Heelychat Forum Index
<  Tips Tricks & Techniques  ~  hi im new
nightfang
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

hi im new and need some pointer on just basic rolling when i roll i alwase try to walk any tips:Heelys:

seth1230
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:30 pm  Reply with quote
Heelys Encyclopedia

wear gear or if you can build up your mental cofidence without it just go for it, the biggest mistake is to go at it without confidence and dont be scared to fall, how else will you learn what not to do?

H4L&&&&BiGMaC BE MAH BFFLEZ
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:16 am  Reply with quote

Top tips:

[short version]

1) keep your back foot's toe pointed at the heel of the front foot. If you don't, it can roll forward to end up beside the other foot and then you're likely to land on your ass.

2) Whilst standing still on your wheels with a rail or counter-top to hold on to, practise keeping your legs locked in the "A" shape needed, using your muscles so that neither leg can slip apart or closer together. I would say imagine your like a tripod, but only with two legs not three. Smile Stand with one leg behind the other, and the weight of your body in between the two legs (not too far forwards or too far back). Once you can balance in this shape, the next step (rolling) will be easier.

3) When you feel yourself slipping, the natural instinct is usually to do something like pinwheel your arms, which might help normally but on wheels this can make it worse. You need to develop a NEW instinctive reaction for whenever you feel like you're falling: the instinct to simply stamp your toes down quick. If you're going along slowly on your heelys and feel like your legs are about to come out from under you STAMP your toes down quick for instant grip. Once you can do that by instinct without thinking, you should fall a lot less often, by catching yourself BEFORE you've fallen too far.

4) feel free to use any of the above, or none of it: essentially, it can all be done by just "feeling" it for yourself. Smile

[Merrie's essay/life-story version]

When I first started to heel, I remember looking at the kid in the book that came with the shoes: gliding along seemingly effortlessly with his arms out like a tightrope walker. I remember thinking "I'll never be able to do that" LOL. Now just 6 months or so later, a straightforward glide is effortless: even MORE effortless than walking, and I realise that you only need your arms out like that when you're just starting to learn and find the balance difficult: nowadays my arms are usually relaxed (or holding a heavy shopping basket). If I'm ever walking anywhere and I've forgotten my wheels I find it so annoying that I can't roll. It's like being missing some vital part that I've taken for granted like an arm or a leg. There's nothing like being in a huge supermarket and knowing you need something at the other end of the aisle, and knowing that simply walking there would take an age, but with a quick hop and a jump you can throw yourself into an effortless glide that will get you there in seconds on a lot less energy. It really is a whole new way of moving, once you get good at it.

BUT to get good does take practise. You simply have to put the hours in. But that isn't hard, because you can wear heelys anywhere once you no longer need the pads, and just practise the rolling whenever you feel like it. I know a few people I've introduced to heeling who still look at some of the simple tricks I do with envy, and yet I'm sure it's not because of any merit of mine: they could be just as good if they simply practised a lot.

So, look at those vids on youtube of the brilliant heelers like Merlyn or Seth or hidude or any of the other good heelers, and know you too could do the sort of things they do, as long as you stick at it and don't give up. Yes, you will fall from time to time at first, but when you're wearing pads a fall is no problem. And eventually, you'll hardly ever need the pads, unless you're taking it extreme on the half-pipe.

Good luck, and here's hoping you find out how much fun heeling can be. Smile

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"
IVI4V3R1CK
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

ME hit it on the nose... There's no one way anyone can teach you how to heel, you just got to get a good feeling.

When I teach people though, I usually instruct them like this:

1. Step with your left foot
2. Step with your right foot, but plant it with the wheel
3. Shove with your left foot and quickly snap onto the wheel

Even if you go 3 inches one time and then 6 inches the next, you're still moving forward... Backwards is a different story Razz

But either way, have fun with it. Challenge yourself like Seth stated. Who knows, you may figure out a way that works for you that no one else has ever thought of (because trust me, there is more then 1 way to skin a cat)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
quigonjynn1410
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:39 am  Reply with quote

hey chris its colton just wanted to tell you that keep your confidince level higher than you can imagine because without confidince you cant accomplish anything and remeber to keep your knees bent and stay low to the ground andrew is good so listen to him.

Psalms 23:4
Even though I walk through the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me, your rod and your staff they comfort me.
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:59 am  Reply with quote

quigonjynn1410 wrote:
remeber to keep your knees bent and stay low to the ground
I wouldn't bend the back knee too much tho for normal heeling, or it might be hard to keep the back toe up? Smile

Personally I generally heel with straight legs for straighforward rolling. . . and only use the bent knees as shock absorbers for when doing tricks/vert, but each to their own Smile

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"