Heelychat Forum Index
<  General  ~  Wheel Sizes?
paddyxz
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

(i know there is probably a topic on this already but i am new to the forum, and can't find it from my feeble searches so...)

I keep seeing all these wheel sizes/names flying(mega/fats/etc) around and i was wondering if someone could clear it up for me.

I no its a very noobie question...but well i am a noob and would appreciate this answered. I had a look on heelys website and their chart just confused me further...so help?

Thanks,
Patrick
Slicer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:17 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

Somebody had to ask it sooner or later.

Okay. Here's ALL the wheels that exist:

Originals: These are no longer produced. If you find a pair of these it's an antique. They're not as wide as Fats; Heelys stopped making these for a reason.

Fats: One of the two current standards in Heelys wheels. Fats are the general, dependable wheel used by the majority of Heelers. Some are made for 688 Micro bearings and some are made for the (easier to find) 608 standard skateboard bearing.

Two wheels (2x2): One wheel in front of the other. Halfway between shoes and rollerblades. Intended for beginners, it's easier to stay up, but harder to put your toe down. From everything I hear, this makes the act of Heeling harder and maneuvering a chore. Avoid.

Mega: The current standard for serious Heelers. Larger and more stable than Fats, the only problem being the occasional air bubble which will grow and eventually destroy the wheel. (This takes a while. It's the wear and tear between the inner and outer urethane.) All Mega-sized wheels are fitted for 608 skateboard bearings. The Mega wheel that comes with the Ninja Glow has a bit of green glow itself, but isn't otherwise different.

Mack: The one single real Heelys style with the wheels on the outside of the shoe. They're the court jester of Heelys. Wider for balance, but harder to use and conspicuous as hell.

Big Deuce: A special wheel that came with the Evolution, with two distinct rolling surfaces with a large groove in the middle (which pebbles, etc were supposed to pass through). The one problem was the low Rockwell hardness; it was simply too soft. Also, it breaks by the two sides separating from one another. Fits Mega wheel wells.

Rumbles: Come with the hard-to-find-now Heelys Rumble. Fewer air bubbles. These wheels are grooved and generally superior to the average Mega, making them in demand. Fits Mega wheel wells.

Megawatts: Come with the Heelys Megawatt, a shoe designed to showcase the lighting effect. Although there have an ugly failure rate of defects, the light effect is unique and head-turning (if heads aren't already turning when you wear Heelys). Fits Mega wheel wells.

Megaverts: Megaverts are specially constructed high-hardness Mega-sized wheels for use in skateparks (vert). No inner/outer core here. If you manage to get a hold of these, congratulations- you're among the elite.

Free-Spins: Like a cross between Big Deuce and Megaverts, only with each side being able to spin independently. They take 688 Micro bearings. If you have a pair of THESE babies, welcome to the Illuminati.

paddyxz
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:50 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, now it makes sense!
ill study this list, memories it and pretend i know what im talking about

But seriously thanks
seth1230
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:45 am  Reply with quote
Heelys Encyclopedia

Those are the wheel types. Now each type comes in 3 different sizes.

Small which are usually sz 12c-6

Medium which are 7-8

Large which are 9-12

These aren't true for all the wheels which is where the chart on the website comes in.

H4L&&&&BiGMaC BE MAH BFFLEZ
Steinbockhase
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

Glad to have found this forum. Finally some good answers to the wheel issues.
Currently Heelys are commonly available with either FATS or MEGA wheels.
Other than size, bearings or wear and tear; I wonder if there is a difference in functionality between the two.
For example: maintenance, maneuverability (turns), axle durability (jumps), gap space between shoe sole and ground, running smoothness, etc.
Would be nice to learn some more pros and cons between the two from an experienced heeler.
Thanks in advance.
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:09 am  Reply with quote

Mega's give more ground clearance so you're maybe less likely to catch your foot when you don't mean to but that means it's more like walking in high heels, which some people find tougher.

As for axle toughness - only person I know who said he often strips the thread of coin axle's is maverick... if you're not a particularly heavy or aggressive heeler it shouldn't be a problem, but depends on your skating style: i.e., do you place your feet smoothly, or stamp them down etc. I check my axle tightness regularly and install the wheels in the direction HSL advise so in theory they're less lilely to unscrew themselves and I've not had a problem, but then that could just be because I'm quite a light skater and can do pretty noiseless transitions from manual (one foot off the ground) to normal two-footed heeling etc.

Serious heelers prefer either the higher abec rated heelys bearings or swapping them out for aftermarket 608s in the the wheels that take these.

As to pro's and cons between fats and mega's it's often a matter of personal choice it seems: some people prefer fats for flatland and some prefer mega's, but everyone agrees the extra clearance on mega's is best for vert (ramps and halfpipes etc).

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"
majorhealey
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

Would it be possible to install Fats in a shoe that takes Megas, or are the axles different lengths?
Slicer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:59 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

The axles are different lengths, by a lot.

Large Fats and small Megas are roughly the same size, though.

Merrie_England
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:02 pm  Reply with quote

majorhealey wrote:
Would it be possible to install Fats in a shoe that takes Megas, or are the axles different lengths?
if you put the fats on a mega axle, and add some M8 (8mm inner diameter) washers from the hardware store to pad out the spare axle-length... yes... although I'm not sure why you'd want to... you'd always be catching the break since the axle position in a mega is farther forward than in the equivalent sized FATs model (to accomodate the bigger wheel).

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"