Heelychat Forum Index
<  Tips Tricks & Techniques  ~  Turning on vert
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:37 am  Reply with quote

OK, I drove 120 miles this morning to go to a proper indoor skatepark with a bowl and half-pipes and all that jazz (none of the public parks round here have true halfpipes, just ramps and maybe one quarter pipe, and the transitions are usually unsuitable for heelys).

When I first got on the half-pipe I could run on the flat to get speed, and roll half way up one side on my wheels, and back down still on the wheels but riding fakie (backwards). . . I was trying to learn to pump like that for a couple of hours, and after a while I found the going forwards and coming down backwards relatively do-able, but the other part where I go UP backwards and come down forwards, I usually lose balance on that bit and have to run down on my toes.

So, I figure, what I need to be able to do (for a start) is do that thing I've seen the Mac's doing on Merlyn's Pump-tutorial where, when they get to the top of their upwards motion, they flip around somehow and come back down still going forwards - I can't seem to get that yet, it looks like a cross between a jump and a really quick 180 turn in the air. Are there any tips anyone can give me on how to work my way up to doing that?

Would it be advisable to learn to "jump in" first. as I can't do that yet either?

Thanks, ME. Smile

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"
Slicer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:55 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

Wow ME- your muscle memory must work completely different from the rest of us or you're doing completely different practices to get where you are.

Have you carved anything? Try THAT for a bit. Focus on getting up, turning on it, and coming back down. THEN make that higher and tighter. THEN try the super pump-jump stuff. Razz

Merrie_England
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:29 am  Reply with quote

Slicer wrote:
Wow ME- your muscle memory must work completely different from the rest of us or you're doing completely different practices to get where you are.
That's quite possible - in real life I've never even SEEN another heeler attempt vert stuff, so it's hard to know how to do stuff and I sorta have to make a lot of it up myself as i go along. But what makes you say that? Is it because you found it harder to come down backwards than turn and come down forwards?

But yes, I really wish I could see someone else in real life do vert and maybe gimme some tips, but I don't know anyone else here who can do vert.

Slicer wrote:
Have you carved anything? Try THAT for a bit. Focus on getting up, turning on it, and coming back down. THEN make that higher and tighter.
Sounds like a plan, thanks. And yeah, I did some carving in the bowl yesterday, but yes, I'm sure more practise would be advantageous.

Slicer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:55 am  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

Quote:
But what makes you say that? Is it because you found it harder to come down backwards than turn and come down forwards?

Yes, and I'm in the clear majority.

I'm sure that a few people actually are stable enough on fakie where going up is as easy as coming back down, so they don't see the problem, and this is how they learn vert. I should probably actually practice the same thing that you're doing; my downhill fakie is sloppy at best.

It's just that you skipped the turning-around practice because you thought the quick-180s were the only 180s.

Maybe there should be a video called "Intermediate Steps" to bridge the gap between "Oh god what are they doing I could never do that!" and "Here's what I can do right now".

Merrie_England
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:06 am  Reply with quote

Right, I get ya. To be honest I've never tried a full on drop-in backwards, right from the top of the coping, the only reason I find it easy to come down backwards is because I can only get about 2 foot up the slope so far, LOL, so the coming down isn't so bad - this is because my pumping SUCKS. But yeah, good idea about the intermediate demo's.

seth1230
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:08 pm  Reply with quote
Heelys Encyclopedia

just turn your front foot. the reason they like 180 jump airish on the over vert is because its over vert and you get more pump like that, but on the lower part of the halfpipe they usually do tricks instead of just turning and pumping.

H4L&&&&BiGMaC BE MAH BFFLEZ