Heelychat Forum Index
<  Off-Topic  ~  WINTER DRIVING
im goin outside
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

So here is Idaho we got out first real snow of the season around Boise (Sate capital)and surrounding suburbs, we got around 4 inches of powder. It was also the first time i got to drive my new truck in the snow. Its a 99 toyota tacoma. But the kicker is that its the small 2wd one. It weighs NOTHING!! Even with 180 pounds of sand it felt like driving a retarded bumper boat. Even so i still had many much fun sliding around. Winter driving is the best! I know some of you peeps live in some snowy places and i was wanting to hear some of your funny driving stories. Let em rip!
Slicer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:23 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

People put sandbags in their trucks to add weight for a reason, y'know.

Also, here's my driving experience for you to laugh at. Doesn't involve ice, though. (North Dakota is usually loaded with the stuff this time of year, but since I'm not afraid to just TAKE MY TIME, I don't get the slidey death.)

im goin outside
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:51 pm  Reply with quote

oh lawl. city driving. We used to live in pittsburgh GO STEELERS! and that city was such a mess of tunnles and bridges and one way curver roads. Chicago is easier to navigate then pittsburgh. good one! Laughing
wondercheese
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:18 am  Reply with quote

We used to go and deliberately spin our cars in the empty parking lot after karate when it was icy (mine doesn't really spin it's front wheel and really really good in snow). My friend could get his rear wheel drive car to spin like crazy. Seriously though, I'm a ridiculously safe snow driver. The only near death incident I had was on a back road I shouldn't have been on, but I didn't realize how icy it was when I turned onto it. There was a truck following me too closely so I was going faster than I should have been for conditions, and I misjudged the distance to the stop sign at the end. I started to spin, but managed to just slide around the corner and keep going. Only thing I should have done differently (besides not doing all the other stupid things that lead me to be there) was honk the horn when I slid though the intersection. It ends in a T and if I hadn't been quick reacting and slow to panic, i totally would have to smashed into the bank on the other side.

wondercheese
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:59 pm  Reply with quote

LOL - I love winter driving too. As soon as I hear the worrisome newscasters saying "hazardous weather conditions" and "don't go out unless you have to" I'm out looking for the worst of it, but I have to say even then with a bit of experience and common sense I've never had a serious problem due to winter weather.

I used to have a big powerful rear wheel drive car with no power steering which was heavy to park, but in winter the snow and ice became "free power steering!" Very Happy You can just sit there spinning the steering wheel with one finger when there's so little grip. Smile

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"
im goin outside
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

as of right now the tread is horribly bad on my tires so unless the truck is slowing down and acutaly turning it doesent matter how far i turn the wheel, it still moves straight. i was no joke, 2 inches from slamming into a metal fence post cuz i was going to fast for the turn and duh...the car didnt turn at all. But no power steering??lame
plasma qrenades
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

I have a rear wheel drive mercedes with some less than perfect tires...it hates the snow so much...

I have 21,300 ghetto points
[Tue 17:08] mcrochip: i've used heelys on a plane, i've used heelys on a crane. heelys roll well on a bus, heelys roll for each of us
[Sun 15:16] Slicer: she's actually fascinating, like a bug in a jar
seth1230
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:45 pm  Reply with quote
Heelys Encyclopedia

I love winter driving.

See, in florida, it doesnt snow...so its like summer driving...without having the windows down.

H4L&&&&BiGMaC BE MAH BFFLEZ