Heelychat Forum Index
<  Off-Topic  ~  HELP ME!!1
XxHeelyZxX
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:07 pm  Reply with quote
Heelys Maniac/Punmaster in Training

help with my algebra hw!!!! gahh! why must you be confusing >_< Mad

Directons : Write an equation for each problem. Then Solve.

5. The lesser of two consecutive even integers is 10 more than one-half the greater. Find the integers.

6.The greater of two consecutive even integers is 6 less than three times the lesser.

7. Find four consecutive integers such that twice the sum of the two greater integers exceeds three times the first by 91.

8. Find a set of four consecutive positive integers such that the greatest integer in the set is twice the least integer in the set.

#3 Of PEAR Club
51,200 G.P.
Brian/Danny/H2/Emma are my Short Palz Very Happy

seth1230™: lmfao i log in and i see HT say im a hooker xD
shifter1254: then i guess i want to hug hold hands and kiss HT
IVI4V3R1CK: alrighty guys, I'm out like the fat kid in dodgeball
01001001: yes...i'm a gay robot
HeelysBabe: -milks the cow-
Kain: @emma....*cough*nymph*cough*...
EmmaHeelz: that hamster is sexayyy
HeelysBabe: WAIT...YOUR A GIRL?!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Slicer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:54 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

This whole thing is a pile of . This whole business of "consecutive even integers" is empty crap; what they mean is "add 2".

5. X = ((X+2)/2) + 10. 2X = X + 22, X = 22. (lesser is 22, greater is 24).
6. X = (X-2)*3 - 6. X = 3X - 12. X = 6. (lesser is 4, greater is 6).
7. X+91 = (X+2) + (X+3). X = 2X - 86. X = 86. (Integers are 86, 87, 88, 89).
8. X = (X+3)/2, 2X = X + 3, X = 3. (Integers are 3, 4, 5, 6. No, the middle two didn't actually have anything to do with the problem.)

In case you're wondering, no, you will never actually use any of this in real life. You're better served developing twitch reactions in video games.

Merrie_England
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:34 am  Reply with quote

EDIT: As I often do I have had second thoughts about posting this post, because it began as a simple example and grew until it became what many of you will no doubt consider "too long". . . in the past I've often spent hours on a post only to delete it shortly after posting when I realise how long it's got. . . in this case I guess I've left it since you're still reading this. I also worry about writing things that seem to disagree with other people, since no matter how many smileys you use, things can always be taken in a different way to what they were intended, and I never mean to cause this, but hopefully my intention of portraying well-meaning friendliness has come across right? Oh well. Read it if you have the time, and if you don't, well, never mind Very Happy

Slicer wrote:
In case you're wondering, no, you will never actually use any of this in real life. You're better served developing twitch reactions in video games.

LOL Laughing - I dunno Smile granted you might not use much algebra if you wanna work in some professions, but if you go into some high tech fields, being able to ace algebra can definitely be an advantage, and even in simple jobs it crops up a lot: I've found several occasions when I've been able to apply algebra to solve a real life problem far quicker, even in jobs as simple as counting bulk packed 100-spindles of DVDs on their sides on a pallet in a pyramid shape (each layer has to be one smaller than the layer below so that they don't roll off): My colleagues were all counting the actual spindles one by one, which was taking considerable time, so I brought up a quick equation which meant you only had to count the width of the bottom row and the depth, plug in the numbers, and you were given the answer in seconds rather than it taking 10 minutes to manually count each pallet. It's still in use to this day. Pity I didn't charge a consulting fee Very Happy But, I did get a better job off of my references from that job, so maybe I did ok in the end? Smile

If I remember right, the equation was based on the same equation that defines how many handshakes will have to take place when n people meet ((n^2)/2 - n/2), assuming they each shake each other persons hand only once. At the time when I was taught this handshake equation (about age 14 I guess) I thought this was a rather useless equation, but it seems I proved myself wrong, since I later recognised the same pattern (1, 3, 6, 10, 15 . . .) in the numbers of spindles in a row on a pallet, albeit with a plus sign in place of the minus ((n^2)/2 + n/2) and multiplying the whole thing by the width to which they were stacked. Very Happy

But stuff like that (applying a little algebraic knowledge even in a packing room) has shown me that algebra can be useful in real life. Slice may be right that twitch reactions are MORE useful, I'm just saying algebra (and many more esoteric fields of mathematics) can be a very useful tool too, even in unlikely places, if you have the eye to see where they may be applied. Smile

But it's true that the way algebra homework/problems are often written is unnecessarily confusing. I think teachers have sometimes perhaps been teachers so long that they forget what it was like the first time they came across a new equation or concept, and so they risk losing touch with the best methods of explaining them. Hopefully the good teachers can avoid this pitfall.

So, basically what I am saying to anyone struggling with algebra is: it's not always in vain, don't give up hope, it could one day turn up useful, but if you can't understand the way one person or teacher teaches something, it's always ok to ask another person for help too. Smile

Perhaps I wouldn't make a very good teacher as I tend to rattle on too much eh? LOL Laughing

Just hoping this helps give two sides of the same story Smile

Last edited by Merrie_England on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:03 am; edited 2 times in total

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"
XxHeelyZxX
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:04 pm  Reply with quote
Heelys Maniac/Punmaster in Training

just makin sure. slice u mean the /'s mean over like 1 over 2 would be 1/2 ?

#3 Of PEAR Club
51,200 G.P.
Brian/Danny/H2/Emma are my Short Palz Very Happy

seth1230™: lmfao i log in and i see HT say im a hooker xD
shifter1254: then i guess i want to hug hold hands and kiss HT
IVI4V3R1CK: alrighty guys, I'm out like the fat kid in dodgeball
01001001: yes...i'm a gay robot
HeelysBabe: -milks the cow-
Kain: @emma....*cough*nymph*cough*...
EmmaHeelz: that hamster is sexayyy
HeelysBabe: WAIT...YOUR A GIRL?!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

Arlon: yep, that's what Slicer meant, and me too Smile The forward slash for divide or "over" is often used because it's a pain to put the ÷ divide sign online and it can sometimes be mistaken for a plus + sign Smile

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"
Redemption
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

I would love to help you but looking at this makes my head hurt, I have no idea what its about lol. Merrie when I see your posts that are that size I usually look fast at pieces to see if I see anything intresting. (Not even fast reading just looking ) Razz