Heelychat Forum Index
<  Off-Topic  ~  Whatever you do, don't see Avatar
Slicer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:54 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

Massive waste of money and CGI.

That's three hours and eight bucks I'll never get back.

I almost threw up in my mouth watching this garbage. Why I didn't walk out thirty minutes in, I'll never know. I have only four words for the plot: NUKE 'EM FROM ORBIT.

wiz
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:58 pm  Reply with quote
Wiz-Meister

I'e been waiting for so long and you say not to see it!?! what do u have against it i was gonna see it in Floriidaa or maybe before then
Slicer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:08 am  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

You really want to see it for the special effects and CGI? Go ahead. Just don't ask questions about why anything is happening or why any of the major plot elements are the way they are. Just pretend everything that happens is a completely disconnected series of events. Pretend the plot is something else entirely if you want. Go Mystery Science Theater 3000 on it in your head.

Three hundred million dollars (THREE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS?!) went into making this rotten turkey, and they couldn't hire ONE actual writer? Seriously, this thing is in bad-fanfic territory. The plot of Transformers and its sequel were better, no joke.

wiz
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:26 am  Reply with quote
Wiz-Meister

What made me want to see it is to see how amazing the planet looks and the final battle.

O, and btw, nice profile pic
seth1230
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:08 pm  Reply with quote
Heelys Encyclopedia

Slice, the title is wrong. It's suppose to say, "Whatever you do, do watch avatar". I thought it was really good. Beat harry potter and lotr by alot. Acting was good, and effects were nice. The plot was creative as hell too.

H4L&&&&BiGMaC BE MAH BFFLEZ
wiz
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:19 pm  Reply with quote
Wiz-Meister

Heelychat is being torn into Avatar lovers and Avatar haters!!! and im seeing it nomatter what u say!!
seth1230
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:40 pm  Reply with quote
Heelys Encyclopedia

I'm not an avatar lover or hater, i just thought the movie was good and i don't try to shove my opinions down peoples throat.

wiz
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:53 pm  Reply with quote
Wiz-Meister

lol i know and ok
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't seen it yet but I've seen a lot of other films lately and so been subjected to the trailer a few times... even that made me think it didn't look worth seeing, but I guess I could have been wrong...

I'll trust slicer's judgement on this one tho and save my money for now unless a lot of friends tell me it's worth seeing.

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"
wiz
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:10 pm  Reply with quote
Wiz-Meister

Well, I didn't see it in IMAX (remembered getting sick last time...) but the movie was amazing. One of the best i've seen in a long time. I would go see it again
Slicer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:59 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

Yeah, I bet you guys are wondering just what I have against it about now.

So, in the spirit of the Evil Overlord's Guide, I'm going to only list a tiny fraction of the problems with this barely-coherent, cliche-riddled movie and make them at least mildly amusing.

(Spoilers, obviously.)

If a member of my science team dies and his crippled-but-fixable twin brother is the only possible replacement, I will have the brother sign a contract to our service and fix him before he is shipped out. It makes better PR, keeps morale higher, and nobody has to deal with a guy in a fucking wheelchair trying to get around the place.

I will not have excessive Starcraft players design my military structure nor my weapons. I understand that there are limits to mass in space travel. However, if I can bring enormous walking battle-suits and huge bulldozers, I can bring long-range artillery.

If I am not dedicated to the cause of evil, I will not have a psychopathic lunatic, however battle-hardened, as my chief military officer.

If, however, I am running a truly evil organization, members of my science/psy-ops team will be screened for such annoying qualities as "mercy" and "ethics" long in advance.

If I am willing to wage a war of extermination, I will prepare for this in advance. If my science team knows how to clone them in vats, they should also know their biological weaknesses and design contagious, infective agents. Smallpox- it's what's for dinner!

Prisoners will not be guarded by one guy in an insecure room.

Hangars will be guarded such that my battle-scarred commander does not have to hold his breath and start shooting at them himself. Similarly, because my base obviously needs air defenses against the local fauna, I will use those air defenses to shoot down escaping prisoners.

In any case, if two thousand technology-lacking natives that I can track from orbit are a mortal threat to hundreds of my modern-armed men, I will hang my head in disgust and cry, pondering where my life went wrong.

If I can track them from orbit but local interference prevents tracking them locally, I will feed the orbital data I have on them to the units on the ground.

If I forgot to bring tanks, but have brought lots of large tele-operated bulldozers capable of easily smashing through trees, and have committed myself to a frontal assault, I will incorporate the bulldozers in my front line.

I will give my regular foot soldiers weapons that are capable of penetrating the armored hide of local fauna, particularly if the foot soldier in question is wearing the body of something stronger than our species.

Schools that teach English to local natives will also be instructed to get as much information from the natives as they can. My entire intelligence apparatus will not hinge on one guy on a three-month vision quest.

If my top scientist tells me that the trees have connected themselves into a neural network larger than a human brain, I will believe her and thank her for her insights. Assuming I am dedicated to evil, I will convene my strategy team to use that information against it. And I will actually have a god damned strategy team.

If I have orbital capabilities, I will use them to bomb things from orbit instead of having people dump things out the back of a shuttle.

If, however, I find myself as said vision-quest guy and I need to leave my host body for extended periods of time, causing it to sleep, I will tell my alien girlfriend this well in advance.

If I find myself leading a tribe of savages who have no idea of Earth's military history against a modern-equipped army, I will teach them at least the basics of guerilla warfare and ambush, so they don't do stupid things like lead a cavalry charge against machineguns.

If, by some miracle I do win such a conflict, I will not allow the tribe to simply expel the invaders. Instead I will demand that the remaining humans be put to work developing an infrastructure capable of defending in an interplanetary war. The tribe will certainly object, but I will get them to realize that the humans are going to come back, probably with nukes.

If I have three hundred million dollars to spend on a movie, I will not pay a third-grader ten bucks to write the script.

wiz
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:00 pm  Reply with quote
Wiz-Meister

Wow, you actually look for all that stuff in a movie? lol the only thing i found wrong was how long it was. No problem with the script either. (this is my point of view.) Lol you sound like a critic
seth1230
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:43 pm  Reply with quote
Heelys Encyclopedia

Slicer is a critic. On life.

Merrie_England
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:50 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I finally decided to see what all the fuss was about and went to see it. I have to say slicer has some valid points plot-wise, such as it being a little "unrealistic" at points, but then that's true of a lot of modern films sadly, especially those which try to have "action" in them - they always tend to let reality suffer in order to have the main characters JUST escape destruction by the tiniest margin at every turn (thinking of 2012).

That said, a couple of things about the film made it something I'm glad I saw on the big screen whilst I could, like the gorgeous colors they used in the CGI of the alien world... made for a pretty breathtaking experience visually.

Personally I think films that long should have a break in the middle... I can sit still that long without having to nip out, but most people can't, so even if you sit still, every else will be getting up and coming back around you - which kinda ruins it for me, and it why I prefer the "home cinema" experience of a nice dark room and a big HD screen and a blu-ray player - so you can pause it whenever you want or need - but that's a complaint about the whole cinema experience and not about Avatar.

So yeah, on the whole it kept me entertained - I may have seen better films but I've also seen far worse. Smile

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"
Kain
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:19 am  Reply with quote

Slice, you need to stop being so left-brain XD

Yeah, the script wasn't much better than a fanfiction, but I happen to like fanfics Razz

The thing that made me love it is the way the actors portrayed an otherwise generic story. The emotions to me made me forget about how corny the story was. Maybe I'm just that type of person. Anyway, it was a great movie if you don't think about it critically lol

"Passed away in silence
The flute from the realm unseen
Empties its heart
Making love to me
With its enchanting melody.
Light of Orion,
Shadow of Andromeda,
Call of the dancing Universe.
The labyrinth I must enter
Before thou can blame my soul
With an age of peace"

"Love me for who i am, love my soul...not the body it occupies, love my heart, not the desire it hides...and love me....for what i am..."