Heelychat Forum Index
<  Commerce  ~  Rail or Lens?
Kain
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:57 pm  Reply with quote

Since I didn't win grand prize in the HSL comp, I was thinking about buying a round practice rail. But I also want a fisheye lens to make my vids look cool, and to use at heelys events. Which should I get?

"Passed away in silence
The flute from the realm unseen
Empties its heart
Making love to me
With its enchanting melody.
Light of Orion,
Shadow of Andromeda,
Call of the dancing Universe.
The labyrinth I must enter
Before thou can blame my soul
With an age of peace"

"Love me for who i am, love my soul...not the body it occupies, love my heart, not the desire it hides...and love me....for what i am..."

seth1230
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:03 pm  Reply with quote
Heelys Encyclopedia

I know cody made his own fisheye lens and it works better then alot of fisheye lens ive seen people buy for like really cheap online. So i'd say just youtube the way to make one and then buy the rail.

H4L&&&&BiGMaC BE MAH BFFLEZ
Heely Hailey
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:09 pm  Reply with quote
Team Heelys - Midwest

go for the rail, ramps.com has em for $35, thats what id do
up to u tho Wink

drummer: I'M HORNY
XxHeelyZxX: lol dont feel bad its normal xD
seth1230™: I AM HORNY TOO GUYS!
Hailey H.: are you acting gay?
AJ roth: NO!
Hailey H.: .. oh .. so your not acting?
GH: a plato is a larger peice of flat land that is elevated above the rest of the land
HeelysBabe: haha. It does have vert. My jeans make my butt look weird.
H33LYcRaZeD: I feel so lubed
HeelysBabe: Im selling my body
shifter1254: i read *incest whistle*
Big Mac: testy
JDH: i hate this rash! so itchy!
Slicer: use a condom next time
JDH: y?
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:39 am  Reply with quote

I'd say go for the rail (if you can get one that fits your requirements within your budget)

My reasoning is: the lens is just to make vids "look better" - whilst practising with the rail makes you ACTUALLY a better heeler (which can be seen in real life AND on video - whilst the effect of the lens is only visible on vids).

And BEING better from all the rail practise will make you look better anyway, so you get BOTH benefits from the rail (more skill, AND looking better whilst you heel) Smile

"The best part of falling is getting back up again"
sara48
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:07 am  Reply with quote

Shocked ramps.com ships to the uk!! looks like sara is getting a ROUND rail! (I can only find square ones over here)

anyway...back to the post lol - I think you should get the rail. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:51 am  Reply with quote

sara48 wrote:
Shocked ramps.com ships to the uk!! looks like sara is getting a ROUND rail! (I can only find square ones over here)

I already have my 8½ foot round rail, but I might want some other stuff from there, so if you get one, please let me know what the shipping costs were like for such a large/heavy item: when I try to purchase it says:
Quote:
Your shipping charge cannot be figured over the net.
You will be contacted with shipping cost before your order is processed.
Please complete your order at this time.

I'm always wary of companies which say: it's ok, commit to paying and don't worry about the amount yet, lol. Smile

sara48
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:28 am  Reply with quote

Merrie_England wrote:
sara48 wrote:

I already have my 8½ foot round rail, but I might want some other stuff from there, so if you get one, please let me know what the shipping costs were like for such a large/heavy item: when I try to purchase it says:
Quote:

I'm always wary of companies which say: it's ok, commit to paying and don't worry about the amount yet, lol. Smile

yeah it said that to me too, so I haven't ordered it yet, but I probably will soon unless I can find one elsewhere. I'll let you know how much shipping is when/if I get one Smile

where'd you get your rail from? and how much was it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IVI4V3R1CK
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:47 am  Reply with quote

I would say lens...

The rail does make for practicing easier, but then lens would make for shooting skate park vids a lot nicer...

Thats just me though...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ConnorHeelz
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:59 am  Reply with quote
Heelys Brand Rep

sara48 wrote:
Merrie_England wrote:
sara48 wrote:

Quote:

yeah it said that to me too, so I haven't ordered it yet, but I probably will soon unless I can find one elsewhere. I'll let you know how much shipping is when/if I get one Smile

if it doesnt let you do this i could PROBABLY order them.... and ship em' to the UK for you.... seeing as the ship the the US

2-2-07/Razzles)(4-13-07/Evolutions)(10-9-07/Clutches)
PEAR MEMBER: Pickle, Emily, Arly, Rawn-Tawn. REPRESENT!
i gots me .43723e=mc238034 ghetto points
Merrie_England
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

@Dodo: aww, that's sweet of you. I'll keep that in mind Smile

sara48 wrote:
Well I wanted a round one so I just kept my eyes peeled at Builders Merchants etc for long, strong steel poles. I was lucky I guess because mine cost me £10 from this little metal-working/welding place on an industrial estate.

You'd probably find similar in your area if you looked around, but you'd probably have to scope out some dodgy areas - all the cheap little welding factories seem to rent space there lol: so it's best done in a car rather than on foot! I grew up in the worst part of town tho so I'm used to them.

So, my rail is like a standard scaffolding pole: about 44mm outer diameter which seems perfect to me, and holds even my heaviest friends when they jump on it, without bending (the only reason it drops in the first grinds vid I put on youtube is because one end was just resting on a box, and my weight was squishing that box). My steel is also the galvanised kind, which helps in our weather because it won't rust, although that did make the texture rougher, meaning it needed a little waxing.

Then I decided to make some adjustable supports for it. I wanted to be able to make either side high or low, and to be able to grind along the whole length (nearly nine feet) so what I purchased was a pre-treated railway sleeper (won't rot), and sawed it into three nice big 34inch long chunks - only really need two chunks to support each end, but since I had enough wood I decided if I had 3 I could stack them to make one end higher etc. I sawed some groves in the sleepers for it to rest in, and the fact that the support blocks are so big and heavy is great because it means even if I really throw my weight at it from a run up, it doesn't budge. The railway sleeper was the most expensive part, since it was serious piece of quality timber: it cost me about £19 from a wood yard, so that's £29 so far for the adjustable 8½ foot rail. The next day somone was cutting down a HUGE tree on our street, leaving huge blocks of wood beside the road for scrapping, so I could have got the supports free, but I didn't know that the day before, LOL.

And then I decided I wanted some eyelets mounted on the railway sleepers, basically so that I could use the rail in more different ways/set-ups - it's basically like huge lego - I just set it up however I fancy for that day's practise, and when I'm used to that grind I try something different - more uphill, more downhill, whatever. For the eyelets I used strong hooks, the kind you get from B&Q etc as heavy-duty coat hooks, and I mounted two side by side, facing opposite directions, with room between to thread the pole in, and to lock it in place I simply twist the sleeper slightly. And then I added some extra weather proofing to the wood, just to be safe, but I already had that in the shed so no cost there but if you wanted a small pot it would cost you a few quid.

So, altogether, I guess my rail cost about £35 and a couple of hours work (sourcing parts/putting together). Hope that answers the question Smile