Heelychat Forum Index
<  Off-Topic  ~  We finally gave up....
DeezUU
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

With the total absence of Heelys in the area, the non-existence of any sort of corporate care, and the bleak future for anything 'cool' coming out... we decided to go in a different direction. Lo's birthday is Thursday (10) so we got him some Riedell quads. He's been wanting some for a while and it looks like it's gonna be his new thing. He finally learned to grind and he got pretty smooth on his Pro's, but he just wasn't having fun doing it by himself. (dads don't count he says! Lol) We'll probably keep him lined up with some 'just in case', but it looks like he's more stoked about going to the rink and laying down some speed laps than he is about heeling.

AgeMeansNothing
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:38 pm  Reply with quote

I hear you on that, Deez. I love my Suede Dogs, but they're just too uncomfortable. I want some more Rumbles, or even some new boot style, but nada in my size.
My boys have Torches that fit, but they rarely wear them any more. Maybe if we go shopping they'll put them on, but they're not asking to go to skate parks any more, that's for sure.
If we had just one heeler that could really represent in this area, someone that could teach the new heelers some cool moves, someone that could zip the lips of all the hater-skaters at the parks... we'd be back in like Flynn. I don't see that happening. The one man that was really making a name for Heeling in the states decided to abandon us. Who picked up the torch, eh?
Anyway... don't be a stranger, Deez. Heeling will never truly die as long as we keep on rolling!

Hoping everyone stays happy, healthy, and heeling!
My Heelys: Escape #9110, Rumble #7317, Torch #9116, Suede Dogs #7501
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
DeezUU
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

We've spent a couple o' nights at the rink now... Logan is happy as anything. Me and the wife are shopping for some skates this weekend. (wife is even looking into joining a derby team and has already picked out a name >> Double Dee Zaster !! Lol) We've been having a blast and it's nice to be part of a sport that isn't dead in the water and springing leaks. I will say, though... we did wear our heelys to the rink and were greated with a stern "NO HEELYS ALLOWED ON THE RINK" warning.

Evan still wants nothing to do with anything involving wheels on his feet. We're still working on him.

Slicer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:55 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

No Heelys allowed in a roller skating rink? That's just pure asshole, there...

Merrie_England
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:51 am  Reply with quote

Slicer wrote:
No Heelys allowed in a roller skating rink? That's just pure asshole, there...

Agreed.

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"
AgeMeansNothing
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

The roller rink in my town is the same way. The owner will let kids heel around in the EXTREMELY CRAMPED but tiled food eating area, but they aren't allowed on the rink because in his words "kids on heelys have to run to get started" or some such nonsense. I was like WTF? But I wasn't there to make an enemy. His logic is non-existent. Apparently it's better to allow people rolling around on anything in a cramped seating area full of hot and cold foods, but perish the thought of someone with less wheels go out on a wide open roller rink. Crazy.

Hoping everyone stays happy, healthy, and heeling!
My Heelys: Escape #9110, Rumble #7317, Torch #9116, Suede Dogs #7501
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
wondercheese
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:01 pm  Reply with quote

I've been to one rink that allowed them on the floor, but only at the end of the open (or when open skate wasn't very busy) so there is less chance of a collision. they do require that you have new (or at least never used outside) wheels though. The other rink we use won't even allow them outside the building (I got yelled at and told not to come back.)

Thu 21:53] wondercheese: we weren't trying to cause damage, and we DID pay for the broken lotion!
merlyn_DHC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:03 pm  Reply with quote
Team Heelys - Northeast

I'm actually not surprised ..

#1 we can stop on a dime - people on skates can't.
#2 - the people at corp never reached out to people at um .. skateparks .. rinks .. local parks .. and communicated with them / cross-promoted / developed responsible heeling etiquette .. etc. You'll see a TON of videos on how Heelys is safe. But you'll see ZERO data on good heeling practice.

Short sightedness and lack of vision is what's killing Heelys. I made my visit to Heelys corp in Q4 of 2008, saw what they had for leadership, and promptly quit.

If they want to save Heelys .. they need a lot of new thinking, new good thinking.

Last edited by merlyn_DHC on Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

[Wed 7:53] Slicer: *looks at Merlyn's finger frenzy score*
[Wed 7:53] Slicer: *face screws up in a combination of amazement and a sort of horror*

[Fri 12:06] IVI4V3R1CK: hey Merlyn, if you don't mind me asking, whys your name yellow?
[Fri 12:07] merlyn_DHC: Because I'm Chinese
[Fri 12:08] merlyn_DHC: (isn't that obvious) ?
[Fri 12:08] IVI4V3R1CK: o.o... thats kinda wrong
[Fri 12:08] merlyn_DHC: HAHAHA

David: Hey RU there ?
H33LYcRaZeD: yeah
David: How things ?
H33LYcRaZeD: thongs arte good

Big Mac: to go to camp quality to give lessons and give away hoes
wondercheese
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:23 pm  Reply with quote

It actually didn't bother me that much that they weren't allowed at the rink. Mostly because the other skaters were moving faster than I could heel, and the stopping distance thing! Besides, we went there to use skates. My friend does roller derby and wanted to teach me some derby moves. Can't really do that if I insist on wearing my heelys! It would have been fun to have a nice smooth surface to practice with my heelys though...

Thu 21:53] wondercheese: we weren't trying to cause damage, and we DID pay for the broken lotion!
merlyn_DHC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:41 pm  Reply with quote
Team Heelys - Northeast

Yeah .. I was at a rink .. and they didn't know I had Heelys on .. they finally found out and was like .. "yeah .. just keep going". They still don't allow kids to do it though.

Same thing with a bunch of skate parks. Building proficiency helps a lot. Without it, it can be plain dangerous. Its understandable that parks and rinks want to protects its own. Totally get that.

[Wed 7:53] Slicer: *face screws up in a combination of amazement and a sort of horror*

[Fri 12:06] IVI4V3R1CK: hey Merlyn, if you don't mind me asking, whys your name yellow?

DeezUU
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:08 am  Reply with quote

To my understanding, it has to do with a majority of heelys being used outside. Our local rink (and the next one 10 mins away) both have newly refinished floors. If you aren't a member there, they check your wheels if you bring your own skates (just a quick glance) to look for pebbles and debris. They allow absolutely NO shoes on the rink so I'm sure it has to do more with scratching the floors than it does anything else. If they catch you rolling to the rink entrance in your skates, you cannot enter.

Goin again thursday for family night. Free all-u-can-eat pizza and 4hours of rolling for 6 bucks. Hoping mine and the wife's skate show up before then!

DeezUU
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:18 am  Reply with quote

Oh yeah... we were also in Dick's last weekend and they had EVERY BIT of their Heelys labeled equipment on clearance for almost free prices. Helmets for $10, pads for $7/set, free wheel bags,stix,whatever if you bought something, and a few pair of Fats shoes for $15. We picked up a set of knee pads just for the helluvit and the clerk said they were wiping out the entire stock and will no longer be carrying the Heelys brand. (BTW... we went to 2 Dicks and it was the same at both). You already can't buy them at our Journeys, Finish Line, any other shoe or dept store, none of the surf shops that used to carry them, ANYWHERE. You no longer see them anywhere on anyone like at the theme parks and malls. The brand is disappearing from America. Their FB page has a ton of european fans, posts in broken english, and videos from overseas. Looks like the company has picked it's direction and that direction is to abandon its roots.

merlyn_DHC
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:21 am  Reply with quote
Team Heelys - Northeast

Cudda told you that 16 months ago .. oh wait .. I did. Still kinda gets my goat.

DeezUU
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

We've been having a blast. No pics/vids or anything of the fun (they kinda frown on bringing cameras on the rink cause you could drop it) but I did take a pic of the new kicks. They're all Riedell, Lo's are the ones w/ white stripes/laces (Volts), mine have the rasta Zoom wheels (Carreras), and the wife has purple Claws wheels/laces (Carreras). Startin to get crossovers back and Lo is already rollin 180s to some pretty nice (albeit still slow) backwards skating. There are a TON of jam skaters and shufflers at our local rink that are already trying to show Lo the ropes.

wiz
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:05 pm  Reply with quote
Wiz-Meister

Well, although u can't buy heelys at stores, it looks like their selling them from the heelys website soon!

http://www.heelys.com/sitepages/shopOpening.aspx