Heelychat Forum Index
<  General  ~  New to Heely's
jthorpefl
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:26 am  Reply with quote

Hey there everyone, I am new to Heely's. I just bought a pair yesterday and tried them out with very little luck........ Sad I know that it will take practice, but every time that I try, either the back foot I don't get up in time or forget, so it is almost like doing the splits, or when I do get both feet up, I feel like I am going to fall over. Any one have any suggestions....... btw, I am 29
Slicer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:57 am  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

Ah, memories. Wearing them out of the store, walking to the car by drifting from one foot to the next (and always keeping one toe on the ground), going into my kitchen and stumbling after just a few feet, swearing up a storm, managing to balance for a few feet and then going around the block once and falling square on my ass...

There is no substitute for practice. Understand that these shoes are going to take their toll on you in pain, and possibly scars, before you master them. You've probably seen the "How to Heel" video on www.heelys.com . It's nowhere near as easy as they pretend it is.. at least not for adults. (I just turned 25 a month ago.)

What style?

jthorpefl
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I know that practice is the best, but afraid to crack open my skull, Shocked Is there any suggestions on balancing?? And how can you tell which is your strongest leg?? I have also seen the video on how to Heely....... and it is harder than they make it seem.

BTW..... I have the Vapor (black/charcoal/lt gray style #: 7135)
Slicer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:49 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

If you're that worried, they make these things called "helmets" which let you break your neck instead.

The only way to find out which is your strongest leg is the hard way. I know a kid who's right handed, but Heels left foot first. I'm right handed and I heel right foot first. It all depends on how you balance. The only suggestion I can make is hold on to something at first, like a kitchen countertop. Try to heel for three feet. Then four, then five, then maybe in a store when you're holding onto a grocery cart. That's how I learned, anyway.

jthorpefl
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

I just spent around 20 mins trying to Heely by my car, as I have a slight sloped driveway....... let's just say I have a little less skin on my right elbow...... I did see very little improvement. I do notice that I am wanting to keep the back foot down..... don't know if that is just instinct to keep me from sliding and if it is, how to counter act that...... I was using my right foot in front, and I am right handed, don't know if I should have my left foot in front. I also noticed sometimes my feet seem to want to go in another direction than forward. I also feel that if I am more in an upright position that I feel like i am going to fall backwards. How did you use the grocery - shopping cart to help you learn???

Any other suggestions is greatly appreciated.......... I'm not giving up.......
Slicer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:39 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

Ooh, the right elbow! I've taken hits there. Got a nice big wrist scar too, and sprained my left ankle trying to grind a rail, and eaten it on the knees a few times, and hit my palms more times than I care to count... it's part of the price, really. Call it the blood tax.

The back-foot-down business is, in fact, your body trying to stop you from sliding. I remember doing that. There's only one way to stop this reflex and that's- you guessed it!- practice. Also you're probably not used to holding your feet up and keeping your weight on your heels. Same way with your feet going in different directions- your body is just not used to this. Like I said, it's a lot easier for kids.

I simply used the grocery shopping cart to hold myself up. It's easy to bump your shins doing that, though, and just as easy to embarrass yourself in public.

One of the key things to remember is don't lean! You ought to be standing up with one foot in front of the other, with your toes pointed upwards a bit. Yes, standing up while you roll, not leaning, not even moving much. The wheels are moving; you're still. Your muscles are going to feel very weird when you do it properly for a while, partially because your knees are going to be locked in position tightly- it might take weeks to stop doing that.

When it starts feeling weird when you're not wearing them, that's how you know you're getting the hang of it. (And this, too, shall pass.)

jthorpefl
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:05 pm  Reply with quote

Just went to my local supermarket (yes, the one that I am employeed at for one of my two jobs at the current time) purposly for two reasons Surprised one was to get some band-aids for my elbow and two, to use a shopping cart....... Laughing and some success...... Very Happy even though I am wanting to lean forward, and when I go to stand straight, it feels like I am wanting to tip back. However, I am getting more comfortable rolling....... I only almost tripped maybe 2 to 3 times, kind of makes me want to loiter...... I mean shop more at Wal-Mart and my local supermarkets. I used my left foot in front, and that seemed to go pretty well, tried it once with my right foot, and not so well. Just had a small problem with my feet wanting to come together (side by side).

Now, just have to work more on balance, I wonder if standing in a doorway and lifting my toes like I'm Heelying would help with my balance as I really don't have too much counter space to use that. Also, is there anything I can do while wearing regular shoes (like while I am at work) that may help me with my balance with the Heely's?? Mainly because, the more that I find my self in the upright position, the more it feels like I am going to tip backward.

Thanks for the help and tips Slicer.
Inuyasha_HeelyGirl11
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:49 pm  Reply with quote

Does anyone know if its easier with the atomic heelys?

Slicer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:15 am  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

Wearing regular shoes and pretending you're on Heelys never helps. Standing in a doorway isn't likely to do much either.

You might want to keep your legs farther apart for a wider balance area. The reason you keep leaning forwards is because your body thinks your heels are suddenly sliding on ice and it wants to counteract that. You have to teach it to remember to trust the fact that your wheels are what you're standing on, and that you are in fact moving forwards while standing up.

Atomics and Vapors are pretty similar, so the learning curve probably won't be different at all.

jthorpefl
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:41 am  Reply with quote

I didn't know if there was anything I could do at work, where I can get more use to balancing on my heels of my feet...... that is why I asked that question, not trying to pretend that the shoes I am wearing are Heely's. I think my issues are more on the balancing which I am sure is a major part of the whole process........ How far apart do you suggest that I keep my legs apart???

Thanks for the help.....
Slicer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:46 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

The whole balance-on-your-heels business is too different. It doesn't work. The act of wheel-balancing is just not comparable to standing on your heels.

Keep your legs as far apart as is comfortable. I've been at this too long so I can shove one foot right behind the other (even kick the front foot with the back), or spread them apart as far as they'll go, and keep going either way. Pick whatever stance keeps you going the longest.

Get back on your driveway for two hours and refuse to admit defeat.

jthorpefl
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:19 pm  Reply with quote

Just spent about 1 1/2 hours at Wally World....... lol....... Laughing and I have to say some good improvement....... a good part of the time that I was there I was Heelying Smile ......... starting to get the hang of it Very Happy , not a 100% comfortable though, I would say about 30 to maybe 40% comfortable. I'll just have to practice more using the cart method......... and then start weening myself off the cart.......... Laughing How long did it take you to ween yourself off the cart??? Well at least it is a start........ Very Happy Very Happy
cereal187
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

Hey man hows it going? Are you staying with it? When I got started I had a pool table in the back yard on cement and I did laps around that for about an hour before I started with my little glides

now, a couple weeks later, I can beat my nine year old in a race down the side walk.

Thats really wierd about the right elbow. I only had one fall but I hit mine heely hard and had an AWESOME goose-egg for a couple hours, now I have this lovely yellowish bruise. Looks like the flesh-eating virus.
merlyn_DHC
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:49 am  Reply with quote
Team Heelys - Northeast

Little known fact -

It took me two/three days before I could even go forward. So don't worry. If you stick with it, you'll get it.

A shopping cart is the classic aid. That works out well for a lot of people. Just roll and let go for a second or two at a time.

Also, don't go downhill. Stick to flat ground for now.

Plant-Step-Roll - always good to learn the basics.

Um .. what else.

Oh - important. Are you falling forwards, or backwards? if you're falling forwards, you may be lifting your front foot too high (common newbie mistake).

If you're falling backward, concentrate on not letting your back foot creep up to your lead foot (also common newbie mistake). Keep a classic "V" position. Falling backwards is worse than falling forward.

On safety - salomon gel sliders - look them up (if you can find them). Low profile, like you're not wearing anything at all (don't get all excited). Seriously, they're much better than wrist-guards (which I hate).

Good luck!
MDHZ

[Wed 7:53] Slicer: *looks at Merlyn's finger frenzy score*
[Wed 7:53] Slicer: *face screws up in a combination of amazement and a sort of horror*

[Fri 12:06] IVI4V3R1CK: hey Merlyn, if you don't mind me asking, whys your name yellow?
[Fri 12:07] merlyn_DHC: Because I'm Chinese
[Fri 12:08] merlyn_DHC: (isn't that obvious) ?
[Fri 12:08] IVI4V3R1CK: o.o... thats kinda wrong
[Fri 12:08] merlyn_DHC: HAHAHA

David: Hey RU there ?
H33LYcRaZeD: yeah
David: How things ?
H33LYcRaZeD: thongs arte good

Big Mac: to go to camp quality to give lessons and give away hoes
heelingforlyfe™
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:27 pm  Reply with quote
Team Heelys - SoCal

Slicer wrote:
Ah, memories. Wearing them out of the store, walking to the car by drifting from one foot to the next (and always keeping one toe on the ground), going into my kitchen and stumbling after just a few feet, swearing up a storm, managing to balance for a few feet and then going around the block once and falling square on my ass...

That was me too, lol. Except "Santa" brought them for me and my sister. I remember getting ticked off when I couldnt do it. The first time I really did it, though, I slammed into our oven. =/

seth1230™: we be on our hoes all day.
seth1230™: i mean shoes.
DeezUU: I keep my shoes in check on the daily
DeezUU: gotta keep your gimphand strong!!

seth1230™: im on a boat and
HannahHeelz: it's going fast and
heelingforlyfe™: i've got a nautical themed, pashmina afghan

SEBASS IZ MAH BESFRANNNN.