Heelychat Forum Index
<  Tips Tricks & Techniques  ~  ok....how??
HappyKat
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:23 am  Reply with quote

I just bought some Heelys and these things are beyond difficult. I can't even balance in them on un-carpeted floor. I have watched endless videos teaching the techniques... but I feel like I am never gonna get it. Am I missing something?
Kain
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:32 am  Reply with quote

Nope. Everyone learns at a different rate. Just keep practicing, and you'll get better

"Passed away in silence
The flute from the realm unseen
Empties its heart
Making love to me
With its enchanting melody.
Light of Orion,
Shadow of Andromeda,
Call of the dancing Universe.
The labyrinth I must enter
Before thou can blame my soul
With an age of peace"

"Love me for who i am, love my soul...not the body it occupies, love my heart, not the desire it hides...and love me....for what i am..."

Kage
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:58 am  Reply with quote

You just gotta go for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNW4QwFAX0E

You may need to build up the muscles for it as well. You'll get it though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
HappyKat
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:11 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement. I have seen that video (and others) and I am trying- also, I'm a girl. Guys seem to be better at this, maybe because of the muscle strength?
Laina_Heelz
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:57 pm  Reply with quote

HappyKat wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement. I have seen that video (and others) and I am trying- also, I'm a girl. Guys seem to be better at this, maybe because of the muscle strength?

IDK maybe. It took me a week to learn, yet it took all my friends who were boys 1-3 days. Just takes practice. When you learn to go straight everything else is downhill from there.

Theres lots of awsome girl heelers though. H2, H4l, laramie,(many more sry if i didnt say ur name)

[Sat 17:51] Laina_Heelz: ht its gonna be nice here...should be nice there...though i live not in the same state
[Sat 17:51] HeelyTrickster:Laina that sounded like a poem

[Tue 0:42] HeelysBabe:Im just trying to kill the time
Tue 0:43] merlyn_DHC:Kill time??
[Tue 0:43] merlyn_DHC:Isn't wasting time bad enough?
[Tue 0:43] merlyn_DHC:You have to KILL it ?!

[Thu 14:50] Big Mac: i had crabs once
[Thu 14:50] Big Mac: they kept hurting me though
[Thu 15:18] seth1230™: big mac....crabs are like lice...but that live down there....instead of up there...

laina: ugh! my kitchen is getting done and theres like no food so guess what lunch is if my mom dont give me money......PENUT BUTT
laina: oops! lol
Kain
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:11 am  Reply with quote

HappyKat wrote:

Well H2 is amazing, and she's only 13 lol.....so it has nothing to do with gender Very Happy

"Passed away in silence
Empties its heart
Making love to me
Light of Orion,
Shadow of Andromeda,
With an age of peace"

"Love me for who i am, love my soul...not the body it occupies, love my heart, not the desire it hides...and love me....for what i am..."

AgeMeansNothing
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:19 am  Reply with quote

the important thing is to not give up. It took me a while, too, and I'm a man. It might have more to do with being willing to fall down, which I was not. Wink
anyway, one thing that helped me, as well as my kids when they started, was to find something I could steady myself on while getting my feet into position, and then gently push off from. In my case, it was a couple of stair banisters, and sometimes a doorway, or even the walls of a hallway. Steady yourself and hold your feet in the position. That alone can take some practice. Take it as slowly as you need to. Once you can roll by pulling yourself along, try stepping into it with the step/plant/push thing. Again, take it slow.
One of the hardest parts for me was keeping the toe of my back foot up. That, and my inner thighs is where most of the muscle work was needed. Over time, it gets easier.

Hoping everyone stays happy, healthy, and heeling!
My Heelys: Escape #9110, Rumble #7317, Torch #9116, Suede Dogs #7501
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
IVI4V3R1CK
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:25 am  Reply with quote

Laina_Heelz wrote:
HappyKat wrote:

IDK maybe. It took me a week to learn, yet it took all my friends who were boys 1-3 days. Just takes practice. When you learn to go straight everything else is downhill from there.

Theres lots of awsome girl heelers though. H2, H4l, laramie,(many more sry if i didnt say ur name)

...and Kain XD jk

But on a serious note, it took me a couple of weeks to learn just to go forward, and that was practicing EVERYWHERE! My job is pretty cool with a liability rolling around, and with long hallways, I have definately mastered the forward roll lol.

It just takes finding that "balance point" and getting the courage to push yourself that extra notch. Also, if you're not afraid of cooties XD (I say this because you said that you friends who heel are male), you can get a friend to hold your hand and drag you across, or someone to hold your arm.

Heeling is a weird stance to be in, and like everything, takes a little practice to get decent at it. And then once you get rolling, you will never forget lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kjwheelys
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:31 am  Reply with quote

my first time i cracked my head open and i still fall on my but every once in a whil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kjwheelys
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:44 am  Reply with quote

[quote="HappyKat"]I just bought some Heelys and these things are beyond difficult. I can't even balance in them on un-carpeted floor. I have watched endless videos teaching the techniques... but I feel like I am never gonna get it. Am I missing something?[/quote]what kind of wheels do you have? because i learned on fats but megas are like 20 times easier
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IVI4V3R1CK
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:30 am  Reply with quote

Honestly, I think people who heel should learn in a normal or Fats style wheel. I did, and now I appreciate Megas WAY more, but I can still ride in my Fats and Normals
Kain
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:20 pm  Reply with quote

IVI4V3R1CK wrote:
Honestly, I think people who heel should learn in a normal or Fats style wheel. I did, and now I appreciate Megas WAY more, but I can still ride in my Fats and Normals

meh.....I wouldn't know. I learned on BD's lol

"Passed away in silence
Empties its heart
Making love to me
Light of Orion,
Shadow of Andromeda,
With an age of peace"

HappyKat
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:56 pm  Reply with quote

Mine are fats, I assumed they would be easier (although I don't know too much about the wheel types). Oh and I am 22 (and engaged) so cooties are not an issue Laughing I have been having him pull me around already! It gets a bit discouraging to walk through the mall and see 10 year olds beasting their way down the halls in their heelys... and I can't get going yet Rolling Eyes But I'm still trying. I still can't get my balance on the kitchen floor, only the low-pile carpeted floors.
Kain
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:00 pm  Reply with quote

HappyKat wrote:
Mine are fats, I assumed they would be easier (although I don't know too much about the wheel types). Oh and I am 22 (and engaged) so cooties are not an issue Laughing I have been having him pull me around already! It gets a bit discouraging to walk through the mall and see 10 year olds beasting their way down the halls in their heelys... and I can't get going yet Rolling Eyes But I'm still trying. I still can't get my balance on the kitchen floor, only the low-pile carpeted floors.

lol....well, good luck

"Passed away in silence
Empties its heart
Making love to me
Light of Orion,
Shadow of Andromeda,
With an age of peace"

Kage
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:32 am  Reply with quote

HappyKat wrote:

Awesome! Another adult heeler! We only have 4 or so... =P

I think heeling is somewhat easier for smaller kids to pick up on than it is for adults. Stick with it though. Once you learn to propulsion switch it's the greatest thing ever.