Heelychat Forum Index
<  Tips Tricks & Techniques  ~  Handplant
IVI4V3R1CK
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

OK, so a couple questions of the legitimacy of a handplant

1st, how far up do you have to go, or is it just as long as your hands are on the coping and your wheels come up, you're OK

2nd, when landing it, as long as you land on your wheels you will be ok, even if it ends your run

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
seth1230
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:01 pm  Reply with quote
Heelys Encyclopedia

at NTL trials, we had to be upright like handstand for at least 2 seconds and last practice david changed it so that yu had to renter the pipe forwards not just fall back in and land backwards.

H4L&&&&BiGMaC BE MAH BFFLEZ
Kain
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:17 pm  Reply with quote

seth1230™ wrote:
david changed it so that yu had to renter the pipe forwards not just fall back in and land backwards.

oh crap Shocked

"Passed away in silence
The flute from the realm unseen
Empties its heart
Making love to me
With its enchanting melody.
Light of Orion,
Shadow of Andromeda,
Call of the dancing Universe.
The labyrinth I must enter
Before thou can blame my soul
With an age of peace"

"Love me for who i am, love my soul...not the body it occupies, love my heart, not the desire it hides...and love me....for what i am..."

Merrie_England
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:23 pm  Reply with quote

I say the only person you should compete against is yourself. For instance, with learning 180s which took me a long while, for a while I could do them but not very fast, but I wanted to be able to do them full speed, so I kept at it until now I am almost satisfied with them.

If you're happy with your handplant, good for you, nobody should be able to tell you "yours isn't a proper handplant because. . ."

On the other hand (no pun intended), if you would like to be able to handplant for longer, or do it better, or whatever, you go for it Smile

That's my two pence anyway Smile

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"
IVI4V3R1CK
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

its known as Cents... Something you Brits lack

and I am totally joking with you M.E., I just couldn't resist the play on words...

Anywho...

I compete with myself, but the down side is that I have no proper training. When it comes to Heeling, I am self made 100% which led me down some pretty bumpy roads.

For instance, when I was doing vert, check out some of my old vids... I planted my foot for the longest time going down because thats how I taught myself... I thought it was right until I saw other people roll down fluidly... Me planting was killing my speed, making my vert runs a lot shorter.

Always push yourself to new limits and always challenge yourself to new heights, but when its all said and done for, not only could you be performing a trick wrong, you could easily set yourself up for disaster

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
AgeMeansNothing
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

I wish there were a competent heeler near me that my boys and I could learn from. Watching videos is one thing, but having someone right there, showing and telling and correcting is quite another. :\

Hoping everyone stays happy, healthy, and heeling!
My Heelys: Escape #9110, Rumble #7317, Torch #9116, Suede Dogs #7501
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
heelingforlyfe™
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:29 pm  Reply with quote
Team Heelys - SoCal

AgeMeansNothing wrote:
I wish there were a competent heeler near me that my boys and I could learn from. Watching videos is one thing, but having someone right there, showing and telling and correcting is quite another. :\

you're telling me. skating with dave a few days ago was amazing.

seth1230™: we be on our hoes all day.
seth1230™: i mean shoes.
DeezUU: I keep my shoes in check on the daily
DeezUU: gotta keep your gimphand strong!!

seth1230™: im on a boat and
HannahHeelz: it's going fast and
heelingforlyfe™: i've got a nautical themed, pashmina afghan

SEBASS IZ MAH BESFRANNNN.
Kain
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

heelingforlyfe wrote:
AgeMeansNothing wrote:

you're telling me. skating with dave a few days ago was amazing.

hellz yeah Very Happy

I got so much better at pumping in just one day of him instructing me.

"Passed away in silence
Empties its heart
Making love to me
Light of Orion,
Shadow of Andromeda,
With an age of peace"

"Love me for who i am, love my soul...not the body it occupies, love my heart, not the desire it hides...and love me....for what i am..."

Merrie_England
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:09 pm  Reply with quote

IVI4V3R1CK wrote:
its known as Cents... Something you Brits lack

and I am totally joking with you M.E., I just couldn't resist the play on words...
It's ok, I was joking too. Very Happy I am well aware that the saying is usually "my two cents," I just thought I'd translate it since it was me saying it Very Happy

AgeMeansNothing wrote:
I wish there were a competent heeler near me that my boys and I could learn from. Watching videos is one thing, but having someone right there, showing and telling and correcting is quite another.:\
Absolutely, that's why I've gotten 4 of my closest friends into heeling, so that we can each learn from each other. Some are younger, which seems to mean they pick up the balance skills easily, and some are older like me, meaning they have different things to contribute too. It's most useful. Smile

And I learned quickly that I can learn something even from the youngest of them: for instance, when I was switching, I tended to let me upper body go up and down, because obviously when my legs are straight down (the mid point of the switch) my head would be higher than when my legs were straight out in front and behind. . . I noticed that this youngster I helped teach to heel, when she switches, she lets her feet do a kind of outwards curve, so even when keeping the legs straight during a switch her head stays at the same height.

Merrie_England
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:28 am  Reply with quote

IVI4V3R1CK wrote:
when its all said and done for, not only could you be performing a trick wrong, you could easily set yourself up for disaster
Interesting, what do you mean mate? I mean I know you could fall and hurt yourself (which is always a possibility) but I'm guessing you were talking about something worse than that?

seth1230
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:18 pm  Reply with quote
Heelys Encyclopedia

Merrie_England wrote:
IVI4V3R1CK wrote:
when its all said and done for, not only could you be performing a trick wrong, you could easily set yourself up for disaster
Interesting, what do you mean mate? I mean I know you could fall and hurt yourself (which is always a possibility) but I'm guessing you were talking about something worse than that?

well when Coop was trying to do a kobayashi it was still a trick in progress and dave chau who made it could abrely land it but they had decided its like a kamikaze you turn opposite your lead foot and 360 into the ramp, well coop tried one but not knowing how to do it correctly he screwed up his ankle, he hasnt been too involved with the heelys company since then and has metal screws in his ankle. Gimping can also hurt your leg on the way back seeing as your going to be going full speed if you plant before going in, that foot could easily just stay there and you can say goodbye to a couple of your children.

oh and what your smaller friend is doing with switching feet outwards is called propulsion switching, you'll notice you can gain a decent amount of speed that way, if you cant already kickswitch fluidly.

H4L&&&&BiGMaC BE MAH BFFLEZ
merlyn_DHC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:59 pm  Reply with quote
Team Heelys - Northeast

I don't know if we've expanded the topic to "whether a trick is ever strictly right or wrong".

The short answer is "no", with a HUUUUGGEEE "BUT".

In so far as there is no judging body, or authority to deem a trick right or wrong, you can pull it however you want.

BUT .. if a trick is sloppy, people will know it. Let me share a little philosophy (puts on black hat and brings out brandy).

The way I see skating (all forms) is that its somewhere in-between an art form and a sport. Its not really either. So its hard to say what is a proper trick and what isn't. But what I can say is this:

Athletics is the ultimate way of glorifying the motions of the human body.

In that regard, sloppy execution takes something great, and makes it something trivial. That's why I don't like to take the easy way out of a lot of tricks. If I personally don't think its shows how we (as people) have the amazing ability to balance, accelerate, and soar - then I personally consider it done wrong.

Again, its kinda of like art. You see something and you know its "right". You see other examples and you just know its "crap". It may vary from person to person. BUT - there is some art .. some rare art that appeals to everyone. That's because it glorifies the amazing capability of the artist. And in doing so, it helps everyone to realize that they have that inner-potential. It speaks to the truth .. that it is special to be human.

That's also why I don't care for tricks like the bloodstain. Because they look dumb (to me). And I don't see any animal in the animal kingdom doing that for speed, balance or any other useful thing.

Getting back to the handplant. The handplant that we do today is already a dummied down handplant. I know .. I've almost landed a handplant tru (until I hurt my shoulder on the "Kizmet"). You have to pump, accelerate, air and land it without touching the sole (at all). Then pitch and come back in ..

I don't like ending the run on any trick because skating is 50% about flow .. and with no flow, you kill half of it.

So - I don't consider myself the "authority" on what trick is legit and what isn't. I've never claimed to be. But I am the captain of my team. And within that small circle of skaters, a handplant isn't landed right if you have to gimp.

MDHZ

Last edited by merlyn_DHC on Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

[Wed 7:53] Slicer: *looks at Merlyn's finger frenzy score*
[Wed 7:53] Slicer: *face screws up in a combination of amazement and a sort of horror*

[Fri 12:06] IVI4V3R1CK: hey Merlyn, if you don't mind me asking, whys your name yellow?
[Fri 12:07] merlyn_DHC: Because I'm Chinese
[Fri 12:08] merlyn_DHC: (isn't that obvious) ?
[Fri 12:08] IVI4V3R1CK: o.o... thats kinda wrong
[Fri 12:08] merlyn_DHC: HAHAHA

David: Hey RU there ?
H33LYcRaZeD: yeah
David: How things ?
H33LYcRaZeD: thongs arte good

Big Mac: to go to camp quality to give lessons and give away hoes
Kain
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

no one could've said it better Very Happy

I think it's a little more of a sport than an art form....art is all about impressing people and expressing yourself, but a sport is just about having fun. Skating leans a little more towards a sport b/c you don't worry as much about what other people think.

But you're absolutely right about execution....people love it when you land a trick perfectly b/c it looks amazing, and the more perfect it is, the harder it looks to pull off.

"Passed away in silence
Empties its heart
Making love to me
Light of Orion,
Shadow of Andromeda,
With an age of peace"

IVI4V3R1CK
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:27 pm  Reply with quote

I actually have to lean towards art/self expression... I love landing the same tricks over and over and over... and pretty soon I get my own style (like my Frontside grinds) which I do ALL THE TIME now...

I can see what you are saying though Dave, and I couldn't agree more, but in true style of execution, I say make it pretty... All in all, you're the one who has to sleep at night. If you like it, then fudge the world and what they think, cause you like it...

It may sound different from what I originally stated, but I was just curious at the proper execution of the trick...

Merrie_England
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:45 pm  Reply with quote

Merrie_England wrote:
And I learned quickly that I can learn something even from the youngest of them: for instance, when I was switching, I tended to let me upper body go up and down, because obviously when my legs are straight down (the mid point of the switch) my head would be higher than when my legs were straight out in front and behind. . . I noticed that this youngster I helped teach to heel, when she switches, she lets her feet do a kind of outwards curve, so even when keeping the legs straight during a switch her head stays at the same height.
seth1230™ wrote:
oh and what your smaller friend is doing with switching feet outwards is called propulsion switching, you'll notice you can gain a decent amount of speed that way, if you cant already kickswitch fluidly.
Ah, my bad, I didn't explain myself correctly. I can do propulsion switching and it wasn't that. What i meant was the way her feet curve when she switches is out towards the centre of the switch, and back in as she finishes the switch. It's hard to explain in words so here's a couple of little sketches to explain:

This is how I was switching: feet move in straight lines such that at the midpoint (figure 2a) my body and head was higher than at the start and end of the switch:

And this is how she was switching, which meant that her body and head stayed at the same height above the ground, which I suppose is less confusing for the brain/balance than being bobbed up and down:

As I understand it Propulsion Switching means your feet sorta do this, at least this is how I propulsion switch and it seems to work:

Hope this explains better. Smile