Heelychat Forum Index
<  Off-Topic  ~  We finally gave up....
wondercheese
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:08 am  Reply with quote

Deez I'm looking to get into Derby, how do you guys like your skates? I was eyeing the volts as a possible entry-level skate. Our rink doesn't ahve rentals and I'm rocking an ancient pair of artistic skates (very uncomfortable for derby moves). I don't have much $$$ being a grad student. I was wondering how the volts were holding up for Lo.

Thanks!

WC

Thu 21:53] wondercheese: we weren't trying to cause damage, and we DID pay for the broken lotion!
DeezUU
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:24 pm  Reply with quote

I'd skip the Volts if you plan on putting any time into skating. We got Lo the Volts because 1, his feet are growing daily! and 2, they fit the bill for beginner skates (slow, flexible, comfy) but they look like speed skates. His next pair will be custom built but we didn't want to drop that kind of change on something that may be a flavor of the week so if he sticks with it.... good stuff on his next pair. A good bet is to visit a create-a-skate shop (like Connie's Skate Place) and either see what's available as a full setup or build from scratch. Nylon plates won't do the trick, either. We get the Carrera package skates w/ SureGrip Probe nylon plates, but plan on stepping up to metal plates when we get more confident but for derby... nylon won't last long (so I'm told). I don't want to cross post another forum from here... but if you're serious about derby, there really is only 1 skate forum that covers everything and you'll surely find it if you look hard enough. They have full rec's on what equipment to buy and where to go.

CLIF'S....

Buy real leather boots
Buy metal plates
Use teh Googlez

wondercheese
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:03 am  Reply with quote

thanks! I'll check it out!

Thu 21:53] wondercheese: we weren't trying to cause damage, and we DID pay for the broken lotion!
DeezUU
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

We're all gettin pretty smooth on the quads and having a blast. I'm throwing down rolling 180s now, the wife is finally getting crossed over, and Lo... he's a little speed freak!

And on the other front... Evan got into the same gifted school Logan is in and we are all STOKED to say the least. My 2 little brainiacs are KILLIN IT at school!! Lo is honor-roll at the ODC center and Ev is principals list in his gifted inclusions at the pub school. I had better start doubling up on the college funds!! Lol.