Heelychat Forum Index
<  Off-Topic  ~  FFXIII is FFIII in Soviet Russia.
Slicer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:56 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

(Note: I'm talking about the NES game recently re-released for the DS. If you think FFIII is the one with Terra, Edgar, Locke, and Sabin, what rock have you been living under?)

Trying to avoid spoilers here- anyone who's played both games will quickly get the point.

In FFIII, you are the heroes blessed by the crystal to save the world.
In FFXIII, the opposite is true.

In FFIII, everyone loves you, and there are lots of towns with friendly people.
In FFXIII, no.

In FFIII, there's a big open world but your actions are guided by Destiny™.
In FFXIII, the open world part is kind of expansive but most of the game is linear as fuck, and your characters run through this linear dungeon presumably guided by their own choices.

In FFIII, everything you do contributes to your final success.
In FFXIII, there's parts where the characters run around doing ineffective or counterproductive shit.

In FFIII, you can change jobs, but leveling them up takes time, and there's some extra penalties for a while when you switch.
In FFXIII, changing jobs *mid-battle* is the only way to win.

In FFIII, you micromanage your characters' actions in a turn-based system.
In FFXIII, you seldom govern specific actions at all. Job changes, targeting, and the occasional key ability at the right time are your main influences on battle. Everything else is AI-driven (and the AI is actually *smart*).

In FFIII, the graphics are simple.
In FFXIII, HOLY FUCK.

In FFIII, the characters are simple.
In FFXIII, they actually hired a writer for this. A real one. Probably several real ones.

Last edited by Slicer on Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

wiz
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:13 pm  Reply with quote
Wiz-Meister

Apparently you haven't seen Gran Pulse. Amazing open world, with a big difficulty spike. Chapter 11

And again, the graphics- HOLY ****!
Slicer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:46 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

Yeah, I beat the game.

Noticed the massive difficulty spike when fighting loose monsters on Pulse. It was so bad that I got all the way to the tower, found enemies I REALLY couldn't defeat (got my ass handed to me on the second big-stone-guardian mission), then ran *all the way back* to fight some earlier enemies and do some missions. Really glad I did.

And Pulse is pretty big, it's just that it's the *only* part of the game like this. There's one big open area, and a few really optional branching parts, and that's the only optional/non-linear stuff in the game, with a handful of minor exceptions. There's probably some of Pulse I haven't explored yet, and some extra missions, and I'm sure there's a way to fight that HUGE MASSIVE COLOSSUS thing that's lurking in the background...

You CAN go back to Pulse after you've beaten the game- it warps you to before the final boss, and there's portals you can go through. Your Crystarium expands for the post-game, too.

Hint for new players: Take the time to look around. Follow every path, there's not that many of them. And when you go back to Cocoon, LOOK OUT THE WINDOW.

And I'll just admit it. I want to run around and explore *all* the areas I've seen, some of the cities, the Whitewood, and the crystal sea. I know it's probably not possible with these kind of graphics, but... Oh, wait, what's that? I can has FFXIV beta?

I don't want to lose myself in an MMORPG- I thought I swore them off forever- but if FFXIV is anything like this, I know where I'll be.

wiz
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:02 pm  Reply with quote
Wiz-Meister

I'm on Chapter 7 (Palompolum) after about 12 hours. My friend is on Gran Pulse.

And are you saying you got accepted into the beta for XIV?

Spoilers!
Edit: And i about cried about what happened between Hope and Snow! This game has a touching storyline. Never thought i'd feel sorry for someone in a game.
Slicer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:33 am  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

wiz13 wrote:
And are you saying you got accepted into the beta for XIV?

No. About to go try. Didn't even know XIV existed until I bought this.

However, that code you got in... oh, wait, Xbox version. Dunno if you got it or not, but PS3 buyers got a Square-Enix code for an in-game item in XIV.

wiz
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:32 am  Reply with quote
Wiz-Meister

I got Acode, not sure if it's for XIV or not. think it's just for points on their website.

I remember when i got the newsletter inviting me to sign up for XIV beta 2 months ago. Hope you can still sign up. my computer isn't strong enough for it
Slicer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:07 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

Just signed up now. Three registrations and two codes, god damn. One registration for Square-Enix, the other for their "members area", put in the first code, get another code from use of the first code, and then that code goes in the registration for the beta itself. Oh and if I do get in I'm not allowed to talk about it, lolfidentiality.

My computer probably isn't good enough for it either, but that's what the PS3 beta is for Very Happy

wiz
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:51 pm  Reply with quote
Wiz-Meister

but of course you can talk about it here! Very Happy
Slicer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:02 am  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

Okay, Gran Pulse is about twice as big as I thought it was.

There are hidden areas, and hidden areas past those hidden areas. I'm still scratching my head wondering where the hell I'm going to find the gil to buy a Trapezohedron (upgrade item, need to do a mission just to unlock the store to buy it). Chocobo digs give big money if you get lucky, but I don't think that'll be enough...

And then there's a certain set of challenges (don't want to spoil it) where some of the enemies are many times more dangerous than the final boss.