Heelychat Forum Index
<  Tips Tricks & Techniques  ~  Help with 180
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:42 am  Reply with quote

I can do backwards on either leg, and backwards shuffle, and revert (either leg), but for some reason it's taking me a lot longer to get the 180 than other tricks. I'm sure there's something I'm missing, and am hoping you guys can tell me what it is.

Now, I know the following helps me to keep balance doing the given move:

Turning left:
It helps to keep balance if I tilt my shoulders to the left, and when doing a shuffle it helps to keep my weight over whichever leg is forwards at any given moment.

Left hand reverts (starting with right leg in front, looking over left shoulder):
I find it helps me if I keep my weight over my front (right) leg as I go backwards, and then turn the back (left) foot and body, and as I do that, switch my weight to being over the already turned (left) leg, whilst I turn the toe of the right foot.

So, any tips on how to keep balance whilst doing 180s?

I mean at what point should the weight be over which leg?

I watched the tricktionary a million times, and it seems that he does the following:

1. Goes forward on his left (strong) leg.
2. Turns the front (left) foot outwards (i.e., to his left)
3. As he turns to his left, does a sort of switch where he brings the right leg forward and the left leg backwards, so he ends up heeling backwards with the left leg behind.

But I can't tell where he's keeping his weight (center of gravity) as he turns, so that he doesn't land on his ass or stop on his toes.

All and any help will be greatly appreciated Smile

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"
Kain
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:30 am  Reply with quote

check out my heelys tutorial. It's on my youtube profile, Kain781. 180 is one of the tricks I go in depth with.

"Passed away in silence
The flute from the realm unseen
Empties its heart
Making love to me
With its enchanting melody.
Light of Orion,
Shadow of Andromeda,
Call of the dancing Universe.
The labyrinth I must enter
Before thou can blame my soul
With an age of peace"

"Love me for who i am, love my soul...not the body it occupies, love my heart, not the desire it hides...and love me....for what i am..."

Merrie_England
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:17 am  Reply with quote

Kain wrote:
check out my heelys tutorial. It's on my youtube profile, Kain781. 180 is one of the tricks I go in depth with.
Thanks - the bit I find difficult is the midpoint, when you're practically in the AOD position - I find it hard not to fall back or have to stamp my toes down quick to prevent that. I'll keep trying, and any more help you or anyone wants to give will be eagerly read and attempted.

edit: ok, one hour later, and I still can't quite keep balance during the mid-point - the bit where you're sort of turning left at the same time as switching legs - but I think I am getting closer:

I can do it as long as there is a wall in at the left to push off on when I'm half way round, otherwise I over-balance forwards - I guess I am overcompensating towards my front because it's preferable to land on your toes than your back. have fallen a few times already today and it's beginning to hurt.

Merrie_England
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:13 am  Reply with quote

Still can't seem to get the balance whilst doing the spin and switch part. . .

For the moment when my feet are side by side they either slip back and end up stopping on my toes or slip sidewards (forwards from under me) and I end up landing on my back/butt, which is hurting my gluteal's.

It may look daft, but I think to give me that extra confidence and safety, next time I try to learn/practise the 180 I am going to strap a pillow to my butt with a big belt. . . of course, this does mean I'll have to practise somewhere nobody can see me, because I'd look like a right wally, but if that's what it takes to learn this I am going to do it GRRR

Redemption
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:21 am  Reply with quote

Idk if this will help you but to learn 180 I used 3 steps I made.

1) Turn

2) Align

3) Back

1) This is the part where you turn your strong leg to the left if Left is ur strong leg or Right if right is your strong leg. You dont turn your left leg completely left or right just alittle bit.

2) Align I used as putting your both feet together. After you turn your leg your other leg goes beside it but not too far. You will then start spinning.

3) Back is when you put yourself into your backwards heeling position. Before I do this part I usually practise going backwards for a while. So after you do #2 you simply get into your backwards postition and you will keep going.

Im not sure if it will help you but this is how I learned it.

Kain
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:02 am  Reply with quote

Merrie_England wrote:
Still can't seem to get the balance whilst doing the spin and switch part. . .

For the moment when my feet are side by side they either slip back and end up stopping on my toes or slip sidewards (forwards from under me) and I end up landing on my back/butt, which is hurting my gluteal's.

It may look daft, but I think to give me that extra confidence and safety, next time I try to learn/practise the 180 I am going to strap a pillow to my butt with a big belt. . . of course, this does mean I'll have to practise somewhere nobody can see me, because I'd look like a right wally, but if that's what it takes to learn this I am going to do it GRRR

One thing that helps with falling like that is to push your front foot back sooner. After you complete the spin, if you don't push your foot back and heel backwards right away, you'll fall.

"Passed away in silence
The flute from the realm unseen
Empties its heart
Making love to me
With its enchanting melody.
Light of Orion,
Shadow of Andromeda,
Call of the dancing Universe.
The labyrinth I must enter
Before thou can blame my soul
With an age of peace"

"Love me for who i am, love my soul...not the body it occupies, love my heart, not the desire it hides...and love me....for what i am..."

Merrie_England
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:00 pm  Reply with quote

Hey guys. I am getting closer to being able to do the 180s well - so I must thank you all for your input.

@Kain - I have your how-to vid on my phone and I watch it before my practises.

And thanks to everyone else who has helped me here. Smile

Today I am two steps close to being able to do a perfect 180:

I can do the first bit (the turning my front left leg to the left)

And the second (the bringing the right back leg around to do half the turn)

And the third: switching legs so that you end up facing backwards with the other leg behind.

But not quite the last bit: moving off in the heeling backwards stance.

At the minute, whenever I complete my "180" I end up facing the other way as I should, but standing still, or if moving, only moving off very slowly. But I will keep practising, and hopefully soon I will be pulling off 180s like they are second nature Smile

Oh yes, and somebody suggested that if I can't do a trick I should try something else for a while and come back to it, and I did: I tried AOD - and although I can only do it for short distances and have to keep separating my feet slightly to regain balance, I was amazed I could do it at all, so I am quite pleased with that Smile

So yeah,

Thanks a million people *hugs*

IVI4V3R1CK
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:37 am  Reply with quote

I didn't actually quite read through the previous post partially due to the fact that I'm at work, the other is because its still 0435...

But alas... I have found it to be easier for me to do a "180" when I first enter a crap walk, and then roll the back foot behind me... It looks kinda cool going through public like you're gonna do a 180, but then stop at 90 for x ammount of time, and then boom, complete it... So it may not be a TRUE 180, but if done fast enough, it could help you get the balance down...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:16 pm  Reply with quote

Hey, I can do it, I can do it, I can do it! Very Happy

Sorry, but I'm kinda over-the-moon right now Very Happy

Been practising an hour a day every day for about 3 weeks now, and now I can do them fluidly and fast and never fall (hehe, now I've jinxed myself) Very Happy

Of course, I so far have only learned to do them by starting with my left leg in front, next I am going to learn to do it from my switch stance, as I always do with all my tricks - Eventually I want to be able to do any trick on any leg.