Heelychat Forum Index
<  Off-Topic  ~  my musical journey // section leader application
ConnorHeelz
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:21 pm  Reply with quote
Heelys Brand Rep

Today is November 6th 2010, It’s 6:31 and I am currently sitting in the lighting booth with my Macbook Pro waiting for Romeo and Juliet to begin. There is nothing I would like to be doing more than this then to be at the playoff game right now. After attending every game this season, It is really hard to know most of my friends are at the game… and I will not be attending the last game of the season. It is hard to believe my marching seasons are ½ way gone, It honestly feels like I just endured my first day of freshmen band camp just yesterday. Now, sitting here, I realize where I want to stand next year in band. Since there will not be any seniors (that I am currently aware of, as I believe Mike LASTNAME said he was planning to switch to percussion and David LASTNAME will be running Cross Country), I feel it is my duty, as a junior, to be squad (or section) leader.
Music has always been a part of my life, having been drumming on kits in my dad’s recording studio in my basement since I was 4, it’s really hard to remember a time where everything I did didn’t involve music or beats in some way. Whether I am walking down the hallway, designing a website, eating, whatever, there are probably headphones on my ears. As 4th graders, students were introduced to all of the orchestra instruments. Having already been a guitar player, I knew I was ready to begin learning another instrument. I then began thinking about all the fun I could have with this, but soon realized the orchestra was not the place to enhance my musical journey. When 5th grade rolled around, it was time, time for me to join the band. In fact, I remember the exact day when I got up early for school, picked up my dented plastic clarinet, and waited for the MIDDLESCHOOLNAMEHERE bus to pick me up from my neighbor’s house. I got to the Middle School, where I then waited for another bus which would take me to JUNIORHIGH School. When I finally arrived at school, Mrs. Miller showed us how to assemble our clarinets and make a sound. It couldn’t have even been 10 minutes before I realized how much I love band. I had a truly amazing year in band that year, and to be honest, don’t know where I would stand musically right now if 5th grade band wasn’t such a success for me.
Now, 6 years later, I have had such a long musical journey. It all started with guitar as a hobby, leading to clarinet, then alto saxophone, baritone saxophone, and finally tenor saxophone. I have loved each instrument equally, and through all of this, have become more serious with each of them. You can bet that every day during 5th period Honors English II, Emily Fischer is staring at the clock waiting for the bell to ring so she can go to band. I feel this qualifies me for a position to squad/section leader because I am one of the few people who puts everything I can into band. I also have qualities that many people don’t, ranging from my integrity, dedication, intelligence, creativity, openness, and my sense of humor. If one of my “squadlings” told me something… they would be able to trust that I would be fair to them and they wouldn’t need to worry about me breaking their trust… I feel this is important because nobody wants a peer that they can’t trust. Actually, freshman year my squad (Amber LASTNAME and Bethany LASTNAME) gave me the nickname “Trusty Saxy Frosh”… because they knew they could text me call times, tell me things about their personal life, etc without having to worry…. they bought me a hat with my nickname on it as a gift. I also believe becoming friends with your squad is important, too, and have become such good friends with Amber that this spring she is going to be my confirmation sponsor this spring. You spend hours with these people, in weather ranging from 90-30 degrees, so it only seems right to be friendly to each other. As for dedication, I would estimate that about >90% of the band doesn’t take their instrument home weekly to practice, 20% of band students would say that they have missed a band rehearsal for a sports conflict, and 85% of students have been late to their seats or attendance spots during warm ups. These are things that, honestly, I do not believe I am a part of…especially because I have 2 saxophones and keep one at home and the other at school, I don’t even play sports to begin with, and I usually arrive to band 15-20 minutes early.
As a plan for spirit week during band camp… I plan to make colored section shirts with the tenors saying something like… “Contrary to popular belief, without tenor saxes life would Bb”, dress the tenor sax section up as a gigantic game of Pacman for character day, and bring in candy & stickers for when my squad/section demonstrate proper 90• chair steps, successfully scatter, learn their music, etc. And, if the gigantic game of Pacman didn’t show you my creative side… I also create graphics and websites in my spare time… and am a YouTube partner on a channel where I can be found talking about technology and another playing my saxophone. I also live my life very care free and open. I try to make the best decisions for myself… however if I make a mistake I will be the first person to admit so… I’m a fair person and I understand that nobody is perfect and mistakes happen.
Again, I really can’t stress that is WANT SUCCESS FOR THIS BAND! I love band! I will put in extra time and effort holding sectionals to make sure people know their music, and be patient in doing so… because I know everyone learns at different speeds. I participate in as many music programs offered at our school that I am able to, and often spend study hall practicing or helping in the band room. I truly feel like I am the most dedicated tenor, if I didn’t think that was true I wouldn’t be writing it. Also, if I didn’t want to succeed musically, I wouldn’t be going to college (and have known so since I was 10 or 11) for Music Production. I live my life with two quotes “All of your dreams can come true, if you have the courage to pursue them” –Walter E. Disney and “Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn’t matter to me … Going to bed at night saying we’ve done something wonderful… that’s what matters to me.” –Steve Jobs, Apple CEO. Music is my dream, and has been for years, and I would never seek money, my passion is enough. So, obviously, I love music, but the question still remains… would I make a quality section/squad leader for the 2011-2012 Marching Bees? Is writing about what I plan to do even remotely relevant to marching band? The answer is yes, remotely, but at the same time we must realize that it is not what one says that qualifies them as an excellent leader, it’s about their actions and attitude they show everyday towards their work.

***REQUIRED THINGS BELOW, THESE WILL PROBABLY BE CHANGED ONCE ESSAY REQUIREMENTS COME IN ***

- The job of a squad leader is to not only help “squadlings” with drill, music, etc., but to be a friend to them when needed.

- I want to be a squad leader because I’m going to be working with music as a career, I’m well qualified for the job, and enjoy working with others.
Some goals I have for my section are to learn the music correctly, I know sometimes people know most of the song but not the entire thing and just march without flip folder anyway. I would also hope my section would be serious towards band, as many times when learning drill people talk a lot instead of focusing on drill. Lastly, I would get them to enjoy marching band by generally being a role model who is fun and good for them to look up to.

Previous leadership includes:
-Bronze and Silver Awards in Girl Scouts: 2005 - Present
(Working towards Gold Award [Girl Scout equivalent to Eagle Scout])
-HUDDLE: 2007-2008
- Ohio Model United Nations 2007-2009
- Girl Scout Leadership Award: 2008(?)
-Respect: 2009-Present
Musical Experience:
Concert Band: 2005-Present
-Clarinet, Alto Saxophone, & Tenor Saxophone
-Section Leader Crimson 2010-2011
Guitar at MYCITYHERE Music: July 2007-September 2010
Jazz Ensemble: 2008-2009
-Baritone Saxophone
Marching Band: 2009-Present
-“Most Spirited” Superlative 2009-2010
Pep Band: 2009-Present
Indoor Drumline: 2009-Present
Saxophone at MYCITYHERE Music: December 2010 - Present

is this good? what could i improve? also, PM me if i forgot to take something out that could danger my safety please. you all know my last name, so i kept that. but anything else PM me.

2-2-07/Razzles)(4-13-07/Evolutions)(10-9-07/Clutches)
PEAR MEMBER: Pickle, Emily, Arly, Rawn-Tawn. REPRESENT!
i gots me .43723e=mc238034 ghetto points
wiz
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:22 am  Reply with quote
Wiz-Meister

I think it looks pretty good! You guys have to write papers to be a section leader? For us it's just who plays the music best and who the director would be best.
ConnorHeelz
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:50 am  Reply with quote
Heelys Brand Rep

well for marching band all the squad leaders need to write them, and he just kind of picks the section leader out of all the squad leaders. but ik ill get it just because im the best tenor sax.

im goin outside
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:04 pm  Reply with quote

holy shit thats for marching band, how many people are in the band.

god that seems like overkill, unless you REALLLLLLY want it, or if you are one of thoes crazy bands with 250+ members. Then that makes sense.
ConnorHeelz
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:55 pm  Reply with quote
Heelys Brand Rep

im goin outside wrote:
holy shit thats for marching band, how many people are in the band.

god that seems like overkill, unless you REALLLLLLY want it, or if you are one of thoes crazy bands with 250+ members. Then that makes sense.

REALLY want it, and theres 305 of us in marching band (plus flaglne). Razz

im goin outside
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:51 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="EmmaHeelz"][quote="im goin outside"]holy shit thats for marching band, how many people are in the band.

god that seems like overkill, unless you REALLLLLLY want it, or if you are one of thoes crazy bands with 250+ members. Then that makes sense.[/quote]
REALLY want it, and theres 305 of us in marching band (plus flaglne). Razz[/quote]

oh...your one of THOES bands...305, thats the band where if you miss a practice you are instantly kicked off and the next person in the line of 200 get in.

god 305 thats not even fun. WAAAAAY to serious.
ConnorHeelz
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:59 pm  Reply with quote
Heelys Brand Rep

In a band of 300 (302?) I got picked! yayaya
necro.

wiz
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:26 pm  Reply with quote
Wiz-Meister

Sweet Very Happy band camp starts in 2 weeks here!
ConnorHeelz
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:17 am  Reply with quote
Heelys Brand Rep

For us it starts August 8th for Leaders, 9th for leaders and new people, and the 10th for everyone else.