Heelychat Forum Index
<  Picture & Video  ~  Heelys and Shotguns
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:34 am  Reply with quote

I may be a kid at heart, but Heelys aren't the only "big boys toys" I've been playing with lately. Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhElI57juMk

Note: 12 gauge shotguns should not be used without proper instruction and supervision, and within the laws of your country. Very Happy

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"
Slicer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:47 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

I wonder if they sell off ball bearings that don't meet quality assurance as shot.

Speaking of weapons, the large problem while aiming and running at the same time is that your own motion interferes with your aim. If, for some reason, you were moving just as fast but without the whole up-and-down aspect...

Merrie_England
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:38 pm  Reply with quote

Slicer wrote:
I wonder if they sell off ball bearings that don't meet quality assurance as shot.
I guess it's quite possible. Very Happy I know many factories sell their waste to other industries, wherever they can get the most money for it, and perfectly round shot should fly ok with a reasonable choke. Smile Of course shot doesn't need to be as perfectly round as a Heelys ball bearing (I've seen shot where the balls are missing a half, or even stuck together, like conjoined twins) and steel shot is often used in place of lead for various reasons, such as environmental concerns. Would be interesting to get the kit to make a load of old used-up HSL ball-bearings into a cartridge and see how it flies at the range LOL.

Here's a closer pic of some shot which shows how they're not usually perfect in roundness:

The balls from HSL 608 bearings are 3.9mm which is about the same as size 2 birdshot - so you'd need the balls from about about 17 old bearings to fill a 28g cartridge LOL. I tend to be quite a light skater so it might take me some time to amass this many used bearings, sounds like a job for Maverick. Very Happy

Slicer wrote:
Speaking of weapons, the large problem while aiming and running at the same time is that your own motion interferes with your aim. If, for some reason, you were moving just as fast but without the whole up-and-down aspect...
LOL, true, but most places where it's safe to shoot shotguns (like the ranges, or private land) sadly don't usually have smooth ground here in the UK. Also, you'd have to be damned good at heeling backwards - the kick from a 12 gauge would send you flying LOL. Probably not too wise. Very Happy

I have noticed many transferable skills between heeling and firing high powered guns tho: the stance you use, leaning forward into it, to compensate for the kick, is very similar to the stance used to compensate for heeling backwards on rough ground when you expect to hit a stone. Smile

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"