Heelychat Forum Index
<  Picture & Video  ~  "I Got New Heelys!" Thread
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:52 am  Reply with quote

~~>Tuna<~~ wrote:
Are you buying emma's zevos? If so, you'll have an evo family alongside seth's
Yep, I'm still interested in any Zevo's if they're in like new condition.

IGO: I like the doomsday Idea, LOL. Wonder if it will be like in the Terminator films/series: if so, maybe I could survive by faking being a machine by rolling along, after all, most humans don't have wheeled feet Very Happy

As for how long torches last, it depends how you treat them. The first thing to go is usually the back brakes if you drag them a lot, like when controlling your speed for a long downhill slope. . . that's why I always tend to go down hills fakie - and drag my forefoot, OR using my opposite leg to usual, to even-out the wear, plus it looks cool if you stick taildevils in your toes and leave a trail of fire (don't try this at home kids, fire is dangerous) Wink

Also, if you land hard on the wheels on flat ground (not smoothly as you would if dropping in) it can cause some damage, either to the wheel bay or the axles by bending them such that the wheels wobble a bit when you skate, but this is less likely to happen if you keep the axles screwed tight, and don't skate on loose ones.

And if you wash them too many times in a washing machine/tumble dryer (which you're not supposed to do at all) eventually the different rubbers of the sole will be different sizes and it will deform the wheel well such that the wheel rubs the top, especially when you footy, although normal heeling still seems good.

I put my first pair of torches through months of at least an hour a day, and the only damage was from my mistreatment in things like the washing machine, but if you skate a lot and have a nose you'll soon realise why a darn good wash becomes necessary Very Happy

I bet if you treated your torches carefully they could easilly last you 6 months even with the heaviest skating, and years without less severe skating.

The wheels are another story, and again depends greatly on how you treat them: no skating in puddles unless you clean them right after, remove axles and clean the bearings regularly with something like choke and carb cleaner (no WD40, oil or water, water rusts them and WD40/oil tends to be slightly sticky and attract more dirt) and again, make sure the axles are screwed tight when you put them back to prevent bending the thread:

If you hear a clicking sound when you step on them that's often loose axles, and if you hear a weird crunchy/clicky sound kinda like Rice Crispies when you roll on them, that's the well-known "air bubbles" - this is basically the clear outer plastic of the wheel moving and scrunching against the black inner core which surrounds the bearings, because the bond has broken down, and again depends how you treat your wheels. I might be wrong, but in my experience it seems that if you regularly hit the ground hard on your wheels, or force them out by putting a lot of force on the sides where the bond is, air-bubbles will come sooner, as it will of course separate the two plastics pretty quickly that way - For Mega's in Torches I recommend using the tool only against the axle, like this. (For FATs or wheels in Ninjas it doesn't require much force so just use your thumbs).

As for putting them back in, I do that carefully too, and not "slam your foot to the ground" as some vids suggest - in hundreds and hundreds of hours of skating I've never needed to SLAM my foot down to get the wheels in - applying gentle pressure until you can feel that it's in is usually enough, followed by a quick look to check with your eyes.

I won't write any more because I've been informed by other posters that most kids don't have the attention span for it anyway. Very Happy

Last edited by Merrie_England on Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"
im goin outside
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:59 am  Reply with quote

simply saying "6 months would be fine" but i thank you for all of that information.
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:08 am  Reply with quote

LOL, it's no problem - I like to try to give accurate answers is all. I mean they can last a lot longer than 6 months, or less if you go crazy on them, but yeah, guess there's no short answer to the question of how long they'll last you. Smile

Maybe I should get the title of "Heelychat Essay-writer" Laughing

Last edited by Merrie_England on Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total

im goin outside
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:11 am  Reply with quote

well thats ok, short answers aren't always best. And that sounded like a pretty accurate answer.
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:02 pm  Reply with quote

Might be a bit quiet in this thread for a bit: with christmas coming I'm going to have to stop buying heelys for a while. Surprised

Got a few more pairs still in the post on their way to me, so Tuna if you want pics I might be able to get some of those posted - but other than that, it's over to others to keep the HSL company in business for now Very Happy

wondercheese
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

ME,

You can always do what I'm doing, just give Heelys as Christmas gifts! I have a new pair for my dad, and several thrift store scores for my friends (we have a $10 cap)!

WC

Thu 21:53] wondercheese: we weren't trying to cause damage, and we DID pay for the broken lotion!
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:20 am  Reply with quote

wondercheese wrote:
You can always do what I'm doing, just give Heelys as Christmas gifts! I have a new pair for my dad, and several thrift store scores for my friends (we have a $10 cap)!

Already am Smile

I'm giving new Toxics for christmas to my friends/relatives who Heel (which are already bought and paid for and en route) - since Toxics are fine Heelys and only $39.97 now they're on clearance at Sports Authority. But that's about as cheap as we can get Heelys. . . We do have charity shops here (probably simiilar to your "thrift stores") but I've never seen heelys in them yet, and I'm positive we could never get heelys here for $10, except perhaps if you were REALLY lucky on eBay. Smile

Big Mac
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:33 pm  Reply with quote
Team Heelys - Northeast

i just got new zevos from ebay .. i'll post pics as soon as i can
wondercheese
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:35 pm  Reply with quote

ME

Charity shop = thrift store, if it contains used stuff donated by other ppl! I pretty much never find heelys at the ones in my area, but I seem to find them every time I got with my friend. I got two pairs the last time I was home, and didn't spend more than $5 for both! At the one here, one time, I found a pair of Spidey Evos with BDs, for $10.

WC

Thu 21:53] wondercheese: we weren't trying to cause damage, and we DID pay for the broken lotion!
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:48 am  Reply with quote

Whilst it's true I won't be buying new Heelys for a while, since most of the good Heelys are found in the USA, there's still a few pairs outstanding that are making their way to me, so I guess I will still have some pics to post after all Very Happy

So, earlier this month whilst the Ninja's and Rumbles were only $20.99 on Amazon I snagged me a couple of pairs, with the help of my good friend Maverick Very Happy

Here's me newest pair of Rumbles:

Black and Orange. The above pic doesn't do them justice, but I just love the Orange detailing on the logo's, insoles, lace-ends, and especially in the wheelbay . . . which goes so well with the Orange of the Rumble wheels.

Sorry they're not completely clean for the pics. . . the instant I got them out of the box I couldn't resist trying them out. Very Happy Now to complete my Rumbles collection I just need the brown ones (got the wheat). Smile

Is it just me after wearing Ninja's for a couple of weeks, or do rumbles run a size larger than your average Heelys? They're just so roomy and comfortable. Very Happy I usually need Size 7 Heelys but I'd bet I could fit into Size 6 Rumbles with no problems. Smile

And I've just realised. . . with that large depression in front of the wheelbay around the midsole, rumbles would lend themselves nicely to becoming a grind-model if I could get a spare plate and stick it on: that might have to be a later project. Smile

Hidude28
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:37 pm  Reply with quote
Team Heelys

i just got rumbles too.

I don't want to post pics tho. they run pretty big for heelys

I LIKE EMOTES

Slicer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:36 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

To continue the subconversation: Post-nuclear wastelands are hell on Heelys, unless you're in a Vault or something. The pavement's all chopped up, bits of glass and grit and debris are everywhere... yeah. No good at all.

Now a rotating space station, on the other hand...

Merrie_England
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:40 am  Reply with quote

Slicer wrote:
Now a rotating space station, on the other hand...
Yeah, i've been looking for a place to perfect the kickswitch technique lately. . . most smoth places are too small, and you have to stop and go back the other way too soon to get into the flow of it, and malls are often too crowded to safely get maximal speed, but yeah, a large circular corridor would be fine, as long as the artificial gravity was right Very Happy

~~>Tuna<~~
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:45 pm  Reply with quote

Gah, I've been away for a while, but I got my rumbles a few weeks ago.. I'd post pics, but I'm at school.

[Tue 21:23] Slicer: you are now the moderator of Canada
H33lyT3dy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:10 am  Reply with quote

I know it's an old thread, but I got new ninjas in 1 week Razz , at last

*does an awesome frontside tru*
Non-Heeler : WHOA! THAT WAS SICK!
*buys Heelys*
Heeler : Smart choice!