Heelychat Forum Index
<  Picture & Video  ~  Merrie's ULTIMATE Wheel ! :D
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:12 am  Reply with quote

wondercheese wrote:
you should post the plans (if you're not going for patent) and let other's have a crack at making some! Those are awesome!

WC
I sorta just did all the planning in my head. . . that was the same reason they didn't like the way I programmed at university LOL, they wanted me to do 5 levels of pseudocode, starting with english and ending with the program written in a high level language. . . I found it impossible to be that incompetent and just wanted to write the source code rightaway LOL.

I guess I could just do a little sketch if anyone needs it? Smile

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"
IVI4V3R1CK
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:02 pm  Reply with quote

Having the disability to watch YT vids at work I am going to take a shot in the dark to sum up what you did:

You took 2 47mm wheels, lathed them to the diameter of a Fats wheel, and then stuck them together with a spacer?

Also, I am looking around at people calling them Green Fat whatevers... Does that mean like the Fat wheel? Or Phat (meaning pimp, which those wheels are)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

IVI4V3R1CK wrote:
Having the disability to watch YT vids at work I am going to take a shot in the dark to sum up what you did:

You took 2 47mm wheels, lathed them to the diameter of a Fats wheel, and then stuck them together with a spacer?

Also, I am looking around at people calling them Green Fat whatevers... Does that mean like the Fat wheel? Or Phat (meaning pimp, which those wheels are)

Indeed, they're not fats, they're MEGA's Smile - i lathed them down only fractionally, so they're just above 46mm diameter - they fit in either Medium or LARGE mega wheel bays (anything from US size 6 and up) - I thought about making a small mega pair but it would have been difficult to fit four sets of 608s on that axle, which (I guess) is why the usual freespins come with 688s, but since i prefer 608s i went this route.

And also I had to change the width, inline wheels are usually 25mm wide so two of these with a spacer would have been at least 51mm wide, whilst meduim Mega's are 41mm ish, so I had to mill them down a little in width, whilst being sure to keep them true, and then I had to bore out the centres a little since inline bearings sit flush, and the loss of width meant the bearings would be proud, and I needed them recessed like heely wheels or the axles would have been too wide. . . it was quite a lengthy process really, which is why I was proud of the result: I have other little projects going on wheel-wise but this is my favourite. Smile

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"