Heelychat Forum Index
<  Picture & Video  ~  Merrie's first Combo
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:21 am  Reply with quote

OK, Slice posted asking for more vids, and on youtube AMN asked me to make more vids showing how I was progressing. So this is for you guys Smile

I haven't had much time to do anything fancy but work ended early today so I made a vid of my current favourite combo, which I call "The Merrie Englishman" because where you have to put your weight (centre of gravity) changes back and forth several times during the maneuver, so it feels a little like being drunk (first leaning one way, then the other). Laughing

Well, what else would you expect for a combo I named after myself? Very Happy

In short, it's a Footy into a 270 powerslide on the opposite side. In full, the way to do "The Merrie Englishman" is as follows:

1) Start by doing doing a manual/footy on the leg you usually have at the back.

2) Gently plant the other wheel behind so you're heeling in the opposite stance to what you usually would

3) quickly switch legs so you're back in your usual heeling stance.

4) immediately bring that front leg back again by turning and 360ing to that side, but half way through the spin keep your toes brushing the ground as you would when doing a powerslide.

5) continue the powerslide as far round as you can (usually about 270 degrees since it's tough to powerslide forwards), so that at the end of the move your feet have done almost 270 and are sliding almost sideways and your chest has done 360 and is facing forwards again ready to walk or heel away normally in the same direction.

My camera is a crappy old phone cam, so turn the volume up nice and loud if you want to hear the slide.

The Merrie Englishman (vid one, followed by a standard footy or two).

This is one of my favourite tricks at the minute because it's a more stylish way to end a manual/footy than just falling or planting out of it.

The 270 powerslide at the end of the combo can be better seen at the very end of this vid where I'm mostly just practising standard footys. It's the last time I come back towards the camera at 0:21.

I do it quite slow in these vids, partly because my practise area is a little short, and also so that you can see the separate parts of the move, but it looks best if done fast and smooth, because doing it faster gives you a longer slide at the end. Smile If you have a really smooth mall and sort of lift your wheels slightly (putting all your weight on your toes) you can almost "grind" sideways on the floor without the need for a rail, but it's tricky not to fall since there's no rail to "guide" the grind.

Anyways, it would be cool if a better heeler could learn this combo and find a bigger smooth place where they could get a run up and make a video response showing it done real fast, for a longer smooth slide at the end. Smile

I may have invented this combo but I'm sure it's possible to make the final slide go sideways a lot more and last a lot longer than I can manage. I think with more practise/skill, the spinning "270 powerslide" at the end could really be something special and probably a new trick in and of itself.

If anyone could lift their wheels and just slide sideways on their toes on a smooth floor, to extend the final slide even further, or perhaps actually continue the powerslide forwards Surprised through a whole 360, by sliding the toes across the floor with just the right amount of pressure to keep going forwards whilst braking, I'd bet someone like Mike Buffo could? Smile

I mean I know from my own trials in malls with REALLY smooth marble-like floors that it's just about possible to very gently brake with the forefoot without actually stopping (to almost "powerslide forwards" as it were) so since it's already well known that it's possible to powerslide backwards, maybe one day an almost full 360 powerslide might be possible with enough skill/control?

Last edited by Merrie_England on Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"
merlyn_DHC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:56 am  Reply with quote
Team Heelys - Northeast

Is it just me? Or is ME getting a lot better??

[Wed 7:53] Slicer: *looks at Merlyn's finger frenzy score*
[Wed 7:53] Slicer: *face screws up in a combination of amazement and a sort of horror*

[Fri 12:06] IVI4V3R1CK: hey Merlyn, if you don't mind me asking, whys your name yellow?
[Fri 12:07] merlyn_DHC: Because I'm Chinese
[Fri 12:08] merlyn_DHC: (isn't that obvious) ?
[Fri 12:08] IVI4V3R1CK: o.o... thats kinda wrong
[Fri 12:08] merlyn_DHC: HAHAHA

David: Hey RU there ?
H33LYcRaZeD: yeah
David: How things ?
H33LYcRaZeD: thongs arte good

Big Mac: to go to camp quality to give lessons and give away hoes
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:51 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Smile

I'm having to take it easy at the minute until the stress fractures in my leg bones heal but I usually try to practise for an hour at least 3 times a week. I think that's all I do that makes me improve: just keep putting in the practise time and using careful, mindful concentration to figure out what I'm doing wrong, and what works, until I get it. Smile

I think it's a benefit having that quiet place shown in my vids where I can practise undisturbed: i find it hard to concentrate on stuff at the mall because I'm always worried about other people getting in the way, or security guards kicking me out or whatever, although the practise area isn't perfect: the floors kinda bumpy for tiles. . . it's an old corridor that's hardly been used for anything but storage since the 1960s. Would be nice to have access to a suitable half-pipe tho: that way I know I could really practise vert. Smile

Some weeks I get a big high from suddenly being able to do something I've been trying for months, but then sometimes it feels like VERY slow going. Some weeks I can tell I'm doing worse than last week, so on these occasions I sometimes call it quits, because I don't want to practise doing moves wrong in case my muscle memory learns the wrong way etc.

But yep, I'll keep trying. Smile
Thanks for the kind words Smile

sara48
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:55 am  Reply with quote

wow ME you are getting alot better!! congrats Very Happy

as for the powerslide spinny things, I've done them before, the backwards ones anyway, I like doing them best out of 180s but I did one from standing in this vid at 1:27 - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BbJI7LRpROk&feature=channel_page

A forwards powerslide spin sounds intresting, I might try it later today Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:01 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Smile

I remember that vid. . . inspirational, but I have a LONG way to go before I can do it as well as you do. Smile

sara48 wrote:
A forwards powerslide spin sounds intresting, I might try it later today Smile
Watch out for the front foot going down too hard. . . it's really hard to prevent the toe catching on the front foot, but not so hard on the back foot because when the back toe catches it shifts weight off that leg and onto the front leg, but of course with the front foot there is no further forward leg to shift weight to Smile. So far I find it damned near impossible unless I get the weight distribution just right and all the floor conditions are right: I find it easiest on a perfect floor like Tesco or B&Q, preferably when it's slightly dusty (seems to lower the friction, a bit like when you were a kid and you found you could slide along the kitchen floor in your socks... I used to like that anyway Very Happy) and only braking VERY gently with the front - I'm not sure it will ever be possible to do a full forwards powerslide with both feet, unless you do it in the Bloodstain stance? Very Happy (I can't bloodstain yet but the physics says it stands more chance of working than a forwards powerslide in normal heeling stance). Smile

seth1230
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:41 pm  Reply with quote
Heelys Encyclopedia

arent the powerslide thingys korean toe jams but in the other way?

but yeah i agree youve gotten better although everytime you drag the toe of the shoe i cringe.

H4L&&&&BiGMaC BE MAH BFFLEZ
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:32 pm  Reply with quote

seth1230™ wrote:
arent the powerslide thingys korean toe jams but in the other way?
Hehe, I dunno mate, that's one I never figure out since I don't think it's on the tricktionary, but I know you can tell me: What exactly does a korean toe jam involve? Smile

seth1230™ wrote:
but yeah i agree youve gotten better
Thanks. Smile I hope so, I've been practising every week so if I hadn't gotten better I'd be a bit annoyed with myself. Smile

seth1230™ wrote:
although everytime you drag the toe of the shoe i cringe.
How come? Smile

seth1230
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:19 pm  Reply with quote
Heelys Encyclopedia

kills them, i mean its okay for vert shoes but shoes like ninjas for daily wear, it wastes the grip and when you go to slippery stores the shoe wont grip w/o wheel ESP. w/ wheel.

H4L&&&&BiGMaC BE MAH BFFLEZ
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:51 am  Reply with quote

seth1230™ wrote:
kills them, i mean its okay for vert shoes but shoes like ninjas for daily wear, it wastes the grip and when you go to slippery stores the shoe wont grip w/o wheel ESP. w/ wheel.
Cool, thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye on the toe-wear Smile

I found out what the Korean Toe Jam looks like on youtube. . . it's a spinning powerslide done on one foot. My trick is a little less impressive (at least to my mind) since most of the powerslide is done with both wheels/feet on the ground. But yeah that Korean Toe Jam looks sweet, I'm going to have to practise that when I get round to it. Smile (but I still got so much to learn, it probably won't be for a while) Smile