Slicer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:13 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZYS0Tn5Hfo

Warning: Very long, very grindy vid.

Last edited by Slicer on Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Merrie_England
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:49 am  Reply with quote

There's so few vids on youtube of the actual practising that some people get the impression the Heelys tricks are easy and you can just do them, so respect for showing how it does in fact take time and hard work.

Man, can't wait till the weather improves round here. That day looks almost tropical for anywhere near ND? Smile

Are they the kind of gloves often used at the gym for gripping weight bars? Or maybe cycle gloves? I use some similar ones when I don't want to slide on the Salomons.

But is that vert on concrete with no knee/elbow pads? . . .

Hardcore. Very Happy

And no helmet? Ok that's just crazy - although like me you do have a lot of padding in the way of hair. Very Happy

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"
Slicer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:46 am  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

*deletes and replaces vid, this time with no 20-second dead zone and music*

I *am* wearing a helmet on that spine. I was actually considering not wearing it until "Hey Slice, STEEP HALFPIPES HERE, YOU'RE TRYING A SPINE, EASY TO POP YOUR HEAD LIKE A GRAPE" sense kicked in.

Those are cycle gloves. Well-padded, stops the palm injuries I usually get from reflexively sticking out my hands.

The standard skatepark I go to? I don't bother with anything else. I know, bad example, etc. Frankly, most of the stuff I usually do isn't much of a risk. Neutral I haven't landed on ANYTHING other than my butt and hands in a year or two.

Considering the two most serious injuries I can think of are Coop and Mav with severely broken ankles, is there any good padding out there that can protect against THAT and not hinder your skating?

RougeSkater
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

Wow! All this stuff looked really easy ,but I'm guessing its not.
wiz
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:31 pm  Reply with quote
Wiz-Meister

trust me it's deffinatly not.
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:44 am  Reply with quote

Slicer wrote:
I *am* wearing a helmet on that spine. I was actually considering not wearing it until "Hey Slice, STEEP HALFPIPES HERE, YOU'RE TRYING A SPINE, EASY TO POP YOUR HEAD LIKE A GRAPE" sense kicked in.
Haha, good job. And yeah, the riskiest thing I find with spines is being careful of your balance if stepping onto the grindplate. I notice you took good care to step mostly on the toe-piece. Smile

Slicer wrote:
Considering the two most serious injuries I can think of are Coop and Mav with severely broken ankles, is there any good padding out there that can protect against THAT and not hinder your skating?
No, sadly it seems there is nothing that can be worn to do that. I've come close to doing what Mav did once when learning a footy, luckily I caught myself just before all my weight fell onto the twisted ankle which had gone underneath me, which would surely have been nasty. I think all we can do is practise carefully and keep all joints flexible and all muscle groups strong to help support the bones etc.

My worst other injury is still my back, which is keeping me from progressing much at the mo. I don't seem to have lost the abillity to do any of the tricks I'd already learned, like say footy-weaving or whatever, but I haven't been able to put in the time to learn any new ones sadly.

Again there isn't much that can protect the back in the sense of the way I fell, although maybe a motorcycle back protector would help, but again they seem to severely limit movement of the torso, which is a real pain.

Good to see you're still going strong tho slice. Smile

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"
merlyn_DHC
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:19 pm  Reply with quote
Team Heelys - Northeast

The HANDS DOWN phattest backside I've ever seen was in a SOAP video .. .. may have been a Kawi Slide .. but it was very very cool.

I noticed the sword sound in the music. Schwing!

[Wed 7:53] Slicer: *looks at Merlyn's finger frenzy score*
[Wed 7:53] Slicer: *face screws up in a combination of amazement and a sort of horror*

[Fri 12:06] IVI4V3R1CK: hey Merlyn, if you don't mind me asking, whys your name yellow?
[Fri 12:07] merlyn_DHC: Because I'm Chinese
[Fri 12:08] merlyn_DHC: (isn't that obvious) ?
[Fri 12:08] IVI4V3R1CK: o.o... thats kinda wrong
[Fri 12:08] merlyn_DHC: HAHAHA

David: Hey RU there ?
H33LYcRaZeD: yeah
David: How things ?
H33LYcRaZeD: thongs arte good

Big Mac: to go to camp quality to give lessons and give away hoes
subversed
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:48 pm  Reply with quote

Slicer wrote:

epic bump but knowledge bomb. hope it helps

there was a brand out there called Lazy Legs that produced a strap designed to go under the boot and around the ankle of inline skates. this is a pair of gloves by the same manufacturer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250666176358&ih=015&category=36317&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

basically, they tightened the ankle so it was less possible to bend it. a very good accessory but very very hard to find- however, something similar would be easy to reproduce.