Heelychat Forum Index
<  General  ~  Which sport has fewer injuries?

Which sport has fewer injuries?
Skateboarding
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Heeling
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 11

Heelynut
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:13 pm  Reply with quote

For those who skateboard also...
For the same amount of time spent heelying or skateboarding...
Which sport has fewer injuries?
Also, post your worst injury for each sport.
Other comments also welcome.
Thanks,
HN
Oops...it should have been Heelying

Last edited by Heelynut on Tue May 12, 2009 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total

wondercheese
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:36 am  Reply with quote

Oops, I meant to choose Heeling for fewer injuries, this is why I shouldn't do stuff late at night....

Skateboard: Bruised knees, hips, elbows and lump on my head. (also put a dent in the drywall of my kitchen) Scraped my knees and hands.

Heelys: Bruised pride. Bruised hip. Repetitive stress pain in my right foot from keeping my toes up. (I crashed into the Recycle bins outside my bosses office trying to learn to 180)
im goin outside
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:56 pm  Reply with quote

Wow defanitly has to be skateboarding. The best thing about heelys, if you are about to fall put your foot down and your done. When things get bad you have the skateboard underneath you and that slides out like a rocket taking off.
seth1230
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:00 pm  Reply with quote
Heelys Encyclopedia

Guys, read the question. It says FEWER injuries. @ poster above, You say skateboarding but then go on to say how easy it is to stop on heelys.

@OP drop the y when you add -ing. I fixed it for you in the pool. Smile

I put heelys because so far ive only been skating (like doing tricks) for 3 months and i've hurt my wrist and ankles a plenty.

So yeah, i think heeling has fewer injuries.

H4L&&&&BiGMaC BE MAH BFFLEZ
Heelynut
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:13 am  Reply with quote

If you poll the wrong one, simply vote twice for the correct one.
This will cancel out the wrong vote.

im goin outside
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:24 pm  Reply with quote

whoops my bad, thanks for pointing that out seth.
IVI4V3R1CK
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

I can't answer the question 100% truthfully because I never skateboarded outside of an ollie. However, I did do inlining for quite some time prior to picking up Heelys, and I know that having something strapped to your feet can greatly effect the outcome on how you will break something. Also, I know from going to park to park I see skateboarders fail all the time (doesn't matter the experience, they all fall sometime or another). That is why I voted that Heeling has the fewer injuries.

On that note, my worse injuries actually branch from when I inlined. I possess several broken bones (my ribs still slide around when I contort too much) as well as dislocated both shoulders. I have some knee problems from landing weird. As for Heeling, I have ripped my knee cartlidge and sprained my ankle pretty bad. That was the only hospital required visit. However, I have a couple of gashes in my leg from sliding out and having the edge of the sheet metal dig into my leg. I have a nice scar on my back from urban street skating, I got caught on a rock going down hill... But that just lead to me sleeping on my stomach for a month... So nothing too major as of yet, but I suspect in the next year or two I'll be paralyzed

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
IBF
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

Definitely Heeling. I have countless knee problems from skateboarding. :v

[Fri 15:52] IBF: i had dream that i was with my parents at HCG and you were the only one there because everyone was coming and then i pointed you out to my parents and they thought you were a pedophile
[Fri 15:53] IBF: but then i was like "no thats slicer the beholder of ultimate banning power"
[Sat 17:18] Slicer: does IBF create awkward silences by his mere presence?
[Fri 21:55] Homicidal Potato: ahh the place to myself...wheres the lotion?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kain
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:09 am  Reply with quote

I have to say skateboarding, but that's only from experience. On a skateboard, I've fallen a lot more times in general, but only got a few shin hits and scrapes. Maybe I would have more if I spent more time with it, but idk. On heelys, I've gotten multiple gashes in my arms, knee wounds, and a couple broken ribs, even though I catch myself most of the time

"Passed away in silence
The flute from the realm unseen
Empties its heart
Making love to me
With its enchanting melody.
Light of Orion,
Shadow of Andromeda,
Call of the dancing Universe.
The labyrinth I must enter
Before thou can blame my soul
With an age of peace"

"Love me for who i am, love my soul...not the body it occupies, love my heart, not the desire it hides...and love me....for what i am..."

DeezUU
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

I can't truthfully vote as I don't heel anywhere near as hard as I sk8'd or BMX'd, but I can attest that I've been pretty fuxored doing other sports and feel that heeling has an easier 'bail' system (ala' putting your toe down). I've never broken any bones, but I've gashed many appendages open. I've still got crazy sick scars everywhere from my youth. Lets see....

once jumped a entrance into a video store (nice 4' hill into it) and broke the arm off some PowerSeries cranks (OMG!) and gashed my left leg wide open on the remaining broken crank shaft. (still visible)

was throwing down some railslides on plastic stacked parking curbs that were slightly damp (and really fast), fell backwards, grabbed handicapped parking sign and sliced all 4 fingers on my left hand to the bone. went to the local Grandy's, grabbed some papertowels into my fist, kept skatin.

was attempting a death-truck once and hadn't quite learned to fall from vertical on my bike and lost balance > fell forward > and went dome first to the concrete. It looked like I had a head growing out of my head and I blacked out for about 3 mins (per my fella riders).

also ate teh poops once doing an elbow glide (going into another trick >> combo points, yo!!) and went down knuckles first into the pavement. still have bum knucks from that one.

watched a good friend of mine hit our local dirt halfpipe once trying to air over a tree about 6' over the lip.... he made it over but snapped the headtube on the landing and went nutz first to the toptube. we had to carry him to the local emergency room (which was only about 1/3rd of a block away >> very handy location!) and he had ruptured a ball. dude was on crutches for about 6 weeks cause he couldn't put pressure on his groin muscles. Yeah... you read that right >> he POPPED A NUT!!! (not sure exactly what it did medically, but that's still what we all believe Lol). we still call him 1ball Paul.

I've also got a scar on my chin (under my soulpatch) from a bare bar-end going into my grill from a failed Miami Hopper (embarresing since it was an ubereasy old-school trick). I don't even know how it happened but I remember slipping and falling forward then blood. in fact... that was one of my 1st BMX injuries.

and those are just off the top of my head. it usually wasn't a good day unless I walked into the house with blood in my shins and at least 1 part of my body slightly immobilized. Lol.

im goin outside
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:16 pm  Reply with quote

wow deezuu i didnt know you were such a badass. thoes are some amazing falls! I have had plenty of spills on my dirtbike.
Like trying to tackle the ground with my shoulder going 30 mph. Ya the bike slid out from under me when i hit a turn and i went sideways driving all my momentum on to my right shoulder. I didnt break anything but i couldnt lift anything over 1.5 pounds for 2 weeks. I was doing a nasty hillclimb and i gave it too much gas halfway up the hill and the bike shot forward and flipped and crashed while i did backwards summersaults down the hill. For some reason i was on a trail as wide as my tire...

__ <------------
/ \
/ \
/ \
__________/ \_________

and i didnt fall hank god because the cliff was 75 yards of steepness but it was scary going over this narrow thing. The last one i can think of is when my friend tried a backflip and made it half way when he slammed his face on the handlebars Smile not much fun, but all he lost was his 2 front teeth.

And thats all i have to say.
DeezUU
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:56 pm  Reply with quote

Haha... badass not, just a tad too underskilled to pull off the tricks I was trying.

But since you're bringing moto-sports into this.....

broke my nose once (technically not a bone) when I was jumping the rim of a dry lakebed on my 4wheeler. I was freakin UP there (about 15' up) and landed superhard blowing out 1 front shock/spring and breaking the mount off the other and I bottomed out the front end sending my face directly into the bars. what are the chances of my face hitting the bars between the mouthguard and my goggles and getting me square in the nose!! Lol. that was a bloody day for sure and I was picking bloodboogers out of my nose for about a week. good times.

Aceb6
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

Skateboarding- almost broke my tailbone

Heeling- Busted mah knee open and skid 10 feet across the pavement

TEAM SCU
TEAM SCU

O o \
/Ż/__________________________/
BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHH!
\_\ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ\
/
DeezUU
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

Haha... doods > I just remembered a funny one after talking with my friend. We made an "invisible halfpipe" once by tying an old bike tire onto a rope and suspending it from a large treebranch with some slack. You'de put the tire under your pits, get some speed, and let the tree swing lift you as you'de do lame fake tricks (it was summer >>> we were bored!!). So I was haulin nuts but the tire slid down a bit (I used to weigh about 75lbs) and when the slack got tight... it slid up, tore my shirt, and cut a gash into each of my sides. I had bloody armpits for something so stupid. hurt like a mother, too!! that was the end of the invisible halfpipe and we invested in some plywood to build the real thing. ended up with a 30' wide monstrosity in his back yard so it was all good. Cool