Heelychat Forum Index
<  Tips Tricks & Techniques  ~  Propulsions switch advice
wondercheese
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:10 pm  Reply with quote

Okay, so I can just barely regular switch, but the prop. switch is my big goal right now. I really really want to master it so I can lap the hallway at work (after 5pm!). I've been watching all the vids that contain the prop. switch and I see how the mechanics work, I'm just curious if there are any tips to try. Come on ME, I know you've got something for me! Kain's tutorial is good, but I need more! Next up: kick switch....

WC

Thu 21:53] wondercheese: we weren't trying to cause damage, and we DID pay for the broken lotion!
plasma qrenades
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:56 pm  Reply with quote

i can put together a tutorial on both of them later today

I have 21,300 ghetto points
[Tue 17:08] mcrochip: i've used heelys on a plane, i've used heelys on a crane. heelys roll well on a bus, heelys roll for each of us
[Sun 15:16] Slicer: she's actually fascinating, like a bug in a jar
IVI4V3R1CK
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

lol, to be honest, I hate propulsion switching... I went right from the switch to the kick switch. I get more speed with less work, and you being a biology enineer, you know efficeincy is whichever does more with less work. For me, thats the kick switch

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wondercheese
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:41 pm  Reply with quote

Sweet pq! Any vids on either would be great!

Mav, yeah, I imagine the kickswitch is more efficient, but the prospect of making it the length (or all the way around) the halls at work (the halls are essential a big rectangle with labs on the inside and offices on the outside) without putting my feet down is too much of a challenge to pass up! For that I would require prop. switch! I can reliable (and safely) switch from right forward to left forward, but switching back to right forward is a bit hairy still!

WC

Thu 21:53] wondercheese: we weren't trying to cause damage, and we DID pay for the broken lotion!
Kain
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:27 pm  Reply with quote

I don't really know how to explain it anymore than I did in my tutorial. You just have to find the right timing between switching and swinging your body side to side. Kind of like freelining or wave boarding.

"Passed away in silence
The flute from the realm unseen
Empties its heart
Making love to me
With its enchanting melody.
Light of Orion,
Shadow of Andromeda,
Call of the dancing Universe.
The labyrinth I must enter
Before thou can blame my soul
With an age of peace"

"Love me for who i am, love my soul...not the body it occupies, love my heart, not the desire it hides...and love me....for what i am..."

wondercheese
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:35 am  Reply with quote

Kain wrote:
I don't really know how to explain it anymore than I did in my tutorial. You just have to find the right timing between switching and swinging your body side to side. Kind of like freelining or wave boarding.

That's okay Kain. I'm guessing it was easy for you to learn. It's really really hard to explain things that were easy to learn, because you didn't have to break it down to learn it! It was a useful tutorial, I just need to break it down more ....

WC

Kain
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:48 am  Reply with quote

wondercheese wrote:
Kain wrote:

That's okay Kain. I'm guessing it was easy for you to learn. It's really really hard to explain things that were easy to learn, because you didn't have to break it down to learn it! It was a useful tutorial, I just need to break it down more ....

WC

oh...um........

When you switch your feet, turn in the direction your front foot is going, lean your body that way, and swing your arms that direction, and as you keep switching, use your whole body in a rhythmic motion...the thing it's most similar to is rollerblading, if you can picture that...

"Passed away in silence
The flute from the realm unseen
Empties its heart
Making love to me
With its enchanting melody.
Light of Orion,
Shadow of Andromeda,
Call of the dancing Universe.
The labyrinth I must enter
Before thou can blame my soul
With an age of peace"

"Love me for who i am, love my soul...not the body it occupies, love my heart, not the desire it hides...and love me....for what i am..."

Merrie_England
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:14 am  Reply with quote

IVI4V3R1CK wrote:
lol, to be honest, I hate propulsion switching... I went right from the switch to the kick switch. I get more speed with less work

Is kickswitch the one where you're allowed to plant your toes to push off of them with each kick? Or do you simply gain speed by really hard/rapid switches which look like you're "kicking" - I can do either but I wasn't sure which kind you mean when you say "kickswitch" ? Thanks.

wondercheese wrote:
Come on ME, I know you've got something for me!

Yeah, the thing with propulsion switch is, it's not a switch per se. It really should be called "propulsion shuffle" as part of what it involves is LOTs of smooth switches done in quick succession - so first you need to get yourself good at switching, both left to right and right to left, and at any speed (slow or fast, sometimes people find slow harder and sometimes fast) - doing the normal "shuffle" is just a lot of practise to hone your balance, but you need to be able to shuffle well to do a good propulsion switch.

Now, rememeber I said that "part" of propulsion switching is doing lots of switches together - here comes the other part: the propulsion switch has been described as like a rollerblading motion, which it sort of is - you know, a bit like you do to gain speed on inlines, but in this case of course, you have a lot less wheels. . . so although you do turn your back back foot a little sideways to "push" off of it, you're only pushing off of one wheel, and then bringing that wheel back into line so it follows the other foot and doesn't slow you down. I could go into my usual level of detail but I think in this case you just need to FEEL it. . . . You know what you need it to do (give you speed) and therefore once you're good at switching, practise it, doing all the things other people have already said (like using your upper body to lean into it etc) and "feel" which part of your switch is slowing you and which might be giving speed. It isn't easy, but if you concentrate on what you're doing your body will eventually tell you all you need to know.

But yeah, since you said you're still finding one of the kinds of switches a bit difficult, work on that for a good while yet, and then start worrying about propulsion switch Smile

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"
Redemption
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:03 pm  Reply with quote

wondercheese wrote:

from right forward to left forward, but switching back to right forward is a bit hairy still!

WC

I cant beleive nobody noticed that yet lol. Unless its some kind of wierd metaphor xD

Anyway When propoltion Switching I shift my weight from side to side depending on which switch im doing
(left foot that kind of curves to left ) , (right foot that kind of curves to the right)

I also almost fell alot of times doing this but after a while I became good at it.

Although I found a new way of gaining speed without planting my feet. I sort of do a move that is almost like fishtail but different. I shift my weight in 2 ways I shift it left and right while also shifting alot to the front. That gives me much more speed than propolsion switching does and I think close to kickswitching speed.

This is offtopic but I remmbered when I said about almost falling. It may sound wierd But I only fell about 4 times since I started Heeling 0.0

1 time I was walking with my wheel in and slipped and fell (1st day I started)

2 times I fell doing 180.

1 time I fell doing 360.

and my final 1 time is when I was at a huge sort of ramp. I went full speed from the top and stopped but my feet were close to a small ditch like hole. I lost balance and fell inside lol. I didnt get hurt or dirty or anything but just scared :p (I might upload it soon because I was recording it but unfortunately the memory got full when I fell and it didnt show me fall all the way inside It only showed me about to fall.)

And yes I do talk alot xD

And thats all the times I ever fell all the others were me ALMOST falling but not falling.

Merrie_England
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:41 am  Reply with quote

Redemption wrote:
wondercheese wrote:

from right forward to left forward, but switching back to right forward is a bit hairy still!

WC

I cant beleive nobody noticed that yet lol. Unless its some kind of wierd metaphor xD
LOL, of course we noticed it - but yes, it's an expression which simply means that it's scarey/risky.

But I'm still wondering if anyone can tell me exactly what a kickswitch is, if it simply involves planting and pushing off/switching? I looked in the tricktionary but it isn't on there.

IVI4V3R1CK
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:30 am  Reply with quote

Watch in some of the pro guys vids how the get around when they are trying to get to Point A to Point B. How they plant and shove off... Thats a kick switch

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
heelingforlyfe™
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:08 pm  Reply with quote
Team Heelys - SoCal

Merrie_England wrote:
But I'm still wondering if anyone can tell me exactly what a kickswitch is, if it simply involves planting and pushing off/switching? I looked in the tricktionary but it isn't on there.

watch merlyn's flow video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVigkabHbpU
every time he pushes off his foot is a kick switch.

seth1230™: we be on our hoes all day.
seth1230™: i mean shoes.
DeezUU: I keep my shoes in check on the daily
DeezUU: gotta keep your gimphand strong!!

seth1230™: im on a boat and
HannahHeelz: it's going fast and
heelingforlyfe™: i've got a nautical themed, pashmina afghan

SEBASS IZ MAH BESFRANNNN.
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:39 pm  Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the link H4L, and thanks Merlyn for the vid too Smile

hey, I bet it's so tempting to skate over that doorway with the ramp built around it when someone is coming through it, although would probably have to be banned due to it being risky if failed? Smile