i would really be into trying a pair of these out.

i mean, to me they seem cool, fun, but a little bulky.

but i have no say yet Smile

2-2-07/Razzles)(4-13-07/Evolutions)(10-9-07/Clutches)
PEAR MEMBER: Pickle, Emily, Arly, Rawn-Tawn. REPRESENT!
i gots me .43723e=mc238034 ghetto points
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:16 am  Reply with quote

Absolutely. I wasn't meaning to be critical if that's how my first post came across... just being objective. Smile

Looks like it's got its pro's and cons. I'm all for giving it a try Smile

A few vids starting to appear with them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K128gSSxJyw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrwyAb9ubSs

Some familiar faces on the scene and some new ones. Smile

seth1230
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:55 pm  Reply with quote
Heelys Encyclopedia

I was about to go ahead and say those aren't new faces that the tapp brothers were like the last newest members for Team SW and that they were in my video from texas.... Until i realized i never made the video from texas...

maaaahh badd..

Yeah, they're really bulky and the opposite from teh conveniency of heelys but they're fun for coasting and longer distance travel. I had almost gotten grinding on a prototype so i'd imagine these are better.

H4L&&&&BiGMaC BE MAH BFFLEZ
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:37 am  Reply with quote

Aye, bulkier than heelys but less bulky than a skateboard, or even Inlines... with some of the advantages like longer balance area etc. It's exactly what I was trying to accomplish with this idea that never got off the ground (no pun intended) Smile

But I didn't have the equipment to manufacture something that uses that kinda "widely separated two-wheelbay with grindplate between" layout... glad HSL does. Smile

The longer balance area on the Nano should allow extra force to be put down when pumping for vert... so heelers can get more air almost like inliners do, which would allow even greater vert tricks for those who have the nerve and skill. Smile

The Nano definitely has some promise. Smile

subversed
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:59 am  Reply with quote

i really thought, just by looks, that this would be the most absurd thing i'd ever seen.

however i have to notice something- there's a hang off of the back of the heel that these guys are resting their "Free" foot's toes on. basically, i do the same thing in my heelies- (on long hills at least) i put my better/more stable foot forward and apply pressure on my heel with the foot i use in the back. it's a lot more stable and uses a lot less leg muscles for me- i was under the impression that this is how most people heel in general when i first started but i was pretty wrong about that.

subversed
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:48 am  Reply with quote

i posted this in two places, but it fits in both topics so bleh.

the nano has introduced something- a concept i'm very interested in. using the heel bracket as a mount rather than just a slot for a wheel- imagine a bracket that would slot in (and maybe strap over the toe area) that would basically turn heelys into portable inlines? it's possible and they'd actually be stable if another (smaller) bracket was added to the toe.

picture this.

aggressive skaters have used a wheel combination of Normal-Roce-Roce-Normal wheels for a long time if they planned on grinding, why not on our heels?

the recess of the toe-socket would only have to be about a cm in, which could be accomplished without hurting the comfort factor of most heelys shoes. it also would not have to be a complete heel bracket- it could be a small horizontal snap-in, about 2 inches in length to straighten the chassis piece and keep it from veering or wobbling.

MSpaint FTW

took about ~9000 hours.

note: the horizontal bracket would extend beyond the width of the chassis-nano. the final product would resemble

other topic i posted it into :

http://www.heelychat.com/viewtopic.php?p=33363#33363

wondercheese
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:21 pm  Reply with quote

hmmm I kinda want to try the nano now! It looks like it could be more effective for transport around campus than my heelys alone are.

Thu 21:53] wondercheese: we weren't trying to cause damage, and we DID pay for the broken lotion!
im goin outside
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:12 pm  Reply with quote

no. i dont need to try it before i knock it! Evil or Very Mad
it looks absolutly ridiculous! nice try but it just looks stupid.
wiz
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:09 pm  Reply with quote
Wiz-Meister

i'll try it before i buy it. If i don't like it, i still won't hate on it though. At least they're trying something new.
wiz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:28 pm  Reply with quote
Wiz-Meister

The Nano. It's out on the heelys store now. It's facebook official
wondercheese
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:23 pm  Reply with quote

I want to try it too. I dont' have the $$ to spare right now! But it looks like it might be efficient transport around campus. I can use the skate rink to learn to use it, but only if I get one before they put ice down... or more likely, next summer!

wondercheese

Thu 21:53] wondercheese: we weren't trying to cause damage, and we DID pay for the broken lotion!
Bekah
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:14 pm  Reply with quote

I would like to try it as well. It looks like fun. It looks like it would be a lot easier to maintain a fast speed. The Nano is $79.95 at Zappos (free shipping). I hope the price will come down some. Smile