Heelychat Forum Index
<  General  ~  Best reactions to Heelys
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

The last couple of days I've had a lot of interesting reactions from people who've seen me heeling. Now and again you get the odd: "how does he do that?" but yesterday I went to the new multiscreen cinema at the end of a huge mall, so there were some massive distances to traverse on smooth floors, and I heard a lot of really amazed comments: it's great because a lot of people in the UK seem to seriously have never seen Heelys before LOL - god knows where they've been living this past half dozen years. Very Happy

Anyway, the funniest reaction I've ever had was tonight: was just doing my shopping, and a bunch of youngish kids (think they were about 10) noticed and said "WOW! A professional!" Very nice of them to think so but of course I know I'm hardly a "pro" yet LOL. I wasn't trying to show off, so all they could have seen would be switching, cornering, maybe a little 180 and a slow backwards as I scanned an aisle for the right product etc. . . but every time they saw me they kept cheering and shouting "Go professional!" LOL. Hehe, funny as hell, and kinda sweet. Made my day anyway - was chuckling to myself all the way home. Very Happy

What's the best reactions you've had to Heeling?

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"
Aceb6
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:51 am  Reply with quote

kinda reminds me of the game "you know your a heeler when"

the one where it says toy can convince old people you are floating lol

TEAM SCU
TEAM SCU

O o \
/Ż/__________________________/
BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHH!
\_\ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ\
/
seth1230
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:33 pm  Reply with quote
Heelys Encyclopedia

merrie...are you sure they werent sying it with a sarcastic tone? cause i've gotten "woah a pro" a few times but it was far from a compliment.

anyways here in the states its not a big deal anymore but here in miami tourist central, usa (i ahte the mall on saturdays because of that now since cruise ships decide dolphin mall is amazing and should be put as a stop with the cruise) tehres always new people from other countries but on sunday i was there and a little cuban kid (cubans are known for yealling when they speak and changing spanish grammer round here) says "OYE MAMI MIRA HA ESO ZAPATO YO QUIERO HACI!" which translated in the same grammar he used is "HEY MOMMY LOOK AT THOSE SHOE, I WANT LIKE THAT!" ive also gotten a few hispanic mothers saying shouldnt be using those around here and then the occasional swedish or weird language speaking tourist with a hoard of kids asking me where to buy them which has been good because journeyz finally started stocking up again.

H4L&&&&BiGMaC BE MAH BFFLEZ
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:13 am  Reply with quote

Hehe, fortunately not. Smile I know how you mean, but these kids were really impressed, I could tell by their faces and tone: they kept following me round and egging me on to do tricks, but I know if I show off I'll probably try to do something too hard and fall and look like a pratt, so I didn't try, I just kept doing my shopping. Smile

Come to think of it, apart from once being questioned by a security guy in a store, and once being honked at by an angry bus driver for overtaking him, I've never had any bad reactions to heelys. Very Happy

One lad about 18 was "scared" by me heeling once. . . I was zipping down an aisle and I gave him plenty of room as I passed but he must not have heard me coming because when I shot past he about jumped out of his skin and said "F'in' ell!" about had a heart attack, poor guy. Smile

I call that the "ghost" effect: when you are startled because you suddenly realise someones near you when you had no idea they were there before: people are often scared by it even when it's a family member or someone they know is no harm. Smile

And the same night those kids were encouraging me to do tricks, a woman stopped me as I was about to roll by, but I think she was german, because she said something in very heavily accented English like: "Wow, dat good! You go fast, Ja!" Smile I just smiled and nodded and said, "Yeah, but you have to watch out on the corners!" and she laughed so I think she understood Very Happy

IVI4V3R1CK
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

I get the same thing being called a pro negatively and postively. Probably the best one was when I was in a larger mall (Colorado Mills in Denver) and I was skating around and some jack ass said something sarcastic. I over heard him so I decided that I would have a little fun in which I did a couple of frontsides off a park bench gaurd rail in succession. I just kept on skating and then "found" something interesting in which I then looked out of the corner of my eye and his mouth was dropped.

So in my opinion, being speechless was the greatest comment I've ever had Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Slicer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:12 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

Buying my new monitor at Staples:

*Guy STARES at me, just plain STARES*

I shrug. "What?"

"For a minute there, it looked like you were floating."

*rolling by* "I have no idea what you're talking about. Nope, no idea. None at all."

"Oh, you've got those trick shoes with the rollers..."

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Merrie_England
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:08 am  Reply with quote

LOL, nice ones Mav and Slice. Now that's what I'm talking about. I may just be a crazy fanatic, but it seems to me that Heelys used properly are a truly revolutionary thing: Like the next step up from walking in the evolutionary chain. Smile

But of course GETTING people to the level of skill required to use them properly and realise all these benefits is difficult when some people tend to give up after the first fall - but hopefully if I teach more people what I've learned so far and keep lending out my spare pairs of GOOD heelys (like ones without teeny tiny wheels that bigger people can use on actual streets) it will get better for all of us:

more heelers = more money for hsl = more styles for us etc. Smile

wondercheese
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:04 pm  Reply with quote

One of the faculty in my dept caught me heeling back from the pop machine. He had never seen heelys and he thought that the floor was wet and I had slipped and then slid to the door without falling! He laughed when I showed him my wheels. Hopefully he gets his kids each a pair!

Thu 21:53] wondercheese: we weren't trying to cause damage, and we DID pay for the broken lotion!
Slicer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:27 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

Oh.. oh man.

So two teabaggers were out in front of the local federal building/post office. I laugh at them from my bike (they didn't see me) and keep going.

The next day, I see one of them outside (not teabagging) when I'm getting coffee. And this time he sees me, and I'm, of course, on Heelys.

He STARES.

I mean eyes bulging all the way out, COMPLETELY unable to understand what I am doing, STARES.

I almost laughed at him AGAIN but just kept going... Very Happy

im goin outside
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

LOL, did u bust out a few spins then go backwards to make their minds bubble a bit more?
Slicer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:16 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

Nah, too many cracks around for that.

Merrie_England
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

Slicer wrote:
So two teabaggers were out in front of the local federal building/post office
Glad you clarified the US meaning with a link LOL. In the rest of the world that story would seem even funnier, for reasons I will not go into LOL.

Slicer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:28 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

Oh, the US meaning is the same as the international one.

Not to derail the thread, but the Republicans are going to have a long, hard time getting their jerk slime out. Public teabagging is just one of the symptoms.

wondercheese
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:37 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, I laughed HARD when I heard what that name was now associated with, because I can just some old republican douchehole telling everyone he was going teabagging and getting a horrified "what!?" LOL Kinda like the time one of my professors misused the phrase 'shot my wad' in class ::shudders with horror at memory::

wondercheese

Thu 21:53] wondercheese: we weren't trying to cause damage, and we DID pay for the broken lotion!
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:53 am  Reply with quote

Yeah LOL - I guess we better be careful not to go any further into this particular discussion - It could get obscene real fast Laughing. I admit I'm partly responsible for pointing it out, but like Maude Flanders from The Simpsons always says

"Somebody PLEASE think of the children!" Laughing

Maybe if I ever do post something that might be a little "too" educational like that, I should make sure it's in one of my huge long posts, in hopes that the younger members wouldn't have the patience to read it Laughing