Heelychat Forum Index
<  Off-Topic  ~  So I may be Done Skating...
IVI4V3R1CK
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:11 am  Reply with quote

No, it's not a joke, though I wish it was. Yesterday I was skating at a local park, just getting some practice in, and I fell. Remember when I fell the last time like 18 months ago? Well it was the same. Except this time I have some broken bones...

So I fell at about 7:30, in which I felt a bunch of things just "snap" in my ankle. I thought it was dislocated. Then it started to bruise really bad, and the swelling kept going up.

From this point we went to the E.R. which I signed in at around 8. I was placed in the WORSE wheelchair ever, which bounced around and had a bum wheel. They rolled me in because my foot was BLACK. When they looked at it, immediately I was given some type of Vicodin, minus the Tylenol content (at least thats what I thought he said). I was then moved and they took the X-Rays.

So first and foremost, I wanted to punch the bitch. There was NO reason why my foot had to be contorted the ways that she moved it. Back and forth, back and forth. And worse of all, I doubt she had any fucking clue what she was doing because the same X-Rays had to be retaken (and no, I didn't move, it was her douchebaggery).

So then they rolled me into this little room, but I got on a bed... which rolled... I then had my own T.V. which while Channel Surfing I found the Avatar on Nick. So I was watching that (it was the episode that the Earth King banned the Dia Lee from the Earth Kingdom for hiding the war) and then I had the doctor come in.

He looked at me and said that he had some good news, and some bad news. Looking at the X-Rays, he can see that I broke my Fibula (which is the non-supportive bone that connects in the ankle). He said that it was shattered and that I would have a 30% chance of going into surgery. He then introduced me to this RN and this guy who had to be the worlds largest Samoan.

So the nurse was measuring me up with the crutches, and the doc came back in, but this time he said he had worse news. He told me that from one angle of the X-Ray he couldn't see it, but on the other one he can clearly see my Tibia which was splintered up about 22cm....

Anyways, I am needing to make my next appointment, I'll give you an upate after that...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
IVI4V3R1CK
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

OK, so I am back from the Doctors... Where was I...

Oh yeah, so the Doctor said that not only did I fracture my fibula, but also my tibia. He stated that my odds of surgery just went up to about 90%. They sent me with some pain meds and then told me to call the Orthopedic people [today].

So that is where I just went, was the Orthopedic people. First off, they cut open my soft cast, poked at it for 3 minutes, then stated that I needed surgery. They are going to put a Stainless Steel plate on the outside of my right ankle and then a couple of screws to hold all the floating bones in place. He stated that would be the best way to go, however, they can put me into a full leg cast, position my leg the opposite of the break, and hope for the best as I hop around for 6 weeks. He stated that the cast would NOT be the way to go, just because of how unpredictable it was, and that if I did the cast my ankle would probably never be the same. He stated with the surgery though, I would be able to walk and skate within 3 weeks. However, I doubt I will continue.

So that whole ordeal cost me around $800 (remember, this is just so they could poke at my leg). The surgery is going to be roughly $10,000 and my insurance is giving me a hard time about actually paying for it... Even if they did, they would only cover a couple thousand or so. The funny thing is, after all this is said and done, my leg is costing me more then my car did.

So that is pretty much up to par with where I am at. I am going to be posting some pics of the injury, a nice comparison to my regular ankle and then the broken leg. It's pretty gnarly.

So kids, keep in mind... Heeling is fun, but like other sports, it can kill you in an instant. Just make sure that you are exercising all of your safety, but even then, don't rush anything guys.

One last note... I hate to be asking this, and it will probably be fruitless, but I am asking for any donations to help with the medical costs. Anything will help, and I will probably only be able to give my thanks if you do donate... but if you are interested, PM me and I can give you my PayPal... Thanks guys Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
IVI4V3R1CK
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:37 pm  Reply with quote

OK, so here are the pics from my leg... I have some more, but this will give you a rough estimate of what happened... I still don't have the X-Rays though, when I get them I'll scan them and load them

wiz
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:37 pm  Reply with quote
Wiz-Meister

what were u doing when this happened?
IVI4V3R1CK
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

Vert... I went down, and I tipped backwards, thus landing on my foot...

When I started, I knew I was going to have issues with the wheels because the bearings were a little rusted, but they were still spinning good. Then the halfpipe isn't the best material to actually skate on, but I guess it wasn't meant for me to actually skate that day... or ever lol...

AgeMeansNothing
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:29 pm  Reply with quote

Boy that looks familiar. Many said I would have been better to have a break rather than a severe sprain. It STILL hurts in the mornings and after a lot of use over a year later. You're younger than me, but not a kid any more.
I'm sure you'll be able to skate again if you want to, but maybe you'll stick with the easy stuff like me. Wink
It really sucks that your insurance isn't helping out much with the surgery. Hopefully something changes and they kick in more than you expect. :\

Hoping everyone stays happy, healthy, and heeling!
My Heelys: Escape #9110, Rumble #7317, Torch #9116, Suede Dogs #7501
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Slicer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:40 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

And this is why we need single-payer health care (or a strong public option which will become single payer very quickly).

Go nuclear on that insurance company. Find out your state's insurance commissioner and refer to him repeatedly. Use the words "my lawyer" more than once. They aren't going to pay unless and until you wrap your damn hands around their throats. Silly Mav, you thought you were actually insured-insured instead of just pretend-insured!

Get. The. Damn. Surgery. At any cost. And make sure you get a good surgeon. If you don't have the $ and you can't wring it out of the motherfuckers who pretend to insure you, I will fucking pitch in to pay for it.

im goin outside
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:43 am  Reply with quote

I didnt see any mention on the 7 or 8 grand to take it all out. Thats another hospital visit with all the benifits that come with it, costs, recovery time, 2 or 3 check up visits afterwards. Or did they say it was going to be left in forever?
wondercheese
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:15 pm  Reply with quote

Depending on the injury, they usually leave them in. The bone will grow over the plates/screw and make them nearly impossible to get out in most cases. My guess is since Mav has shattered bones, the metal will be permanent. If they have to use hardware on a simple break, they will remove it later because the bone doesn't grow over it.

Mav, that totally sucks, I'd be willing to toss in a few bucks to get you back on your feet. I don't have much, but everything help right?
IVI4V3R1CK
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

im goin outside wrote:
I didnt see any mention on the 7 or 8 grand to take it all out.

Because I was trying to forget... lol

I haven't gotten any definitive answers from anybody except for how much money they want (of course). I've been on the phones all days with different doctors and surgeons and insurance people and lawyers... My advice is if you're gonna break something, do it while your parents are still responsible for you... That way they have to worry lol, jk

But I am applying for this state aide thing which sounds pretty cool, and because of how little I make, the lady said I may qualify for the "almost free" section, meaning that the Hospitals will most likely have to pay me for a change... But then I talked to another lady who stated that with the CICP, I would have to pay a certain percentage on top of my own co-pay, or something of the sort... Then I had some other guy tell me that I could split with CICP and Medicaid and get the costs down, and another guy say no. So I realized that not only am I trying my best to get shit done as soon as possible while being high on pain meds, but I am talking to people who have either no fucking clue what they are doing, or they don't give a shit about me and don't want to listen...

But, a little off topic, I do want to give everyone a life lesson since most of you are kids who still live with Mom and Dad... From this whole experience, I have learned that if you do the right thing, and you try to plan ahead, you will get screwed... and hard... without KY... Get this; I know these two people named Tom and Jamie (I could be masking their names to hide their identity, or maybe I don't give a shit). They are in their late 20's and have a 2 year old son named Jason. Now, Tom doesn't work. He is a felon and uses that excuse as why no one will hire him. Jamie doesn't work, because she doesn't trust Jason with Tom. So neither of them have worked for over 3 years, and yet they are not homeless. Want to know their secret? They abuse the government. Yup... Because Tom was laid off from his job, he is collecting unemployment. Once a week he places his application into some High Paying Job which of course will turn down the felon. But since he did his part, he still gets paid. Then they live in Income Based Apartments. That being said, though not in the best neighborhood, he only has to pay about 60 bucks a month for everything. Then, they decide to have a kid, which then the State provides all of the health care for the baby, on top of most of the food and diapers. They even paid for 90% OF THE BIRTH! And to top it all off, because of Jason, they get money incentives... I didn't go into details (because the whole mess pisses me off) but I know there is free child care and either a yearly or quarterly check they receive...

Now, me on the other hand... I have a semi-successful job (I make below average what normal Coloradans make, but with my girlfriend I can survive). I pay my taxes (which State charges way more then they should get, but hey, do I complain?), and I dump hundreds into the COLORADO ECONOMY (even though I love eBay, I am always driving around Colorado Springs for Star Wars toys, video games, and hell, I even bought a freakin car). I have (or as recently changed to "thought I had") insurance and I have always paid it on time. My credit is a 725 credit score and I am at a good median for my debt:income ratio (I make more then I spend). Hell, I even went out and got a better apartment, just so I could be a little farther away from it all (which means I need to get more gas which pumps money into the economy). But as you can see from above, I have been screwed, and unless I find out if I get approved for these programs (in which I won't know til AFTER the surgery; how ironic) I will have to be paying money out my ass (or accept the gracious offers given to me and work out payment plans with those third parties) until the next coming of Christ (which will be in about 2015).

So kids, the moral of the story? If you are poor, the world feels sorry for you. If you are rich, the world begs at your footsteps. Take advantage of your government. Get rich by selling Meth and Coke to your Tricks. Because if you get thrown in jail, you get 3 square meals and you can make a bunch of cool friends, and when you get out, the government will pay you to make babies and continue the flow of drugs... Cause remember, this is the land of Opportunity, the land of the Free!!! This is America... WHOOOOOOOOO

-and I slowly drift to a self induced coma... Thank God for Oxycodone and Tramadol-

HeelyLover22
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

Ouch. I was like, saying "ouch" while reading it. Omgoshh, I'd be like uber ticked.

I has 5,000 Ghetto Points *yessss*
Smile Very Happy
im goin outside
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

Lol. when you cant move and and have acces the best pain killers the medical field can offer what do you do???? RANT!!!! It just goes to show that when you thought you had everything right and enjoying life, one mistake can happen and a whole bunch of assholes who dont care what your going through will SCREW YOU OVER. And the sad part is, there are so many people just like Mav who are in the same boat. Hope everything works out the best way possible.
merlyn_DHC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:36 am  Reply with quote
Team Heelys - Northeast

Damn Mav!!

I don't even know where to begin. ..

First of all .. DAMN$%@#! about your foot/ankle/leg. I hope your recover is quick.

Second .. this is sooooooo much like exactly what Coop did. Broke his ankle going into the hp. And his story is so similar that its freaky. Even the pictures are giving me flashbacks.

Damn .. Damn .. and Damn. And I just finished watching your new vid too.

[Wed 7:53] Slicer: *looks at Merlyn's finger frenzy score*
[Wed 7:53] Slicer: *face screws up in a combination of amazement and a sort of horror*

[Fri 12:06] IVI4V3R1CK: hey Merlyn, if you don't mind me asking, whys your name yellow?
[Fri 12:07] merlyn_DHC: Because I'm Chinese
[Fri 12:08] merlyn_DHC: (isn't that obvious) ?
[Fri 12:08] IVI4V3R1CK: o.o... thats kinda wrong
[Fri 12:08] merlyn_DHC: HAHAHA

David: Hey RU there ?
H33LYcRaZeD: yeah
David: How things ?
H33LYcRaZeD: thongs arte good

Big Mac: to go to camp quality to give lessons and give away hoes
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:06 am  Reply with quote

Hey Mav, sorry to hear about your accident, and doubly sorry for my delay in responding. I know it's not much, but on the logic that every little helps, I sent a few bucks to your paypal (the aol email, hope that's right?).

I say this with no reservations or exceptions: you are THE nicest guy I know, so it's beyond my skill with words to describe how unfair this seems.

That said, I've always admired the way you live your life - we all have fears and trials, but yours have never stopped you from getting out there and living it, and that's why, even though this might be hard to imagine right now....

You will get through this.

And this is why, when you're old and gray and sitting in that rocking chair on the back porch... you'll have some killer stories to tell the little ones. Smile

Get well soon mate.

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"
IVI4V3R1CK
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:29 pm  Reply with quote

--Short Version--

OK, so, I have been gone for a little while, but I wanted to give you guys updates on what is going on now...

I opted for the Surgery for 2 reasons; High Success Rate and the Ability to Walk Sooner. I went in on the 20th (remember, I broke it on the 6th). They dropped the plate and screws in, and today I got the stitches removed (actually, stitch, just a long one) and they gave me the walking cast. I should be walking before Sept 8th (my next appointment).

--Long Version--

OK, this is the version for those with the attention span past a goldfish. When I left off, I was in the debate between the Surgery and the Cast (almost decided on the Surgery). It was still broken and my surgery was supposed to be on the 14th. Well, I went into the Pre-Op appointment and the swelling didn't go down, and they could not do the surgery. He said if he could, they would not be able to get the cut closed, and that would be no bueno.

So he would not sign for me to go back to work, so I missed from like the 14th to the 28th (completely screwed me money wise, but I'll manage after a long deal with the Devil and my soul). I had the Surgery on the 20th, in which that was an adventure for itself, which I will explain now:

11:30 - I made it to the Out-Patient Surgery Area
11:50 - I got my vitals taken and discoverred that I was 20 pounds fatter then I should be (I am comfortable around 170 lbs, and I pulled 191 lbs).
12:30 - I made it to the Pre-Op Room, which would also serve as my Recovery Room. The T.V. was broke, and the room was freezing. I then had to strip and dress myself in less clothes then Britney Spears at an Awards Show.
12:45 - They move me to the Pre-Op Staging Area. Why they couldn't leave me in the main room is beyond me. But this is where I got to meet my anesthesiologist, in which I will give you the play by play for that:

- He shook my hand, then lifted my skirt so the whole world could see my shrunken pride (remember, cold room).
- He then took a needle the size of a tennis racket (no joke) and began to give me a Local Block. The needle was attached to the same thing Frankenstein was attached to. This caused electricity to shock into my leg so they could find the nerve and put the Local in there. However, whenever they shocked me, my BROKEN LEG jumped. Of course, since there was NOTHING holding it, it was really my leg jumping, and my foot staying on the table. Probably the second weirdest feeling I've ever had, outside of my nipples when the rings are out
- Once the leg was numb, they checked for the Doctor (who was supposed to be there at 1300, but of course he wasn't... Why would the guy who I just paid thousands be there... Wait, he was stuck on the Back Nine, that's why)

13:15 - Doctor is finally in the building. However, he still needs to do some other things which were undisclosed to me. So they go to roll me into the O.R. to get me prepped for him

13:20 - Made it to the O.R. The 30+ people in there all looked friendly, but I couldn't see their faces, so I can't identify them if they fuck something up. They move me from the rolley table to the O.R. table which would have taken about 30 seconds on my own, but they felt obligated to help me which took up 3 minutes of my sleepy time.

13:45 - Doctor is scrubbed in, and is ready to go to town on my leg. The Surgeon's Helper straps me down in the following places:

- Wrists
- Elbows
- Shoulders
- Chest
- Waist
- Upper Legs
- Knees
- Lower Legs

They asked me how I felt so I answerred them as truthfull as I could; crucified. I did get a chance to ask the Doctor what he would knock me out with; diprivan (the Michael Jackson drug). They they put the mask on me, and I drifted to sleep freaking out that I would end up like the King of Pop

16:00 - I wake up with a Pregnant lady shoving graham crackers down my throat (not that extreme, but thats what I felt like... I guess I asked her when I was still half knocked out). She was nice, and I was finally able to eat (because I couldn't have anything after midnight)

16:30 - I finally get to go back into the recovery room. The local block they put in made my leg feel like they amputated it, which I was sure they did. I am blaming the diprivan because I don't get scared Razz. The nurse lady was AWESOME. She hooked me up with a messload of food that I will probably have to pay for later, but it was worth it. It was nice. She then gave me a bunch of perscription notes, notes on how to take care of my leg, and she said that if I see massive ammounts of blood to come to the E.R. Nice... Massive ammounts of blood... So anything more then a Pint and I should freak out? Oh, not to mention that the soft cast they put me in was thicker then the Berlin Wall, so I probably wouldn't feel the blood until I passed out

17:00 - I finally was released from the Hospital. Of course we hit every red light, pot hole, and speed bump in Colorado Springs, and the Local Block was wearing off. We go to Walgreens to fill up the following perscriptions:

- Oxycodone - 5/325MG
- Hydroxyzine Pamoate - 25MG

For those without any knowlegde of Pain Pills, I got Percocet (for pain) and the Hydroxyzine is an Antihistamine to help with sleep and nausea. So I took two of each (as perscribed) and then I passed out... 16 hours later I woke up in the most pain of my life.

When I did wake up, I guess my body was fighting off the metal in my leg because I had a massive fever of 102º F and I couldn't cool down. I kept tossing and turning and tossing and turning until finally I broke it a few hours later.

So then about a week went by, and I was able to return to work on Tuesday the 28th. I then went back to the Surgeon who OKed me to take the stitches out and gave me this really fancy walking cast. As of right now I can put little pressure on my leg, but nothing more then that.

As it stands now, I should be walking fully by September 8th, which is pretty exciting (way better then 6 months in a cast). Week by week I can increase the pressure on my leg until finally I can take the damn boot off.

So there you have it folks, my surgery ordeal. Right now I am at work, so I can't get you pictures, but I do have many of them from when my leg was uber bruised and swollen to Post-Op, and then I have my X-Rays which are being mailed to me (3 of my broken leg, one of the fixed leg in the soft cast). When I get them, I will be sure to post.

So thanks for all of the support from everyone, I appreciate everything. I have decided to keep Heeling, but nothing extreme. Just recreational stuff. I came to the point that I have reached my cap, so I couldn't have thought of a better way to finish off my AM career as a Heeler. I am now turning my head to Mountain Biking; something with less impact and more of a full body work out. But don't worry, I'll still be an active member.

Thanks again

- Pat