Heelychat Forum Index
<  Off-Topic  ~  I Love Technology
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:04 pm  Reply with quote

Courtesy of the UK's newest 50 meg home internet connection, I just filled the 1 TB hard drive in my new rig in 8 months. . . so I just purchased a second one terrabyte SATA, and it only cost the equivalent of $87.61 USD delivered - that's less than 10 cents a Gigabyte. Surprised

Is it just me, or have we never had it so good? Very Happy It seems PC prices are always coming down insanely fast. I remember when it was like $400 for a crappy little 1 gig drive LOL - so a gig has got nearly 40 times cheaper in just about a dozen years - can't wait to see what the next 10 years brings. Very Happy

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"
DeezUU
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

Pretty good price for 50mb transfer.

I install FiOS (verizon FTTP : fiber to the prem service) now. Our 20up/5down service is around $60(US)/month and our symmetrical 50mb service (50up/50down) is about $300/month but damn is that isht fast!! Thing that blows me away is that the service is capable of 32gig per pipe (over a 32 way fiber splitter = 1gig potential per household) but they limit to lower standards due to fed regs and the uselessness of anything over 50mb (you'de be hard pressed to find a connection that would match you). But holy poops > ever since I've been installing it, I've seen some really crazy setups. Quite a few liquid cooled builds and one guy was building (wasn't complete) an oil filled comuter in a plexi tank. That was nutz. Also seen some nice monitor setups. Hooked up a guy with 9 screens. It was bad-ass. I took a cell pic, but I can't upload it cause it's a work phone.

Merrie_England
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:51 pm  Reply with quote

DeezUU wrote:
since I've been installing it, I've seen some really crazy setups. Quite a few liquid cooled builds and one guy was building (wasn't complete) an oil filled comuter in a plexi tank. That was nutz. Also seen some nice monitor setups. Hooked up a guy with 9 screens. It was bad-ass. I took a cell pic, but I can't upload it cause it's a work phone.
Sweet - yeah I used to be into that scene back in about 2001 before it became mainstream. We used to have to make most of our own parts, like fan bus controllers, or use plumbing kit to make the watercooling loops... nowadays it's all done for ya, which saves a lot of time I guess Very Happy

Non-conductive oil cooling is brilliant - I've always been a fan of phase-change coolers (same tech as fridges and AC) but they don't seem to make them for the home user any more - there used to be a couple that would chill your chip down to like -40c so you could buy a $40 CPU and overclock like 100% until it blows away a $1000 CPU - but that was back in the day, nowadays chips are made so close to the limit that there isn't as much room for the home user to tweak it. Sad

But yeah, we have some wicked cheap technology now. Smile

DeezUU
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:51 am  Reply with quote

I'd say 90% of the people I do data only installs for get FiOS specifically for gaming and they do a lot of this stuff for looks. The guy with the oil comp was using all old oc equipment and was doing it just cause it looked cool (I think). But holy hell... that 9 monitor setup was completely bawls!! Reminded me of the movie Grandma's Boy. The guy had a motorized swiveling reclining seat with a swing out keyboard table and all the wires were neatly loomed inside the stand built for the monitors that also mounted the seat and CPUs. (It looked like 1 very well put together machine and had a very unified look to it).

Merrie_England
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah I remember similar chair/pc setups with stuff like trackballs built into the arms etc LOL. Right now my chair is a totally standard office job, but the positioning and general room layout is nice: My chair has a fridge full of beer on the left, a freezer full of ice cream and other summer treats on the right, and a dozen optics for whatever mixer I want within arms reach above LOL: the ultimate lazy man's chair - which is why if it wasn't for heeling I'd imagine I could easily be double my current weight right now LOL Very Happy

Slicer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:53 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

I almost argued with this post, seeing as how I just had my graphics card's GPU die a horrible death and finding something equivalent for cheap was a sick joke. (I'm not interested in keeping up, anymore. I'm just not.)

Then I found this thread on Overclockers.

IVI4V3R1CK
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

Not only in the computer world though do we have it so good.

My Home Theater was going to die (I built it from scratch around 2007) so I decided I would be in the market for a new system. Back then I spent nearly $1,000 in the speakers and the receiver.

I just went to Best Buy and I picked up a Blu-Ray Disc HTiB by Samsung for $499.99. I have the 61" Samsung DLP (which I bought off the show room floor for $1,800 in 2006). Coupled with an HDMI Cable ($20) my movie watching has NEVER been so good.

Now I was selling consumer electronics when Blu-Ray and HDDVD were just released. Hell, I was selling them when HDMI first hit the market. Let me tell you the going rates for when they were first released:

HDMI, 2m Cable, Cheap Brand = $100+ (almost $150 for the 1m Monster)
Blu-Ray = $499 (just the player)
61" DLP, 1080p Ready = $3,600
Home Theater in a Box, 1,000 watts = $499

Now, lets add it all up:

100 + 500 + 3600 + 500 = $4,700

Over the span of 3 years (from the 1st cosumer appropriate Giga Watt HTiB by JVC to the addition of Blu-Ray) we are looking at a HUGE Price. Now, I have the same setup (Gigawatt HTiB) for the following prices:

61" Samsung DLP, 1080p Ready = $1,800
Blu-Ray HTiB, 1,000 watts = $499
HDMI Cable = $20

$2,320... That is HALF of what it was, just a matter of years ago.

Now who wants to guess the going rate of a 64MB SD card 4 years ago? Then compare it to a 16GB SD card today.

I love technology and everything it has to offer. Granted, I work on computers for a living, so I am more into the TV/DVD/Console Gaming then actually investing hundreds into a PC, but even then, the parts to make a PC a beast is a mere fraction of what it was years ago.

I am really excited to be born in this time line; the turn of technology. Yeah, it might get better over time, they may find something new, but when it comes to HD, it is pretty much reached its cap for a while. They may make a new technology, but 1080p will stay around forever, and to be honest, I cannot imagine how it can be any clearer....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:46 am  Reply with quote

@Mav: 61" Surprised OMG nice Screen LOL Very Happy I spend a lot of my free time watching vids on my PC and I'd love a screen that big. Very Happy Then again I only recently bought the 22in Widescreen PC Monitor (runs 1680x1050 res with top contrast ratio and 2ms refresh) so I can't justify the expense of another screen so soon. Smile But yeah, I would love a HUGE screen. I probably wouldn't be able to get it all in my field of vision but still. Smile Scrap that, I don't think I could even fit it in my house - too many Heelys. Very Happy

Slicer wrote:
I'm not interested in keeping up, anymore. I'm just not.
I know what you mean - it's never economical to buy top of the line, that was why I bought a 1TB drive for under $90 instead of a 2TB for like 4 times that.... I just like to "get the most bang for my buck." Smile

IVI4V3R1CK wrote:
I am really excited to be born in this time line; the turn of technology.
Absolutely, I think sooner or later they'll teach it in school history lessons as the time of the "Digital Revolution." - Already town centre shops are closing because of the internet shopping, which granted means less jobs in city centres, but also more jobs in Warehouses, and therefore probably a little less congestion in the already busy centres - the internet could truly decentralise humanity and make us able to live more evenly spread. Assuming we don't destroy ourselves first. Very Happy

I think the old Chinese curse is coming true: we are living in very interesting times. Very Happy

DeezUU
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:56 am  Reply with quote

I recently replaced my old projector for a BenQ HD unit and I nixed the 110" glass beaded screen in favor of a 80" Vutec silverstar screen (110 inches was a tad too big for my den) and DAMN tv watchin is nice now!! Still can't get FiOS at my crib yet, but witching blu's is freakin toight (like a toiger). I'm still workin on the wife to get theater seating in my den, but we have some pretty comfy lounge chairs that move easy enough. I also still need to ceiling mount my projector and rerun the HDMI into the wall. One thing that really sucked was paying $130 for a 25' HDMI cable (you can't skimp when you're running long cable runs) but it'll be mashed potatoes and gravy when I get it all properly set-up.

IVI4V3R1CK
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:02 pm  Reply with quote

Fast Internet, True Home Theater, Love for getting screwed remodeling cars... Damn Deez, got a spare room to rent lol

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

IVI4V3R1CK wrote:
Fast Internet, True Home Theater, Love for getting screwed remodeling cars... Damn Deez, got a spare room to rent lol
Ditto lol - form an orderly queue*. Very Happy (brit spelling)

DeezUU
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

Lol... well, I love the toys but I STILL haven't gotten around to building the in-garage half pipe. We started and layed out a frame and got it sized but we all lost interest when the weather turned sour. I've since pulled all that apart to make room for the Jeep when it's in topless mode.

BUT

I've left enough room to do 2 large quarters in the garage (Jeep in the middle) and I've wired the garage for vid on the old projector and the 110" screen (did that this morning). We're moving the non-surround stereo outside (and 2 KLH 15" full rangers) as well as all the RockBand gear and the usual attire (fog machine, black lights, strobes, posters, etc...) so it's gonna be on like donkeykong in a few days. I'll try to take pix. Gotta get workin on the quarters before the heat goes nutz. I've also gotta get on redoing the AC in the garage. The list seems endless so hopefully I don't die soon. (I am pretty old afterall!! Lol)