Heelychat Forum Index
<  General  ~  Bearings
Slicer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:42 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

Aaaaargh.

A couple trips through wet, very slightly muddy weather and I now am the proud owner of some dirty bearings. I've soaked them in detergent overnight and oiled them, but they're still a bit gritty inside.

It's not that hard to take them out- just use the axle to pry on them for a bit. They pop out and pop back in.

I can buy new, decent, durable ones (ABEC 3, but I don't think that matters much) for six bucks total, but I don't want to have to keep doing that. That's for my Big Deuces on my Evolutions- the Fats on my Fleet have specialty, smaller, non-regulation bearings that you just can't find in a skateboard shop.

Anyone have some unique bearing insights with respect to Heelys?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:25 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Slicer,

I recently became very interested in cleaning out my bearings to allow for faster travel and remove 9 or so months of grime. Here're my basic ways to clean (I'm gonna make a YouTube sometime soon about all of this)

(I'm not responsible for anything you do to your shoes, these are merely guidelines that have worked for me. If you mess up your Heelys, it's your fault and your problem)

1-Remove the wheels by pressing both thumbs on the sides of the wheels

2-Taking a QueTip and a paper towel, clean the wheel assembly in the shoe. For best results, put a tiny bit of WD-40 on the papertowel. This lets your cleaning job set better.

3-Using a QueTip and your fingers, clean off all the grime and (eww!) hair off your axel "heads" (the ends that fit into the rubber housing on the shoe)

4-Here comes the part where, if done wrong, you WILL ruin your Heelys. Taking one wheel in both hands, put your pointer finger, middle finger and thumb on each axel. Then, twist each so that they will (if you're going the right way) unscrew. Once totally unscrewed, you can clean the wheel and axels better.

NOTE: DO NOT try to "clean" the part of the axel in the actual wheel or the axel hole in the wheel. This will kill all the oil, and screw up your shoes. Only clean what's dirty on the outside (in the case of my Fleets, the part on the side of the wheel should shine a nice yellow)

Happy Heeling!
Slicer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:36 pm  Reply with quote
Museum Curator

Oh I've already done much worse than that.

I've already disassembled the entire wheel multiple times, given the bearings a thorough soaking in detergent, washed them, dried them with hot air, and then oiled them for good measure. There was a LOT of grit in there.

DONTGOTOMYSITE
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:59 am  Reply with quote

you need to buy speedwash and the best would be ceramic bearings
ogel916
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:24 pm  Reply with quote

my wheels are getting crappy so fast. it always makes this noise. it happened after i pipelined over water, but even after it dried, it still makes the noise. can i replace the big duece wheels with the mega? it seems the same size. just different style.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mx54
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:36 am  Reply with quote
Pwned

To get extremely high performance bearings go to bocabearings.com and look up skate bearings they should have them Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ogel916
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

its fixed and i figured out mega can replace big duece.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Heely Hailey
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:13 pm  Reply with quote
Team Heelys - Midwest

ogel916 wrote:
its fixed and i figured out mega can replace big duece.
Are you saying you'd prefer Mega over big duece, Personally I preffer Big Duece. I do own a pair of both, i wear my big duece for outdoors, like rough roads, or parking lots. However i use my Megas for skateparks and department stores. Although i do prefer big duece, mega outperforms big duece at skate parks.
ogel916
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

no, im saying if anything goes wrong with my big deuce, then i will replace it. i like big deuce more. it gives u more balnce.