Heelychat Forum Index
<  Tips Tricks & Techniques  ~  Backwards advice
Aceb6
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

I cant seem to go backwards with out my feet either crisscrossing, colliding, or going in completly opposite directions. could someone tell me what im doing wrong if they had this problem before? i need it for soem more advanced trics for ground and ill deffinatly need it for vert.

TEAM SCU
TEAM SCU

O o \
/Ż/__________________________/
BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHH!
\_\ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ\
/
wiz
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:35 pm  Reply with quote
Wiz-Meister

I can't help you with backwards, but take your time with learning new tricks. ME doesn't learn a new trick till he's really good at old ones.
Slicer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:18 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

‮ Going backwards is easy- just keep your feet in the same position they're in going forwards.

Merrie_England
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:42 am  Reply with quote

It's true that backwards requires many of the same skills as going forwards, the problem is we often learn forwards and forget what it is we are doing to go forwards because it becomes instinct - we don't realise we are using so many other muscles and parts of our body than just our legs to make a forward glide look effortless.

I find that failing at a trick helps to learn it. All you do is each time you try to go backwards, concentrate on feeling exactly what is happening, and if you fail, you should then be able to figure out why... For me it was two things that originally stopped me from going backwards:

A) leaning too far forwards because I was afraid I would fall back and hit my head. . . this meant my toes kept going doing because my weight wasn't between my feet it was in front of them - simple laws of physics there.

B) I wasn't using my shoulders, I was keeping my upper body too rigid: believe it or not a lot of heelys tricks aren't just about your feet/legs. . . they are a LOT to do with you upper body too. . . allow your shoulders to angle to whichever side they need to to keep your weight central when going backwards, kind of like someone on a motorbike does, but obviously you only need to lean a little to correct when going straight back - the big leans are for cornering hard.

The following method is what I use to learn many new tricks:

1) Make sure you have a large enough flat practise area. If you're trying to heel close to a wall/object when learning a new trick it can subconsciously affect the way you lean, and throw you off balance. And of course if the floor isn't flat enough it will also make it harder to learn and take longer.

2) Preferably learn either in a place where you won't be distracted by other people - to learn backwards i went to a skatepark about 5am one morning and just kept trying to go backwards over the same 4 feet of flat ground till i could do it, then 5 feet, then 6 feet, and so on - took me about an hour to realise the basic method needed to go backwards on a given leg, and about a month of practise (2-3 hours a week) after that to perfect the extra backwards stuff like cornering/switching/shuffling etc.

Also helps a little for later tricks to learn backwards in the opposite stance to what you go forwards, so if you go forwards with your left foot in front, that left foot should be behind you when going backwards. . . this way the next trick up (revert) is a lot easier - you just flip round (no switching needed) and you're in your preferred forwards heeling stance. You can learn the other leg afterwards - I find it helps if I don't try to learn two new things at once. Smile

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"
theswitch3
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:23 pm  Reply with quote

try and keep your feet close together and not really for apart. keep them a bit stiff at first to stop the shaking that makes them go in different directions.

merlyn_DHC
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:47 pm  Reply with quote
Team Heelys - Northeast

It takes a while .. just keep at it.

Start by doing the "wall thing". Put something on the floor and just concentrate on going further and further (kinda like going forwards).

Took me a while to get that too.

[Wed 7:53] Slicer: *looks at Merlyn's finger frenzy score*
[Wed 7:53] Slicer: *face screws up in a combination of amazement and a sort of horror*

[Fri 12:06] IVI4V3R1CK: hey Merlyn, if you don't mind me asking, whys your name yellow?
[Fri 12:07] merlyn_DHC: Because I'm Chinese
[Fri 12:08] merlyn_DHC: (isn't that obvious) ?
[Fri 12:08] IVI4V3R1CK: o.o... thats kinda wrong
[Fri 12:08] merlyn_DHC: HAHAHA

David: Hey RU there ?
H33LYcRaZeD: yeah
David: How things ?
H33LYcRaZeD: thongs arte good

Big Mac: to go to camp quality to give lessons and give away hoes
wiz
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:08 pm  Reply with quote
Wiz-Meister

that's what i did to learn going backwards, ad what i told him to try Laughing .
im goin outside
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

After about 15 ft i really cant controll where im going though. I kinda just drift until i hit somthing... but going backwards is really fun, especially when it goes right.