Heelychat Forum Index
<  Off-Topic  ~  EXTRA CREDIT..hard as all get out..MATH PROBLEM!
HeelysBabe
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

I can't figure this mofo out, its extra credit, due next week..anyone Mathimatical smart? LOL

You have four numbers: 553, 546, 897, and 318. However, the numbers aren't what they seem. One of the numbers (I'm not telling you which!) is actually in base 13, one is in base 17, one is in base 19, and one is in base 23. It's just coincidence that all four numbers only use digits 9 and below.

Now, if you add all four numbers and convert them to base 32 notation, the resulting number can also be written only using digits 0-9. What is that sum, as denoted in base 32? For example, if the sum in base 10 was 288, you would submit the base 32 answer: 90.

Funny Quotes:
seth1230™: he was spanking the salami. relieiving stress, visiting mrs. palmer and her three friends, we get it.
seth1230™: i need more people to lube me, not just hsb
AgeMeansNothing: I've played with shocking toys before
seth1230™: ive had more things in my mouth then paris hilton.
Slicer:pole humping can be a shocking experience and is not for everyone
Heely Hailey:ive never been to CO, but isnt the grand canyon there or sumthin?
XxHeelyZxX: i wonder if santy clause was gay, would he be Panty clause?
EmmaHeelz: OMG! THERE'S THREE EIFFEL TOWERS?!?!?!
Slicer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:30 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

HeelysBabe wrote:
I can't figure this mofo out, its extra credit, due next week..anyone Mathimatical smart? LOL

You have four numbers: 553, 546, 897, and 318. However, the numbers aren't what they seem. One of the numbers (I'm not telling you which!) is actually in base 13, one is in base 17, one is in base 19, and one is in base 23. It's just coincidence that all four numbers only use digits 9 and below.

Now, if you add all four numbers and convert them to base 32 notation, the resulting number can also be written only using digits 0-9. What is that sum, as denoted in base 32? For example, if the sum in base 10 was 288, you would submit the base 32 answer: 90.

This isn't hard, it's just tedious as all hell.

Unless you want to divine new mathematical theories, the only way to solve this is to calculate all four bases of all four numbers, add up each of the 24 pemutations of them, and calculate those in base 32 until you get something that uses 0-9s only.

Have fun.

Merrie_England
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:02 am  Reply with quote

LOL yeah, Slicer is right. Who on earth sets questions like that? Very Happy It's like the mathematical equivalent of being told to write lines on the board: is there anything you might have done to annoy your teacher? Very Happy (j/k)

If I was going to do it I'd write a little subroutine to work out all the permutations for me, so if you know any programming languages (even a BASIC should do) - that could save you some time Smile

The other possibillity I can imagine is that there might be something we're missing, some little juxtaposition that if made, would make the whole question much less tedious. . . but maybe I'm not smart (or awake) enough to see it Smile

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"