Heelychat Forum Index
<  General  ~  Introduction and question
Kakama
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

Sup everyone. Our name's Kakama, and we're a regular Heelys user. Had a pair in high school until they wore out, then halfway through college realized I could just buy whatever shoes I wanted so I google'd up adultheelys and have some low-profile ones with FATS wheels (just got a new set of wheels from the Heelys site that glow in the dark, how sick!). They're my only pair of shoes; I'm sure I have some tennis shoes somewhere but I see no point in wearing them, I feel like a cripple on a smooth surface without Heelys. They're just efficient and I wish they caught on more; this is a transportation revolution that could be happening if people got out of the "they're for little kids" mentality.

I'm not really good with tricks or anything, I can spin around and go backwards and what have you, but none of this crazy half pipe stuff people here seem to do. Primarily it's just skate skate skate to get around, and my job involves places like airports a lot so they're super useful there. Surprisingly, airport security has never yelled at me; they usually seem pretty amused.

So anyways, in addition to this hello, I've got a question- do you guys think it would be possible to have a cobbler of some kind make a custom pair of Heelys? Specifically, I need dress shoes when I travel. I don't want to take two pairs of shoes with me, and I need shoes that look professional/I can take the wheel out if I'm at a client, but pop them back in as soon as work's over. I can buy wheels from the company and bring in my shoes as an example, then just find a comfortable pair of professional looking shoes to get hollowed out. It might require the disassembly of a pair of Heelys to use the actual wheel socket, I'm not sure. Heard of anyone doing this before?

No lie, the expression of confusion some people have when you zip past them wearing a suit is priceless.
Slicer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:14 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

Kakama wrote:
Sup everyone. Our name's Kakama, and we're a regular Heelys user.

Mouse in your pocket? Smile

Quote:
They're my only pair of shoes

Hah, same. Except for stuff I wear in the snow.

Quote:
So anyways, in addition to this hello, I've got a question- do you guys think it would be possible to have a cobbler of some kind make a custom pair of Heelys?

Probably not.

Here's the thing. The bottom of the shoe must be made to high tolerances, to take the abuse of wheel landings, turns, etc. Especially the wheel bracket itself, which is made of very specific materials. And the bottom has to have a solid attachment to the upper portion of the shoe.

Basically, unless your cobbler is working with some high-caliber stuff, he's not gonna be able to pull this off right- it'll fall apart the first time you put force on it. Sure, you're not taking these on a half-pipe, but one day you'll put your foot in a certain way.. and the shoe just won't support it. Embarrassment or injury will surely ensue.

Fleets look kinda-sorta like dress shoes, so maybe if you found a new pair of those..?