Heelychat Forum Index
<  Tips Tricks & Techniques  ~  help on my backwards?
kahiko
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:32 am  Reply with quote

Hey guys im kinda new here.. i got my heelys few days ago, I can heel forward and switch but its really hard to do the backwards.. can anyone help me? tips? i keep stopping and my feet keep going in different directions..
abacus1983
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

same prob as me mate i find that just keep trying and use a fence or somet to steady yourself, ur brain tends to get confused so just keep trying

sara48
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:24 am  Reply with quote

I think it's easiest if you go forwards slowly towards a wall, then push yourself backwards off of it. That way your feet are already in the correct position. If you hold them still in the same position as when you were going forwards, you should go straight backwards rather than your feet going in different directions Smile It just takes a bit of practice and you should have it in no time!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kahiko
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:05 pm  Reply with quote

I can do it now Smile I can move backwards, trying to practice 180 but i sorta stop when i turn.. But still working on ti Smile I also ordered my heelys pro series online with mega wheels..

Just a question - which is better mega or fats?
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:27 am  Reply with quote

That's a matter of debate. Mega's are generally accepted to be better for skating vert (ramps and halfpipes etc) but fats being more "low profile" are sometimes considered better for stealth - i.e., it's harder to tell you have wheels in. Personally I prefer mega's. Smile

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"
kahiko
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:53 am  Reply with quote

Very Happy I have another question Smile Im trying to practice 180, just a thought, If my lead foot is the right foot do I turn right aswell? I kinda got used to turning on my leftside and its hard for me to turn right now Sad
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:54 am  Reply with quote

Yeah from the vids I've seen it looked like most people turn right if they lead with the right - I learned to turn left leading with left first, then I learned to turn right leading with the right. I did see one video where a guy could do the opposite (i.e., turn left whilst leading with his right) but it looked like it was making it hard work. So yeah if you're just starting with the 180s turn right if you lead right and vice versa. If you find yourself heeling lefty and want to 180 to the right, just switch.

Hope this helps.

kahiko
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:21 am  Reply with quote

THANKS very much for the help Smile I really do appreciate it alot! I can do the 180 now and a bit of 360 but my 360 is still in the practicing mode Very Happy
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

No problem. Smile

And yeah - my 360's never been as smooth as it could be either - it's more like a 180 then a revert, rather than one fluid spin - My main goal when I started heeling was to get good enough to do the footy/manual well, and to skate all my tricks equally with both legs, which I managed eventually, but I musta neglected 360s a little. Smile

kahiko
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:42 pm  Reply with quote

I cant do revert Sad im still practicng it though Very Happy not giving up haha Very Happy since I started last week, I never fall or hurt myself, so I still dont know what it feels like haha Very Happy and Im kinda scared of the feeling of falling on my back Sad
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:45 am  Reply with quote

Yeah, falling on the back is worst since it's harder to stop yourself with hands. Landing on your butt is better than back since you don't crack your head, but still not as nice as falling forwards, if that makes sense LOL. Laughing

When I learned revert, I found it helped if I do this: Heel backwards looking over whichever shoulder is at the back (for example, if you're heeling backwards with your left leg behind you, then look over your left shoulder as you skate). This way your head is already pointing the right way for after the revert, plus you can see where you're going. Smile

Then leaned forwards very slightly so your weight is more over the front leg (which will soon be behind when you're going forwards), bending that front knee very slightly so that you are a little bit crouched, then as you spring back up to fully upright you flip your hips round so fast that your wheels don't spend any time trying to go sideways, and you just keep on going forwards.... it's almost like a little jump, from heeling backwards to heeling forwards, but you don't have to jump. Smile

Of course, using this method, you can only flip round in the direction you are looking (unless you have a neck like an owl Very Happy ). There are, of course, other ways to revert, but I found this one simplest. Smile

Hope that helps. Wink

kahiko
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:50 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the help Smile I can do revert now and 360 yippeee Very Happy Still working on my crabwalk and footy.. But not falling since i began heelying i think im doing good so far Very Happy Im taking every trick step by step and slowly as I can to prevent any injuries haha Very Happy neways I wanna byt a heelys toxic torch.. but cant find anything online Sad do you know someone who sells a size 5 ?
wondercheese
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:06 pm  Reply with quote

I find falling backward less scary. I KNOW how to fall backward (karate is great for that) but falling forward is harder to do without hurting yourself. If you fall wrong backward, you will break a wrist or an arm though. NEVER land you your hands!!!!

Thu 21:53] wondercheese: we weren't trying to cause damage, and we DID pay for the broken lotion!
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:43 am  Reply with quote

Hmm, Interesting. Maybe everyone is different then when it comes to falling. Smile

subversed
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:54 am  Reply with quote

i have a couple shopping carts people have left at my work- i plan on screwing around with it quite a bit with my heelys.

shopping carts plus heelys make walmart very very fun.

pushing the shopping cart backwards has let me get pretty good at breakneck turns